Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Any jobs besides english teacher?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any jobs besides english teacher?

If you speak english only and spotted at best Japanese, I mean seriously what kind of job can you expect?
    Last edited by kickinit76; 2012-07-08, 11:22 AM.

Unfortunately, judging by the quality of your phrasing and spelling, being an English Teacher in Japan is all you're really capable of...........and even then, as a non-native level speaker, you will probably have trouble finding work in that field.

If you're not desperate, as you say, why not hit the books, study Japanese intensively, and look for work in something closer to your field (mechanics, etc.).

Unfortunately, your relatively lower level of English ability will not help you in competition with properly native English instructors, but with some Japanese skill, you might also be able to get a job teaching English to Japanese technicians, and this would allow you to use your own training and expertise in technical areas, as well as teaching them the English they need.

It could prove to be a bit of an edge for you in a tough job market.

Good luck, either way.

Comment

Thank you for the input, I was actually on my Iphone when I wrote that thread.

Comment

Dont want to state the obvious here, but if you dont want to teach English (or there are no jobs anyway) and you cant speak Japanese then you become functionally illiterate.

What are you qualified to do apart from the skills you already have?

Proofreading, editing, voice actors. Bit roles in movies. Work in restaurants. Day laborer.

Originally posted by kickinit76 View Post
        If you speak english only and spotted at best Japanese, I mean seriously what kind of job can you expect?

I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade but have alot of other experience, jobs are pretty scarse. No roppongi jobs, no english teaching, what else is there?

I need a job, but not desperate just looking for options.

Comment

Finance, IT, anything that requires an extremely high degree of specialization that the Japanese cannot provide on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
            Finance, IT, anything that requires an extremely high degree of specialization that the Japanese cannot provide on their own.
            Really? Then why cant I go into politics?

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
              lol.. So what are the chances of someone with a CompSci degree and 26 years of unix software development (C, C++, perl, PHP, RDBMS, LAMP, shell, html, css, js (NO JAVA)), native English and cr*ppy Japanese ability? :-P I'm betting zippo.. :-P

Comment

Originally posted by kickinit76 View Post
                Any jobs besides english teacher? .

Love Machine!

Comment

Originally posted by jron View Post
                  lol.. So what are the chances of someone with a CompSci degree and 26 years of unix software development (C, C++, perl, PHP, RDBMS, LAMP, shell, html, css, js (NO JAVA)), native English and cr*ppy Japanese ability? :-P I'm betting zippo.. :-P
                  You good at Perl? I know the IT head of Mixi(the social networking site). He is looking for good Perl guys for his team. No Japanese is ok! Pay is good and its kind of a...cool environment.

EDIT -- Sorry just realized you are in the US

Comment

Originally posted by jron View Post
                    I'd say pretty good, though not having anywhere near those qualifications and not having searched for work with those qualifications I may be entirely wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakebullet View Post
                      You good at Perl? I know the IT head of Mixi(the social networking site). He is looking for good Perl guys for his team. No Japanese is ok! Pay is good and its kind of a...cool environment.

EDIT -- Sorry just realized you are in the US
                      I plan on moving to Japan this fall.....

lol.. I know perl, and I'm good at it.. But I faking HATE it.. :-P lol...
                      But hey, if it gets me a visa then great.. :-P

God, mixi uses perl? ugh...
                      My main gripe against the language is that it is basically unmaintainable compared to other languages.

Comment

Yeah, PERL sucks. I studied it long enough to figure out what was happening, and realize that I never want to touch it again. Not a great language in my books.

Comment

Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
                          Love Machine!
                          lol...........................
                          Last edited by kickinit76; 2012-07-08, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                            Dont want to state the obvious here,....... What is obvious?

but if you dont want to teach English ........End of story

(or there are no jobs anyway) ....... Only if you are offering one of the positions below .

and you cant speak Japanese .......so what ?

then you become functionally illiterate. ...... Ah jezzus now dats hilarious ... functionally illiterate

What are you qualified to do apart from the skills you already have?..... I'm functionally illiterate and can do

Proofreading, editing, voice actors. Bit roles in movies. Work in restaurants. Day laborer.
                            FruitcakeBen

Comment

Originally posted by AW1 View Post
                              FruitcakeBen
                              a person who can not read their phone bill, labels on packages, can't fill out an application, can not ask directions in Japanese nor is able to apply for a commutation ticket unaided is illiterate in my opinion.

Not being able to read write or speak Japanese in a country of 120 million native speakers basically makes you an idiot.
                              Last edited by KansaiBen; 2011-01-21, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X