Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Going to be completly honest here and need anyones help really.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
    I have Skype if you have that

whats your skype name!

Comment

Originally posted by twelvedown View Post
      $20,000 would EASILY last you 12 weeks. Probably double that if you were careful.
      wow... 24 weeks if im careful

so if i had 10,000 it could last me 12 weeks? if im careful;?

Comment

Originally posted by Genkii
        I like to know too because I have a secret crush on KansaiBen.

I have added them all lol
        Knock yourself out, I don't use that name on Skype. Not only that I dont live in any of those places and one is a Japanese.

Comment

Originally posted by Genkii
          PM me ƒXƒJƒCƒv ID ‚ð‚­‚¾‚³‚¢
          now why would I do that

I cant believe you guys are that thick

Comment

Originally posted by chriswhite View Post
            wow... 24 weeks if im careful

so if i had 10,000 it could last me 12 weeks? if im careful;?
            About 800 bucks a week for 2 adults and a baby without having to pay rent? No problem.

Comment

she gets paid 18,000 yen a week as well but how long not including rent would 110,000 YEN last
              Let me also be 'completely honest' :

Y 18,000 as a weekly salary is so bad, that even working at McD would earn you more. It's not even enough to pay for food & rent. It looks like your wife is mainly doing this to 'improve herself'. To me, it appears like your 'lovely wife' is taking the whole family hostage by pushing this, forcing you and the baby to come along and using up the family's financial reserves, which sounds also very irresponsible to me.

So my honest advice would be 'don't do it'. As said before, a compromise might be to use up $ 10,000 for 3 months in Osaka and then decide to go home if neither of you can find a more permanent job (as chef, etc.) that can pay your bills (and offer a visa sponsorship) but it's still difficult with an infant in tow.

(EDIT : I hope you are aware of the associations of 'tattoo' and 'mob' in Japan, so be very careful if some guys at your wife's working place offer you 'easy money' for jobs such as 'bringing a suitcase from Indonesia'.)
              Last edited by ttokyo; 2011-12-13, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
                Let me also be 'completely honest' :

Y 18,000 as a weekly salary is so bad, that even working at McD would earn you more. It's not even enough to pay for food & rent. It looks like your wife is mainly doing this to 'improve herself'. To me, it appears like your 'lovely wife' is taking the whole family hostage by pushing this, forcing you and the baby to come along and using up the family's financial reserves, which sounds also very irresponsible to me.

So my honest advice would be 'don't do it'. As said before, a compromise might be to use up $ 10,000 for 3 months in Osaka and then decide to go home if neither of you can find a more permanent job (as chef, etc.) that can pay your bills (and offer a visa sponsorship) but it's still difficult with an infant in tow.

(EDIT : I hope you are aware of the associations with 'tattoo' and 'mob' in Japan, so be very careful if some guys at your wife's working place offer you 'easy money' for jobs such as 'bringing a suitcase from Indonesia'.)
                Sounds to me like they are young and just messing around. If they didn't have a kid I'd say go for it, but I never recommend people to bring small kids to Japan...what are they gonna do for day care, schooling, etc?

Comment

My Japanese niece is in Australia at the moment on the 2nd year of a WHV which she was able to renew having worked for three months in Queensland picking squash and peppers. Those are the rules for getting the 2nd year WHV in Australia - and they're pretty much set in stone. Japan wants foreign teachers to have university degrees - and why not - there are thousands of graduates who still want to work here so you're competing against all those people who already have the bare-minimum requirement. In a perfect world economy this wouldn't matter - but...

--

Comment

hello pretty new to this names chris i am 21 years old have a lovly wife and a 8 week old son! we have wanted to move to japan for 4 years now and we feel we are ready now
                    i have apllied for countless jobs... days on end for a few weeks dont think anything is working
                    i have finished high school i do not have a degree but i have 3 years teaching experince and chef expreince as i use to work in those areas...

my partner got a job offer as a tattoo artist but they do not support sponsorship so

if anyone knows of any job for me to get so i can take my family will be great! but also i was thinking would this work

if my partner got a working holiday visa... and worked there and then me and my son got a 90 day tourist visa and if i applied for jobs there and if i got one (sponsorship) change my visa to a work visa to keep my son and partner there?
                    because i reckon i have more luck if i live in japan

really need thoughts and opions anything will help

thank you again

this nation's education system generates thousands of people just like you every year.... only they can muddle through with the language and the social heirarchy; and they have all the rights of citizenship. You would be in line after all of them. WHY on earth would you want to put your family through a life of hell, low wages and high prices, not to mention the discrimination and insecurity of living in an inhospitable land such as this???

