Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Starting new business - getting around the "cannot work for multiple companies" issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting new business - getting around the "cannot work for multiple companies" issue

Hello all

I am new to this forum and would like to ask if anybody can give me some advice or point me in the right direction. I have searched this site extensively but have not come up with the answers which I am looking for. Anyway, here goes:

I am here on an Humanities VISA and working for a Japanese company. As Japanese law dictates, a person cannot work for more than one company at the same time, so therefore..

1) Can I register a company and start trading (would this legally be considered to be working for more than one company and presumed to be a no no?)?

2) If I create a corporation outside of Japan, can I use that in Japan and get around the "no working for more than one company" rule?

It would be greatly appreciated if anybody can give me some advice and point me in the right direction, as I a pretty much stuck at the moment.

Many thanks in advance

David

Originally posted by cloudos7
    HI am here on an Humanities VISA and working for a Japanese company. As Japanese law dictates, a person cannot work for more than one company at the same time, so therefore..
    Japanese law does not say that. You employer says that so that you dont overwork steal students from him or have your second job interfere with your main one. People hold second jobs all the time while sponsored under one employer. Only public servants are not allowed to have second jobs e.g. JET teachers.

1) Can I register a company and start trading (would this legally be considered to be working for more than one company and presumed to be a no no?)?
    Outside work hours and your main job your life is your own. Your boss can not tell you what to do in your private life.

2) If I create a corporation outside of Japan, can I use that in Japan and get around the "no working for more than one company" rule?

Who the hell told you you cant work for more than one company? When I started out I was full time and part time at three universities on one visa. Tell your boss where to stick his rules and regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by cloudos7
      As Japanese law dictates, a person cannot work for more than one company at the same time, so therefore..
      Actually, KB makes a good point.

The only relevant Japanese law I am aware of is that which proscribes any person from wearing 2 pairs of straw sandals simultaneously.

Which makes rather good sense, if you have ever tried to break that law.

If nothing else, you look like a dork, and walking isn't much fun either.

Comment

Lawyers charge work to several companies at the same time, so it must be legal.

Comment

Wow, I never knew that was a law.
          ...and all this time I thought that I looked cool wearing two pairs of straw sandals at the same time. Painful walking is a small price to pay for being a trendsetter!

Oh yeah, working more than one job is okay. Comapanies come up with the "you can only work for us" rule all the time. This is their little way of trying to dominate you and control your life until you are a hollow shell of the person that you once were. Then you die from stress.

Welcome to Japan.

Comment

No wonder the neighbourhood kids call you Wara no wara-ji jiji.

Okay, BOT.........................................

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I thought the rules were pretty stupid and was willing to write it off as "another Japan thing". But now I can go and do what I want to my heart's delight.

Regarding the issue of setting up a company overseas and then using that company to run in Japan, do you know if it is a simple process? I am from Australia and I can set up a company there faster (and cheaper!) than getting it done here. I read something that Japan is cracking down on that since they do not like that kind of regime. Any thoughts?

Many thanks

David

Comment

Setting up a company in Japan is fast and easy. I got mine going in a day (after a bit of background research). They staff at the tax office were acutally quite helpful.

If you set one up in OZ and ran it over here you might encounter some potentially large tax headaches.

Comment

I am actually thinking about the same thing. BUT I was told by the folks at IMMIGRATION and Hello Work that having I cannot start my own business because my Humanities Visa is to be an employee, not an entrepreneur. They said that I could very easily be an employee in another company that does the thing I want to do, but I am not allowed to start my own business with my current Visa. They even suggested that if I have a friend with a small business, I could do all the work and basically do everything I wanted, but I would have to do it as an employee in my friend's company.
                  I asked/called a few different branches on different days about this and they all had the same story. Very unusual for people in offices to have the same story, but it happened this time.

Comment

Originally posted by nynapaj
                    I am actually thinking about the same thing. BUT I was told by the folks at IMMIGRATION and Hello Work that having I cannot start my own business because my Humanities Visa is to be an employee, not an entrepreneur. They said that I could very easily be an employee in another company that does the thing I want to do, but I am not allowed to start my own business with my current Visa. They even suggested that if I have a friend with a small business, I could do all the work and basically do everything I wanted, but I would have to do it as an employee in my friend's company.
                    I asked/called a few different branches on different days about this and they all had the same story. Very unusual for people in offices to have the same story, but it happened this time.

Here's a hint ... can think of any part of the bureaucratic process required to establish a company in Japan whereby you need to report or secure permission from Immigration or HelloWork? There is none - and they have nothing to do with establishing your own business.

Comment

Interesting question. How often does Japanese Immigration crack down on work done outside of the permission stated in your visa?

Comment

Yeah, that would be interesting. I think this system sucks because setting up a company would actually bring in money to the economy. I mean, even the registration fee would be an incentive.

Presume that we can find a way to set up a company on a humanities visa, what would be the best way or approach to set up a company?

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling
                          Here's a hint ... can think of any part of the bureaucratic process required to establish a company in Japan whereby you need to report or secure permission from Immigration or HelloWork? There is none - and they have nothing to do with establishing your own business.

You have to seek permission from immigration to do jobs outside your specific visa status, and its impossible to say they wont find out. What do you say to them if they find you are doing jobs on the sly? They dont have anything to do with your business but they have a lot to do with you violating Japanese immigration laws.

PS a company set up in Australia will be just that- a foreign company registered overseas but it wont have any presence in Japan unless you set up a foreign branch here.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen
                            PS a company set up in Australia will be just that- a foreign company registered overseas but it wont have any presence in Japan unless you set up a foreign branch here.
                            Your erudition is simply jaw dropping. Thanks for pointing ut the finer aspects of international company law and enlightening us with your detailed knowledge of the subject at hand.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen
                              You have to seek permission from immigration to do jobs outside your specific visa status, and its impossible to say they wont find out. What do you say to them if they find you are doing jobs on the sly? They dont have anything to do with your business but they have a lot to do with you violating Japanese immigration laws.

One really has to go out of their way to trigger any enforcement issues by Immigration. More likely a Chinese student on a student visa working full-time in blatant violation of her visa conditions. Or, recently there was a Chinese chef who was charged with working on the wrong visa type. However, if the OP is gainfully employed by a legit employer (and not in a trade like bars that are occasionally subject to raids by Immigration), that is generally all Immigration is going to want to confirm each time he renews his visa. They are not seeking information on nor care about moonlighting.

And, depending on what he is looking to do, he may not even need a full-blown corporation. All he may need is a sole proprietorship:

http://www.dannychoo.com/adp/eng/815...ietorship.html

For information on how to incorporate the equivalent of the US LLC (eg. GOdo Gaisha), look here:

http://yakitoreality.blogspot.com/20...-in-japan.html

Comment

Working...
                              X