Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

What degree should I go for?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What degree should I go for?

What degree should I go for if I intend to work in Japan, or E/SE Asia upon graduation? I'm 21, college dropout, so when I get my BSc I'll be at least 25.
    I could probably now live off my online income in poorer SE asia countries, but I'm going for a degree anyway so, what would you recommend me?
    Medical/financial degrees excluded btw., I'm more into technical degree's like construction engineering, geodetics, IT, except mechanical engineering.
    Also I'm willing to learn japanese during my study, so what do you say?
    Do you have any other tips about what can I do during study, to improve my chances of getting a job there?
    My motivation for moving there is simply lifestyle change and getting life experience.. Thinking about spending
    whole life in this place doesn't excite me at all, and if things work out ok I'm willing to make asia my new home.

Whatever you choose, you should be more than just "willing" to learn Japanese. Think of the reverse situation. A Japanese person says he wants to work in the USA, UK, Canada, etc. and says he'd be "willing" to learn English if that's what it would take.

Comment

Learn Japanese!!!

Dude, if you are not sure what you want to do, then find something you like and go for it. You like Japan, right? So why not major in Japanese?

If you wanna learn Japanese(fast and fun way) you should check out my friend's site:

http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com

Comment

Originally posted by tkyosam View Post
        Dude, if you are not sure what you want to do, then find something you like and go for it. You like Japan, right? So why not major in Japanese?

If you wanna learn Japanese(fast and fun way) you should check out my friend's site:

http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com
        Get a proper skill/ qualification first. You may not be in Japan all of your life, and Japanese is not widely spoken in the rest of Asia - think Chinese?!?!

Too many people here who can speak English and Japanese, but have no marketable skills, other than being able to say the same thing in two languages!

Most professions in Japan require a very high level of Japanese, spoken and written, as well as the qualifications required to go with the job.

Think more of what you want for yourself as a job/ career, and then find somewhere to do it....

Comment

There are many people in Asia with a variety of degrees. Decide what line of work you want to pursue, then get a degree in a discipline that supports that aspiration.

I agree that majoring in a language in order to live in a country isn't a wise route. Imagine being a hiring official for a company back home, and you're looking for a human resources generalist. It's an entry-level position. You're interviewing a foreign guy who has no experience in the field, doesn't have his [your country] legs, and presents as his only qualifications his EFL major and a keen interest in your country (which, as his inexperience makes clear, is actually his fantasy-laden image of your country). Would that person stand much chance against the several domestic applicants who majored in HR administration and have internships on their record? After receiving his rejection letter, he calls you and asks what he should do to better groom himself for this position. What advice would you give to him?
          Last edited by gaijin ga iru; 2009-03-28, 02:05 AM.

Comment

I think you should go for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nl46l8XHvg

wow....

Comment

Working...
            X