Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

What is more useful an MA in TESOL or Applied Linguistics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is more useful an MA in TESOL or Applied Linguistics

What would be more useful for teaching in Japanese unis?
    Does anyone know any good online courses in these?
    Thanks

Originally posted by scoopa
    Thanks
    Most colleges ask for either of your two choices. Though I am guessing that TESOL/TEFL will probably edge Applied Linguistics nowadays.

Of course your question should be "What would be more useful for getting into Japanese unis"? seeing as all TEFL theory goes out of the window once you are teaching college students.

Comment

In Japan, its not going to make a lot of difference. However, if you wanted to go back home, the Applied Linguistics might be more benefitial than the TESOL.

Comment

Applied Linquistics will be more marketable outside of Japan and i dont know if your considering a doctorate or not but I've only seen Ed.D's in TESOL and I've only seen Ph.D.'s in Applied Linquistics. Then again it might not be an issue.

Vallient

Comment

Thanks

You are talking about distance learning, not really online. the only online I use is email to talk with my supervisor in the UK. It all depends on the depth of your wallet.

I have links on here

http://www.teachinginjapan.com/continuinged.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Comment

Thanks

If you are thinking of part time both are OK. They just get you into the interview.

Full time you had best have some publications, japanese ability, college teaching experience and connections.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by paulh
              If you are thinking of part time both are OK. They just get you into the interview.

Full time you had best have some publications, japanese ability, college teaching experience and connections.
              Or more importantly be a gaijin sycophant with some j relatives already working in uni that can get your foot in the door.
              Remember that teaching in japanese uni can really mess up your teaching, when you have to go out in the real world to teach.
              The apathy is contagious, should come with a health warning.

Comment

Originally posted by scipio
                Or more importantly be a gaijin sycophant with some j relatives already working in uni that can get your foot in the door.
                Remember that teaching in japanese uni can really mess up your teaching, when you have to go out in the real world to teach.
                The apathy is contagious, should come with a health warning.
                Right teaching in the real world is all about being macho and tough. Your not a real man until you have left Japan and slummed it with the big boys.

Teaching part time on low wages and no benefits overseas is for suckers.

Universities in japan, bad or not pay real salaries which pay real rent and real mortgages and buy real food and real clothes and buy real houses, and pay for real overseas holidays.

Really I must have been thinking I was in teaching Disneyland all this time. Cant have us getting too comfortable and actually enjoying our lives, can we.

I guess if I wanted to be a law professor I would havs studied Law, isnt that right Scipio?
                Last edited by paulh; 2006-04-07, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Right teaching in the real world is all about being macho and tough. Your not a real man until you have left Japan and slummed it with the big boys.
                  If your going to go out in the real world and think you're gonna get away with the Grammar Translation method, you're in for a big hurt.

If you think that an advanced uni class, anywhere else apart from NE Asia, is pre interm level who get dizzy with 'Headway', then get ready for the struggle.

Paul, you ain't cut the cheese until you have experience of language instruction in at least three countries.

You can have my schedule if you think its so easy, 13 classes a week this year.?
                  Some of the cherries who write on this site are doing nearly that in a day.

Universities in japan, bad or not pay real salaries which pay real rent and real mortgages and buy real food and real clothes and buy real houses, and pay for real overseas holidays..
                  Enjoy the experience, next year some dispatch coy 20 something drone will be doing your job for a quarter of the salary.

really I must have been thinking I was in Disney land all this time.?
                  It is Disneyland, jeeeeeeeeeeeezus where do you think you've been for the last 15 years???????

I guess if I wanted to be a law professor I would havs studied Law, isnt that right Scipiio?
                  I don't quite get this one, but if you're saying that it's ridiculous how someone can become a judge in japan without ever having experience of being a lawyer, I agree.
                  Also I would again repeat,'you ain't cut the cheese until you have experience of language instruction in at least three countries'.

The original post was written without you in mind,it was stating a fact about a lot of uni jobs in Japan, but you are always interesting, even when you're paranoid.

Comment

cut the cheese = fart
                    cut the mustard = achieve the required result

But I know what you meant.

BTW in my experience teaching P/T at uni here, there's absolutely no supervision or anyone forcing me to use Grammar-Translation. So your methodology or professional development can be whatever you make of it. If you're into research, the homogeneity of Japanese uni classes makes them ideal for doing studies that could help out a career teaching outside Japan. If you sit on your ass, well then you're right it could lead to becoming professionally obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by aha yes
                      cut the cheese = fart
                      cut the mustard = achieve the required result.
                      You're right, I am humbled. Jesus, 20+ years out of my country and I'm forgetting my idioms.
                      Luckily that one has not come up in any lesson.

Hiroshi to Homestay family. 'When you were younger, did you feel fulfilled, did you cut the cheese?

