Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Advice on english-speaking job in IT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on english-speaking job in IT?

Hi, im a 22 year old from Manchester, UK, and only starting to learn japanese. I've always wanted to learn and work in toyko or similar area in japan, but I was so busy the last 5 years i spent in college i couldnt get on a japanese course.

Im learning slowly in my own time with difference sources and trying to make friends with japanese people to help teach me, and hope to get a job here then get a part time japanese course as they seem very costly.

I have a BTEC National Diploma in ICT Practitioners in IT & Business with the highest mark (Triple Distinction), and yes i may not have great GSCE's with 2 C's and rest e's, f's... but I been one of the "top" students in IT and won student of the year for being so dedicated to my IT course and helping others...

What and how would i get a job wit this qualification and college experience in toyko (or around the kanto region etc) and if I really HAVE to understand japanese well to start with? Is there any way of getting a english speaking job with this qualification in japan and learn the language there?

Plus: What is the costs (including visas)? Should i get a IT job in manchester here first and save up so much money (and how much) or will i get support to find a place to live and a job when in japan?

I'm rather poor, had no money all my life, my mum doesn't work and i just left college struggling to find a job here as it is.. I heard there are "exchanges" where I could get to japan for free... how do I go about getting to japan and getting an IT job

PS: Hope I placed this in the right forum board/topic - if not I apologise.. im new to all this.

Originally posted by thewolfydragon View Post
    PS: Hope I placed this in the right forum board/topic - if not I apologise.. im new to all this.
    Hmmm. No university degree so that rules you out of most working visas.

No degree but 10 years working experience will score you a Skilled Labor visa if they like you.

Whats your working experience like?

Comment

Having no job experience and no Japanese skills is a bad mix. As you state yourself, the 'set-up' cost in Japan is quite high, i.e. flight, furniture, apartment fees, etc.

I would first get a job in the UK, work for a couple of years to build up skill and continue with the Japanese learning. Maybe even chose a company which also has a presence in Japan for a future transfer.

Comment

thanks for the advice. I almost thought as much but just wanted to check which was the best way to go about it.

I did plan to go to Uni to get a degree... but sadly even with the grants & funding... paying over £4000 a year is not an option for me as i don't even have £1 to my name lol

Btw does it really take 10 years experience? I heard it was between 5-6 years without degree, and 1-2 years with.. correct me im wrong and was misinformed about that. still im continuing learning the japanses and hope to get a job soon to start off my experience.. even if it does take 10 years

Anyway thanks for replies so far,

Comment

10 years is the number immigration has set.

Comment

Originally posted by thewolfydragon View Post
            Btw does it really take 10 years experience? I heard it was between 5-6 years without degree, and 1-2 years with.. correct me im wrong and was misinformed about that. still im continuing learning the japanses and hope to get a job soon to start off my experience.. even if it does take 10 years

Anyway thanks for replies so far,
            Its 10 years including any related job training or gaining of qualifications. That includes going to trade schools etc. Its probably easiest to get a job, go to school part time and later on try and convert your credits to a university based course.

Comment

You're from the UK, so you can get a Working Holiday Visa for one year. It's very easy to get, no qualifications required. However, it's not a long term pass to Japan and, as others have said, a working visa legally requires a college degree or many years of working experience which you don't have. So you would most likely have to leave again after your Working Holiday Visa expires (if you don't marry a Japanese citizen). Also, your chances of getting a job in IT with no Japanese skills and no experience are close to zero, but I wouldn't recommend going that route anyway. Search the forum to find lots of threads with bad experiences working for Japanese IT companies. If you just want to experience Japan your best bet is to teach English for a year and then go home.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogopuschel View Post
                Also, your chances of getting a job in IT with no Japanese skills and no experience are close to zero, but I wouldn't recommend going that route anyway. Search the forum to find lots of threads with bad experiences working for Japanese IT companies. If you just want to experience Japan your best bet is to teach English for a year and then go home.
                how about no Japanese skills and 27 years IT (SW dev) experience.. :-P
                ( lol.. I'm thinking its going to be English teaching for at least 2 years.. (well, that and keeping my USA customers))

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                  Hmmm. No university degree so that rules you out of most working visas.

No degree but 10 years working experience will score you a Skilled Labor visa if they like you.

Whats your working experience like?
                  You only need a diploma to get an engineering visa, the tough part is getting a job lined up beforehand.

Comment

Working...
                  X