Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

How to start...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to start...?

This might sound pretty ridiculous to most of you out there but I would really love to get any help I can.

I am 19 and I have been studying in Japan for about a year soon and I am doing N3 (JLPT 3) this July.
    I am going back to Sweden soon (in July) and in August I am starting University that will take 4 years.
    I am going to study Business and Administration and after that I am planning to somehow get to Japan. Though I am also planning to be studying Japanese on my own until I come back and hopefully take N2 and N1 until I am back so that I have that on my CV, I heard it's pretty impossible to get a job if you don't have N1.

So... I just wonder.
    What are the odds for a graduated 24-year old to get a job in Japan (also being a woman)?
    I'm interested in working in Japanese banks, but any company pretty much is fine.

Is there any advices that I should think of/do along the way?
    I am also planning to go as an exchange student after my 3rd year and then study at either Waseda or Chuo University for a year.

But, where can I begin?

Originally posted by Anikapikapika View Post
    But, where can I begin?
    How about getting a degree?

Edit: For something useful...

Comment

But if I want to work in a bank etc. or with business overall I think the degree I am thinking of taking is pretty on the right path, no?

Comment

You have my full support. Work hard and good luck to you!

Comment

But if I want to work in a bank etc. or with business overall I think the degree I am thinking of taking is pretty on the right path, no?
          If you are so keen to work in a japanese bank you are better off going to a Japanese university. Foreign degrees arent that highly regarded here.

Comment

If you are so keen to work in a japanese bank you are better off going to a Japanese university. Foreign degrees arent that highly regarded here.
            It also helps that a lot of Zaibatsu Banks are looking at hiring more foreign graduates. For Example Mitsubishi UFJ is reporting a lofty goal of having at least 30% of its incoming employees to be non-Japanese grads.

Comment

What's so appealing about working at a bank?

Comment

Though I am also planning to be studying Japanese on my own until I come back and hopefully take N2 and N1 until I am back so that I have that on my CV, I heard it's pretty impossible to get a job if you don't have N1.
                Its pretty impossible to get any job (anywhere) unless you have solid language skills, some work experience and connections. Having a business and management degree is no guarantee of a job. Just ask the thousands of people laid off on Wall St in the last 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                  Absolutely agree with this statement.

If you graduate from a foreign university (and unfortunately, during those 3 years of study you are almost definitely going to forget the vast majority of the Japanese you have learnt until now) you are going to graduate, come back here, you will most definitely end up being an English teacher. Attending a Japanese University and studying business here would be a far more useful thing to do if you are serious about working in Japan long term. Also ... in JLPT the difference between level 4 and 3 is tiny, but the difference between 3 and 2 is huge. If its taken a year studying FULL TIME to get to level 3, I would predict you will need at least another 2 years to get the level 2. But you wont be studying full time anymore right? Probably never going to happen unfortunately.

I dunno how to say this nicely, but this all just sounds like such a waste of your time. . . I know about 5 people off the top of my head who have got business degrees, and are fluent in Japanese (JLPT Level 1 or 2) and are STILL stuck in the Eikaiwa teaching jobs, albeit at a slightly higher level than your fresh off a plane graduate. The problem is that there are a lot of Japanese who also have business degrees. And a lot of those people also speak English to a very high level. I don't really know what you would do here? Remember that these Japanese companies are only allowed to hire you if a Japanese people can not do the job. And If you are going for a regular Japanese job, then generally Japanese people CAN do them which means no visa for you.

I don't really know what else to say to you

Comment

Thank you everyone of you who gave me serious answers.
                    I would love to go to a Japanese University if I could choose but the problem is of course money.

So, I might have to stick with the fact of going to University in my home country (Sweden) because it is free there.
                    But, isn't there any chance at all for me to get a job in Japan even if I have my degree?
                    What could I possibly do now that I can't go to a Japanese University?

Comment

So, I might have to stick with the fact of going to University in my home country (Sweden) because it is free there.
                      But, isn't there any chance at all for me to get a job in Japan even if I have my degree?
                      Not to sound pedantic, the question is what you have to offer employers that they cant get from a local employee, who also happen to speak the language.

Why do you want to work in a Japanese bank in particular? and dont forget...... you will likely be the only foreign employee there. If you can develop some connection with Sweden e.g trade, exporting, international finance, that a Japanese employee can't tap into you will have better luck here.

Comment

...But, isn't there any chance at all for me to get a job in Japan even if I have my degree?
                        Unless you`ve got a marketable skill which the Japanese want probably no.

However, what KB wrote below might be worth a try:

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                        .... If you can develop some connection with Sweden e.g trade, exporting, international finance, that a Japanese employee can't tap into you will have better luck here.

Comment

Thank you everyone of you who gave me serious answers.
                          I would love to go to a Japanese University if I could choose but the problem is of course money.

You can actually do any job you wish in Japan if you have proper skills and of course if you are fluent in the language, can read and write just like Japanese do. You are young and have all your life ahead of you and opportunities are calling for you. Please don't get discouraged by most regulars here and follow your dreams. You can do it if you think that you really can.

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderfool View Post
                            You can actually do any job you wish in Japan if you have proper skills and of course if you are fluent in the language, can read and write just like Japanese do.
                            most countries want to employ their own nationals first before hiring a foreigner unless there is some abiding reason a foreigner should be hired. The operative word being skills, and not just a newly minted degree. Again, why would a Japanese bank hire a foreigner in Japan?

You are young and have all your life ahead of you and opportunities are calling for you. Please don't get discouraged by most regulars here and follow your dreams. You can do it if you think that you really can.
                            Most of the regulars actually live here. A degree, I will add, will get your toe in the door and your phone calls answered. The rest is up to you.

Comment

I totally understand that the Japanese companies hire the Japanese first. Right now I don't really have some remarkable skill that would make them consider hiring me before the Japanese. But I thought maybe doing a lot of internships in Japan and in Europe and then somehow getting my CV filled. I don't know if it could help that I can speak Swedish, English, Serbo-croatian and German (and hopefully Japanese by then). I mean, if that could be some way of showing that I have some skills at least by showing that I can speak a couple of languages.

Also, I have no contacts what so ever in Japanese firms. I have never known how to get contacts but I am very eager to know more about everything I just don't know where to start that's why I posted here, I am really thankful for all advices I get.

Comment

Working...
                              X