Host family. No, flatulence has never made us feel that way.
                      Last edited by scipio; 2006-04-07, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scipio
                        If your going to go out in the real world and think you're gonna get away with the Grammar Translation method, you're in for a big hurt.
                        Grammar Translation is used in high school. Japanese professors teach the English Lit classes and translate word for word in Japanese and teach seniors

If you think that an advanced uni class, anywhere else apart from NE Asia, is pre interm level who get dizzy with 'Headway', then get ready for the struggle.
                        Advanced in what? ESL classes? ESP? teaching English to doctors? I have taught returnee students in my time. Free or guided conversation. Content courses taught only in English. Can be done in Japan. How is an advanced class overseas different from one in Japan, apart from differnet ethnic groups and motivation?

I have seen and heard of ESL classes for foreign students, they have them for foreign students at my home campus.

I have also taught reading classes, writing and TOEIC, not just oral communication classes to freshman

Paul, you ain't cut the cheese until you have experience of language instruction in at least three countries.
                        Theres a good debate on this topic going on at Daves cafe between two PhDs about Japanese EFL courses Vs overseas ESL courses (Saudi Arabia and Korea)

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=37214

Some of the cherries who write on this site are doing nearly that in a day.
                        Maybe you dont know unis have 90 minute lessons

They will be there till midnight, mine are 90 minutes long 13 classes is an equivalent of 20-25 high school classes. So I suppose teaching so many classes is just a walk in the park, go through the motions etc.

Enjoy the experience, next year some dispatch coy 20 something drone will be doing your job for a quarter of the salary.
                        they are already doing it but i will always be on a higher salary than those guys. Work is getting more competitives though and standards are going down the toilet with ECC and NOVA getting in on the act. Perks are pretty nice too while they are on 6 month temporary contracts.

It is Disneyland, jeeeeeeeeeeeezus where do you think you've been for the last 15 years???????
                        supporting wife and kids.

I don't quite get this one, but if you're saying that it's ridiculous how someone can become a judge in japan without ever having experience of being a lawyer, I agree.
                        No Im saying if I wanted to teach overseas or other countries I would have got a teaching licence t home and become a high school teacher. Obviously you dont get an MEd in TESOL so you can teach back in NZ or Australia.

If I want to teach in Australia I will have to get state certified first.

You are simply saying that People working in Japanese universities arent real teachers, but someone with a teaching licence in NZ is.

Also I would again repeat,'you ain't cut the cheese until you have experience of language instruction in at least three countries'.

well im not going to drag my familuy around the world to prove a point. You make your bed you lie in it. I guess you are not married yet.

The original post was written without you in mind,it was stating a fact about a lot of uni jobs in Japan, but you are always interesting, even when you're paranoid.
                        Yes Im a certified basketcase.
                        Last edited by paulh; 2006-04-07, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Yes Im a certified basketcase.
                          You think you're being cute here and you'll never realise that you actually really, really are a basketcase. You're just a loser who couldn't make it anywhere else doing anything different but somehow you feel the right to put down the efforts of everyone else who comes to Japan and wants to have a little fun and have a little go at enjoying the country and culture.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil Minty
                            You think you're being cute here and you'll never realise that you actually really, really are a basketcase. You're just a loser who couldn't make it anywhere else doing anything different but somehow you feel the right to put down the efforts of everyone else who comes to Japan and wants to have a little fun and have a little go at enjoying the country and culture.

Emil Minty, I dont know what rock you crawled out from under, but seeing as you put so much stock in what jobs people do i will let you in on a little secret.

I have lasted in this country longer than many of you newbies have been to formal school. I started out with one suitcase and $1500 in student loans.

I have successfully raised two balanced bicultural children in this country.

My marriage while not perfect has lasted 15 years. Im still married to the same woman.

I speak the language to a high intermediate level.

I have a job here that does not require I speak or use English.

I have two graduate degrees.

My last job paid me over $US75,000 a year.

I own real estate.

I am also employable in whatever country i choose to emigrate to because of my qualifications and experience. Jobs with my experience and qualifcations currently pay around $AUS40,000 in Australia. What can you expect to earn if you went back.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil Minty
                              I dont know where you have been recently but now people come here wanting a little fun and they cant get a job. this is not 1990 and the bubble era.
                              i was here then too.

They work for the likes of GABA, NOVA, Interac and work for 170,000 yen, a month, no benefits, no insurance, no transportation. 3 -6 month contracts. Fired on a dime by greedy bosses. Work in a foreign country for less than they can earn at a fast food joint back home. Going rate at GABA is 1400 yen a lesson.

I dont put people down, I just tell them what to expect when they come here as thats all they can get Newbies who think the world owes them a living on the JET program. Comes as a rude shock when they get here and realise what language teaching is all about now.

What do they do? tell me i'm f--king old and jaded. Fine. At least i dont have to do their jobs.

(From Australia's Sydney Morning Herald daily newspaper)

http://smh.com.au/news/world/hard-le...098460885.html
                              Last edited by paulh; 2006-04-08, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X