Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

I have a passport but no post-sec education

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trip_hop
    I have a copy of the relevant law written in a book - there is no link.

Try a library.....

There is much more information available on Japan than arudo's site and the US embassy, they are not particularly comprehensive, and for that matter, neither is the internet.
    I have met numerous people in Japan who have Japanese citizenship plus that of another country.

Many of these people were in their 20s and 30s.

It really is a don't ask don't tell kind of thing. For example someone born in Japan who has one Japanese parent is by birth a Japanese citizen. To become a citizen of the other parents country they would have to be registered by that parent. If asked later in life if they are a citizen of that country all they have to do is deny ever being registered.

Comment

Originally posted by trip_hop
      I have a copy of the relevant law written in a book - there is no link.

Try a library.....

There is much more information available on Japan than arudo's site and the US embassy, they are not particularly comprehensive, and for that matter, neither is the internet.
      I meant that I started checking out information on dual-nationality after I read his essay, not that I based my conclusion on it. I can't really get to a library where I am, let alone find anything related to Japanese law in one (South African library looking for Japanese law books?). They might have something at the Japanese embassy here though. I find that interesting though since everything I've seen points to having to choose once you're 22...

(2002 Addendum, about this "keeping mum" business:
      The author became a Japanese citizen in October 2000. It became clear that as far as the USG and probably most European countries go, they will not squeal and let the GOJ know you have dual nationality. I can't assure you of the same for governments intolerant of their citizens taking out a second passport (Germany, South Korea, China, Viet Nam, etc), so check with your embassy.

"Anyway, as long as you live a reasonably quiet life, you can probably hold both. The author, a rather outspoken activist, was essentially threatened by the US Consulate Sapporo with cats out of bags for pursuing a US-Japan military human-rights issue a little too closely. So he gave up his US passport. However, this is not an indicative case by any means, so I say go for both if you really want to live in Japan permanently.)"

Hmm...an option I suppose.
      Last edited by Kaizen; 2006-06-28, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CLOWNPUNCHER
        I have met numerous people in Japan who have Japanese citizenship plus that of another country.

Many of these people were in their 20s and 30s.

It really is a don't ask don't tell kind of thing. For example someone born in Japan who has one Japanese parent is by birth a Japanese citizen. To become a citizen of the other parents country they would have to be registered by that parent. If asked later in life if they are a citizen of that country all they have to do is deny ever being registered.
        Exactly....and you won't find that written down...

Comment

Originally posted by sonya_w
          A few pieces of info that are pretty important are: I don't speak Japanese well, although I understand it fairly fluently (my mother is Japanese - thus the passport), I am 17, I speak English and French fluently and I have had previous experience working at movie theatres, daycare centres, etc.)

The kid is a "half" actually as only mother is Japanese. not 100% ethnic Japanese. Has a japanese passport but may as well be a gaijin with Japanese blood.

Comment

Originally posted by paulh
            The kid is a "half" actually as only mother is Japanese. not 100% ethnic Japanese. Has a japanese passport but may as well be a gaijin with Japanese blood.

Jesus Paul , You've lost the plot.Say if she was born and raised in Japan she would be more Japanese than gaijin.My kids were born here and are treated no differently than any other Japanese kid at school.

Comment

Originally posted by CLOWNPUNCHER
              Jesus Paul , You've lost the plot.Say if she was born and raised in Japan she would be more Japanese than gaijin.My kids were born here and are treated no differently than any other Japanese kid at school.

Say if she wasn't. Girl with Japanese mommy brought up in the US and speaks a little Japanese and native English.

My kids were born here too and japanese is their native language.

PS How long do you think it takes a teenager to become fluent in Japanese?

Comment

Get with the feckin tour

That is an ugly thing to write.

Any holder of a Japanese passport is Japanese. That's why they hold the passport. Don't go MacTojo on us here, paullie.

She's a 17 year old kid who wants to visit her Other Heritage. Let her have some fun.

I did it when I was that age. Boy, what a wake up call that was.

Comment

PS How long do you think it takes a teenager to become fluent in Japanese?
                  In her case since she's been exposed to Japanese all her life and says that she understands it quite fluently I'd say around a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane
                    She's a 17 year old kid who wants to visit her Other Heritage. Let her have some fun.

I did it when I was that age. Boy, what a wake up call that was.
                    How was Chechnya???

Comment

Heeeeeeeee Heeeeeeee

Originally posted by scipio
                      How was Chechnya???
                      You owe me a feckin screen clean, Skippy.

Damn, haven't been made to laugh by you in a while.

Feels good.

Man, you're in good shape these days.

Comment

Too little too late

Originally posted by ylgu era snijiag
                        are u not getting it? "gaijin with japaneseblood" thats just a messed up thing to say.

japanesepassport= japanese citezenship
                        I made the same point above.

Now go away.

Comment

A request

dont ever ever type to me unless i let u .
                          Could you come by later?

I need some mildly dirty gonch licked clean.

Comment

Look at the fools chasing their tails.
                            Attached Files

Comment

are u not getting it? "gaijin with japaneseblood" thats just a messed up thing to say.

japanesepassport= japanese citezenship
                              America is full of Nikkeis and sansei's who call themselves Japanese even though they have a US passport. Some also have dual nationality.

How 'Japanese' are Nikkei, and how American/western are people claiming to be Japanese?

Comment

America is full of Nikkeis and sansei's who call themselves Japanese even though they have a US passport. Some also have dual nationality.

How 'Japanese' are Nikkei, and how American/western are people claiming to be Japanese?
                                Who gives a ____?

My apartment got considerably dirtier after an impromptu party last night. I think I'll have to do the dishes before you come out here, sonya. In addition to the other stuff I need you to change the filter on my fan heater and store it for the winter... come to think of it, I need you to store all my winter clothes and bring out all my summer clothes. Clean the filter on the air conditioner, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X