Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Top

Collapse

Why a degree?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • No idea I only have highschool

    Bachelor of Trolling?

    Seriously you need a degree these days. Not only to increase the chance of getting and keeping a job, but for your selfworth and confidence it's great to have. If you have an university degree it means you are capable of studying and it means you have achieved something in life. Sure some degrees will not get you a job, but it's always better to have a degree then having nothing at all.

    Coming from a guy who dropped out..

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Genkii View Post
      No idea I only have highschool

      Bachelor of Trolling?

      Seriously you need a degree these days. Not only to increase the chance of getting and keeping a job, but for your selfworth and confidence it's great to have. If you have an university degree it means you are capable of studying and it means you have achieved something in life. Sure some degrees will not get you a job, but it's always better to have a degree then having nothing at all.

      Coming from a guy who dropped out..
      You are not adding any thing new to the thread. The main reason why started the thread is to see if it is possible for example to gain the same experience and skill as a Phd in Mathematics without out going to a university.

      The way I understand your comment is that the university is like a right of passage rather then a requirement for certain occupation.

      You need to read the rest of the thread , instead of making egotistical comments.
      Last edited by LinuxFun; 2012-04-15, 11:05 AM.

      Comment


      • This is why we should have a decentralize approach to higher education.

        http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/educa...ges_04-10.html

        An alternative view:

        http://math.stackexchange.com/questi...athematics-jou
        Last edited by LinuxFun; 2012-04-15, 06:02 PM.

        Comment


        • Here is some example for mathematic for self -learning approach:

          http://math.stackexchange.com/questi...th-mathematics

          http://mathoverflow.net/questions/71...ematics-closed

          http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~abhishe....htm#e:algebra



          Can a person become a mathematician with out a degree?
          How would this help a foreignter in japan.?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by thefg


            and so endeth my involvement with this silly thread - I have trash bins to empty
            So much for that promise.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by LinuxFun View Post
              This is why we should have a decentralize approach to higher education.....?


              Isn't it too late for you to NOT get an education??? Hasn't your ship already sunk?? Haven't all your chickens already flown the coop ??
              Last edited by well_bicyclically; 2012-04-28, 01:38 PM.

              Comment


              • education is over rated.

                All you need is sh!t loads of money.
                Last edited by Chromedome; 2012-04-27, 10:08 PM.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Chromedome View Post
                  education is over rated.

                  All you need is sh!t loads of money.
                  Beside being expensive to attend college. There are more grauduates then job's position.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by LinuxFun View Post
                    Beside being expensive to attend college. There are more grauduates then job's position.
                    But think of the scintillating conversations you could have with the other people in line at Hello Work!!
                    ... glass half full, my friend!!

                    Comment


                    • College graduates make more money than non-graduates, excluding the freaks like Zuck or Gates that go into business and actually make it. The fact is that most hiring managers, correctly or not, prefer candidates with advanced degrees. If you want to teach English forever, that is obviously not a concern. But even then if you want to teach at a university someday or have a "real" teaching job, having a degree helps. Pretending otherwise is just ignoring reality.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by coolgaijin View Post
                        College graduates make more money than non-graduates, excluding the freaks like Zuck or Gates that go into business and actually make it. The fact is that most hiring managers, correctly or not, prefer candidates with advanced degrees. If you want to teach English forever, that is obviously not a concern. But even then if you want to teach at a university someday or have a "real" teaching job, having a degree helps. Pretending otherwise is just ignoring reality.
                        In American the college debt just exceeded 1 trillion dollars. If a student graduated with a $24,000 in dept they would not be able to support themselve and pay there loan. Over eighty percent of the jobs does not require a 4 year degree. Please do your research, sending majority of our population to an university will not increase productivity only dept.

