Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Career Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career Advice

All -

I am American and work for a management consulting firm in Tokyo. I started in my company's office in San Francisco, and then transfered to Tokyo two years ago.

I am now being told by my company that I have to go back to San Francisco. However, for personal reasons, I would prefer to stay in Tokyo.

My Japanese is somewhere between JLPT N4 and N3. I started studying Japanese when I moved to Japan.

If the readers of this forum have any advice on how to go about searching for a job, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

1) Click the link up at the top right that says "Jobs".

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
      1) Click the link up at the top right that says "Jobs".
      Which side is my right? Help me, EA!

Comment

It's the side that's not on your wrong.

Comment

Weak Japanese skills.
          What is your degree in?

Pretty much points to teaching English unless you can find another company with similar needs to your current one.

What is your visa status?

Comment

Judging from the OP's name, he might be able to do better than teaching English if he's willing to play doctor and "prescribe" some pills...

Comment

Wow – in management consulting, or at least working in such a firm, and canft figure out how to look for a job. Unbelievable.

Luckily- there are those here without that pedigree, and they will help you.

Ifd start by meeting with all of your prior contacts – for courtesy visits to see if they are looking for anyone, and if they are – determine if you could do that job.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. You should check/elaborate WHY the company is sending you back, i.e. the overall business in your field is too slow, your Japanese skills are not good enough, they want to cut costs and replace you with a 'cheaper' local hire, etc. If this is the case, other jobs would have the same problems.

As other people hinted, if you have worked 2 years in Tokyo as a consultant, you should be able to check opportunities with the people you have met so far...

Comment

Originally posted by TJrandom View Post
                  Wow – in management consulting, or at least working in such a firm, and canft figure out how to look for a job.
                  Could be the tea boy?

Just confirms that most of these so-called management consultants don't really have a clue about what's going on around them....

Comment

Working...
                  X