Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Top

Collapse

Applying to International Schools

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Applying to International Schools

    If you applied to International Schools but had a fake teaching certificate and they found out would you be either prosecuted in your home country or in Japan? You already had a Japanese visa and references.

  • #2
    Originally posted by ramen1 View Post
    If you applied to International Schools but had a fake teaching certificate and they found out would you be either prosecuted in your home country or in Japan? You already had a Japanese visa and references.
    I'm no lawyer, but I'd think that the most likely thing tol happen is that the school will sue to return your past salary as you would not have been eligible to teach in the first place. They will then likely also inform the university that supposedly issued the fake degree to prosecute you for using their credentials without authorization. It's also likely that they will inform immigration and if the fake certificate was used for the visa, they can detain and throw you out immediately.

    Whether there will be an extra indictment for 'forgery' in Japan is a tricky issue. The 'foreign teaching licence' is probably not recognized in Japan, so the J-authorities might not care about it.

    Usually these things come to light if the person is 'substandard' and people start to ask questions like 'where the f*** did he get the teaching license.'
    Last edited by ttokyo; 2011-11-04, 11:18 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ramen1 View Post
      If you applied to International Schools but had a fake teaching certificate and they found out would you be either prosecuted in your home country or in Japan? You already had a Japanese visa and references.
      My guess is preliminary background checks would reveal where your qualifications came from way before you got anywhere near a classroom. Its only a matter of a few phone calls, an internet check to see if a person is on the level or not. You would definitely be tossed out on your ear if any discrepancies came to light.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
        My guess is preliminary background checks would reveal where your qualifications came from way before you got anywhere near a classroom. Its only a matter of a few phone calls, an internet check to see if a person is on the level or not. You would definitely be tossed out on your ear if any discrepancies came to light.
        Yes, I agree. With any proper school, the applicant will be well vetted.

        As for punishment after the fact, I sure wouldn't want to fool around. An int'l school normally has qualified staff, so some might be quite upset by being conned. As mentioned above, a person could be sued, but could also join Mr Horie in jail for fraud (unlikely, though). Then there is deportation.

        Comment


        • #5
          If you are discovered before you are hired, expect your application to be moved quietly and quickly to the garbage.

          If you are discovered after you are hired, you will probably be fired, and immigration will be notified, at which time you might face deportation for falsifying your visa documentation.

          So, are we worried for some particular reason...? It's really just plain stupid to try to pass off a fake degree, but that's just my opinion.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Glenski View Post
            If you are discovered before you are hired, expect your application to be moved quietly and quickly to the garbage.

            If you are discovered after you are hired, you will probably be fired, and immigration will be notified, at which time you might face deportation for falsifying your visa documentation.

            So, are we worried for some particular reason...? It's really just plain stupid to try to pass off a fake degree, but that's just my opinion.
            The person already had a visa- e.g. PR, so I guess it wouldn't bother immigration. Of course they would be fired, but would they get a criminal record in their home country where they allegedly got their teaching qualification?

            Comment


            • #7
              Says a lot about the people who are always posting on here with:

              "If I lie about .... will I get away with it?"

              "If I get caught lying, what are the consequences?"

              Their characters and integrity are that lacking that they don't feel any embarrassment about being liars.. they just don't want consequences.

              Pathetic.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ramen1 View Post
                The person already had a visa- e.g. PR, so I guess it wouldn't bother immigration. Of course they would be fired, but would they get a criminal record in their home country where they allegedly got their teaching qualification?
                Is it just a qualification or an accredited academic titile ? The latter is usally an offense. Also the issuing University would go after you for fraud.

                There's an article on wikipedia on Diploma mills : en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diploma_mills_in_the_United_States

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ramen1 View Post
                  If you applied to International Schools but had a fake teaching certificate and they found out would you be either prosecuted in your home country or in Japan? You already had a Japanese visa and references.
                  Why do you want to do such a stupid thing?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by hennagaijin View Post
                    Says a lot about the people who are always posting on here with:

                    "If I lie about .... will I get away with it?"

                    "If I get caught lying, what are the consequences?"

                    Their characters and integrity are that lacking that they don't feel any embarrassment about being liars.. they just don't want consequences.

                    Pathetic.
                    Because they think that because they are in Japan it doesn't really matter as they dont even consider it teaching, as long as they can con the school into hiring them.


                    Listen, how you would you like it if you send your kids to an international school, spend upwards of 1-2 million yen a year on school tuition and then found out your kid's teacher had a fake degree and no qualifications to be there? Would you take it lying down and just saying "he just did what he did to get a job in Japan- it doesn't really matter he's not qualified?"

                    Would you want your own children to be taught by a liar and a fraud? That is exactly what is being said here.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                      Because they think that because they are in Japan it doesn't really matter as they dont even consider it teaching, as long as they can con the school into hiring them.


                      Listen, how you would you like it if you send your kids to an international school, spend upwards of 1-2 million yen a year on school tuition and then found out your kid's teacher had a fake degree and no qualifications to be there? Would you take it lying down and just saying "he just did what he did to get a job in Japan- it doesn't really matter he's not qualified?"

                      Would you want your own children to be taught by a liar and a fraud? That is exactly what is being said here.
                      Is Jack Black the teacher?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Wonky View Post
                        Is Jack Black the teacher?
                        Jack Black only happens in the movies.

                        Teachers who are found out to be fakes are kicked out on their arses and dont even have time to clear out their desks.

                        The School of Rock was a great movie, but based on fiction. If he's such a great teacher he should go to school and get certified. Thats why they have universities.
                        Last edited by KansaiBen; 2011-12-06, 12:07 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          International schools are far more rigorous in both recruitment and monitoring/professional development than, for example, an eikaiwa; so if a "teacher" with a fake qualification tried to get a job at one I'd be surprised if they were even short-listed, let alone hired, but even if they were they would not last very long.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Harp View Post
                            International schools are far more rigorous in both recruitment and monitoring/professional development than, for example, an eikaiwa; so if a "teacher" with a fake qualification tried to get a job at one I'd be surprised if they were even short-listed, let alone hired, but even if they were they would not last very long.
                            Even if someone were able to scam their way through the interview process I think it would be painfully obvious that the person was a fraud on the first day of school.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ramen1 View Post
                              If you applied to International Schools but had a fake teaching certificate and they found out would you be either prosecuted in your home country or in Japan? You already had a Japanese visa and references.
                              So what kind of references can you get with a fake teaching certificate? Previous employers telling you were wonderful despite a lack of formal qualifications? Whats to say you didn't fake the references as well?



                              Did you also consider that you may be asked to give a dummy lesson during your interview? Will you be equipped to handle that?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X