                        Comment


                        • Research #1 http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm


                          Research #2 http://soc101.files.wordpress.com/20...-ethnicity.jpg

                          Sirs, you are entitled to your own opinions. But you are not entitled to your own facts. That said, a business degree or a computer degree go way farther than some worthless liberal arts degree. But even teachers in US make more than the guys that work at Wendy's full-time. Having a degree opens up the door for you to apply for better jobs, to get better resume, make more money and yeah even pay down the student loan. Average student debt is 40k dollars. Assuming the average wage gap, you pay it off in 3 years. That's without factoring in tax discounts for student loans, and without looking at higher end degrees.

                          The law of averages holds here. College graduates make more than high school graduates, and have more opportunities and better careers. They get married longer and are unemployed less in life. The guys like Zuckerburg are 1 in a million, it doesn't happen for most people. And even when it does they come from millionaire families and drop out of Harvard.

                          It isn't about getting a piece of paper or being smart, it's about pedigree. Exceptional companies hire exceptional people. Yeah there are more unemployed than jobs, but that's because Jethro is too good to work the jobs that Juan and Jesus the gardeners are willing to do for minimum wage. Here in Japanistan, being unemployed is nearly unheard of for young men except among the ultra-elite who needn't work (this is a whole other social problem where the best and brightest don't economically participate, but I will not get into that here).
                          Last edited by coolgaijin; 2012-05-28, 06:24 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Having a college degree without the work experience is useless. Nowadays, in America, we have a glut of people with a college degree. There is only a limited amount of good paying jobs. At the end of the day, someone still has to pick up the garbage and clean the toilet.

                            A lot of people think that the solution is to rack up debt, earn a degree, and hope to get a better paying job. That is the wrong idea. The right idea is to go to technical school, prove yourself in the workplace, and have your employer pay for your college education and specialization.

                            All I know is that there are going to be plenty of people in my generation who have been racking up college debt and will get a cold hard dose of reality after graduation. Let's not even talk about the bs myth of teacher and healthcare workers in America. It is a fabricated lie by corporations in order to create a glut of qualified candidates and increase their operating margin. For example, let's talk about the bs shortage of math teachers in America. For every job opening, there are at least 30-40 applicants. That is the reality.

                            Nothing in life is a sure thing. But, you need to make corporations work for you instead of racking up debt for just a chance.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Nightwalker View Post
                              Having a college degree without the work experience is useless. Nowadays, in America, we have a glut of people with a college degree. There is only a limited amount of good paying jobs. At the end of the day, someone still has to pick up the garbage and clean the toilet.

                              A lot of people think that the solution is to rack up debt, earn a degree, and hope to get a better paying job. That is the wrong idea. The right idea is to go to technical school, prove yourself in the workplace, and have your employer pay for your college education and specialization.

                              All I know is that there are going to be plenty of people in my generation who have been racking up college debt and will get a cold hard dose of reality after graduation. Let's not even talk about the bs myth of teacher and healthcare workers in America. It is a fabricated lie by corporations in order to create a glut of qualified candidates and increase their operating margin. For example, let's talk about the bs shortage of math teachers in America. For every job opening, there are at least 30-40 applicants. That is the reality.

                              Nothing in life is a sure thing. But, you need to make corporations work for you instead of racking up debt for just a chance.
                              The sad thing is college debt can not be discharged throgh bankruptcy.
                              Last edited by LinuxFun; 2012-05-29, 04:45 AM.

                              Comment


                              • Actually, I support making education more costly and unattainable. The reality is that we have limited roles in a functional society. Not everyone can be an engineer, doctor, or executive making over 200k a year. Someone has to do the menial tasks. Nowadays, you have too many schools pumping out retards and assigning them certifications. Therefore, employers have a tougher time identifying talented people. The only way for distinguished talent to emerge from the pile is to rack up more certification and specialization. Of course, this strategy will not work if every retard opts for the same method. Therefore, you need to make education more expensive and unattainable in order to weed out the weak people. Another efficient way is to close down some programs and enact a height standard for graduation.

                                I think this generation is going to be the one that dispels the notion of higher education equating more earning power.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X