Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Hot Dog Stand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Dog Stand

Do you know anyone who owns those hot dog stands/carts?

I wonder how much one can expect to make from them daily. Someone I know was selling mexican
    food from his "car" and was making a good profit, but never told me exactly how much.

Also would be interesting to find out how much a license for that costs. In Montreal a license to have a
    "mobile restaurant" that goes from work site to work site is 150 thousand dollars (insane...)

"mobile restaurant" ?

You need to pal up with a Japanese who will do the food handling course (wife/girlfriend or gimp ) kitchen will be inspected for hot water supply and waste disposal tank , you also need to have a double sink installed in the mobile unit. public liability insurance and away you go. Expect to be taxed by the local Yakuza if you manage to find a pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by AW1 View Post
      "mobile restaurant" ?

You need to pal up with a Japanese who will do the food handling course (wife/girlfriend or gimp ) kitchen will be inspected for hot water supply and waste disposal tank , you also need to have a double sink installed in the mobile unit. public liability insurance and away you go. Expect to be taxed by the local Yakuza if you manage to find a pitch.
      thank you for the information.

So there are no crazy license fees designed specifically for the "mobile restaurant"? Interesting about the Yakuza, it crossed my mind, but I never thought they'd really tax you.

Comment

A couple of months ago, I was walking along Meiji Dori from Harajuku towards Shibuya, and there was a guy with one of these hot dogs carts on a spot not far from the Harajuku crossing. It was the standard US style cart that they guy stands next to.

If you're in Tokyo, might be worth checking out if he's still there.

Comment

Originally posted by shiro-san View Post
          ... but I never thought they'd really tax you.
          A friend with a restaurant/pub - gets "taxed" by the local thugs - and by the police too. He pays the thugs in cash, and gives the police a "free dinner/drinks" party once a year and they all show up. By paying the thugs - they stay away and his paying customers are not frightened away, and by treating the cops - they don't hassle him over minors who sometimes slip in with their college friends.

Comment

Originally posted by shiro-san View Post
            thank you for the information.

So there are no crazy license fees designed specifically for the "mobile restaurant"? Interesting about the Yakuza, it crossed my mind, but I never thought they'd really tax you.
            I didn't think you were serious about starting up so I just gave you the bare bones.

Look a legal start up is pretty easy if you follow a few simple rules . You need to book the 3 day Shokuhineisei Koshukai with the Hokenjo (cost) \1000 . You now have a paper that will allow you to trade . The Japanese call the paper a licence and you can open a pub or whatever you want . The unit you use must be inspected also ,
            3 sinks for a pub and 2 sinks for a mobile.

Ever been to a Matsuri ? Not a sink in sight or a paper displayed to show anybody is legal to trade. well the cryptic clue is all festivals are taxed , run and owned by somebody(kai)

Most of the mobiles in Tokyo who are "sinkless" are run by the Chinese who have their own protection .The newer mobs are the Israeli's ( pictures & cheep jewelry) Iranians & Turks (kebab & chips) If a late night hawker with a hot dog stand has a western complexion ? more than likely is on a strange visa and piggy backing off the Israeli's .

Now in your case you want to be a street legal vendor and make money with no taxation involved . You need to be in a smaller town and to start shaking hands with the local politico's who will give you a free hand at school festivals , International exchange events , Shopping mall promotions , even the smaller shrines and a dozen other events that take place every month which you alone could not cover , there are so many .

I have a converted Suzuki Kei truck selling my own version of Takoyaki .

Comment

Working...
            X