Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

British Electronic Engineering student looking for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Electronic Engineering student looking for advice

Hi,

I'm currently studying towards a Masters of Engineering in electronics at a good British uni which I will complete in a few years. My degree is pretty much 75% electronics, 25% nanotechnology.

By the time I graduate, my Japanese level will be at JLPT1 level and probably exceed it. (spending every summer in Japan til I graduate)

Assuming that I will have this level of Japanese proficiency, I was wondering if anyone here had an insight into electronics companies, be it product development or research or the same for companies which have a heavy nanotechnology component.

I'm not saying it's ever going to be easy to find a job in Japan, but I've put a lot of work into my degree and learning Japanese, so I'd just like to be told by someone who knows the industry or knows someone who has gotten a job in a similar area in Japan that I will actually stand some sort of chance of getting a good job there in electronics/nano.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Two things you lack.

1. Certifiable work experience. Its highly unlikely you will be hired from overseas with no previous work experience. There is no reason they should hire a foreigner over a Japanese person with the same skills.

2. A Japanese engineering degree.

Comment

Originally posted by nana_in_nago View Post
      Hi,

I'm currently studying towards a Masters of Engineering in electronics at a good British uni which I will complete in a few years.
      By the time I graduate, my Japanese level will be at JLPT1 level and probably exceed it. (spending every summer in Japan til I graduate)
      You don't want to work for a Japanese company. Pay and working conditions are poor. Instead work for a foreign company in Japan and try to get extra benefits such as housing.

As you are anyway planning to be in Japan each summer, that would be the perfect chance to build up relationships with companies already in Japan, e.g. via internships, research for your thesis, etc.

Comment

If you want to work for a japanese company you HAVE to be here to get a job. There are tonnes of new grads looking for jobs every year.

There are lots of people on here who talk isht about being an EE for a japanese company, but they usually dont work for japanese companies and are hardly ever EEs.

Japanese companies dont usually want an engineer with experience. They assume that a new grad knows nothing and will train them on site. I dont have any experience in the nano tech feild, but I spent a month here looking for a job and had a few nice offers.

Cheers and good luck.

Comment

Working...
        X