Comment

The OPs family obligations and financial picture make it clear to me that he is in no shape to move to any foreign country and perhaps should be thinking of more practical ways for BOTH his wife and himself to be taking care of their baby and their future together. But this dream of moving to Japan seems fruitless based on the present facts provided and seems like you are putting more effort and energy into worrying about how you can somehow, someway find you way to Japan - instead of doing anything and everything you can to make a life for you all in your present country. You have a baby now - planned or not - so I`d say all of your dreams of moving to far away lands should be put on the back burner - unless you have some rock solid offer on the table.

As everyone has pointed out before, maybe you could find an English teaching gig here with your 3 years of experience, but the majority of these schools will not want to sponsor you from scratch. And the OP never mentioned graduating from culinary school - so with his age and experience, it seems he`s more of a cook than chef. Even so, you could go for a culinary position - seen hirings at Gordon Ramsey`s place in Tokyo - but only pays Y1200/hr, max. Doesn`t sound ideal with a wife and baby. As far as the wife and tattoo earnings, keep in mind that it`s the same as being a hair stylist...you need a following to make the big money. In USA, tattoo artist might sit around all day and just work on drawings while handling some incoming customers who have questions, etc. If they are tattooing flash off the walls, pricing will still be lower and they are only getting a cut of that tattoo price. And of doing bigger pieces/sleeves, then an hourly rate would apply. But even then, while you `could` set your hourly rate to whatever you want, without a name and following, nobody is going to pay $300/hr for someone not known. The Anil Guptas and Paul Booths of the world are in the $300-$400/hr range, and these guys have been tattooing for 15+ years and are tattoo icons, so people are willing to shell out $20,000 for a sleeve. No namer is def gonna be in the $100/hr+ range...and you are not going to be solid booked for months in advance...sorry, but no way. Maybe best bet is to find a shop right next to a US Military base.

Comment

ok people i did not need such negative feedback can you all save up 50,000 in 3 6 months? i doubt it i can afford to raise a child i have the maturaty to look after and protect a child whos to say you cant take chances while having a kid?
                        if worst comes to worse i still have a house in australia i WANT my son to grow up and learn the japanese culture in japan thats what i want for my son.

now i have called a few places this is what we have thought of doing my partner got a job offer at muscat tattoo in shibuya she is going there on a work visa as he provided a consent form that she is allowed to work there and me and my son are going as dependants.

i still get paid 600$ a fortnight for 20 weeks from welfare for having a child and my partner still gets 700$ a fortnight for having a child for 40 weeks so we do have money aside if she doesnt make much from this job straight away.
                        we have a agent in japan looking for suitible houses/apartments to rent *ones with no key money you have to pay first* and she is finding a fair few houses

now tell me how can i not live in japan with what i have done? plus i am still saving money as i am still working and i will be baby sitting my son until he is 6 months old then going to find a part time job in japan if i can.

such horrible negativty on this site.

Comment

ok people i did not need such negative feedback can you all save up 50,000 in 3 6 months? i doubt it i can afford to raise a child i have the maturaty to look after and protect a child whos to say you cant take chances while having a kid?
                          if worst comes to worse i still have a house in australia i WANT my son to grow up and learn the japanese culture in japan thats what i want for my son.

now i have called a few places this is what we have thought of doing my partner got a job offer at muscat tattoo in shibuya she is going there on a work visa as he provided a consent form that she is allowed to work there and me and my son are going as dependants.

i still get paid 600$ a fortnight for 20 weeks from welfare for having a child and my partner still gets 700$ a fortnight for having a child for 40 weeks so we do have money aside if she doesnt make much from this job straight away.
                          we have a agent in japan looking for suitible houses/apartments to rent *ones with no key money you have to pay first* and she is finding a fair few houses

now tell me how can i not live in japan with what i have done? plus i am still saving money as i am still working and i will be baby sitting my son until he is 6 months old then going to find a part time job in japan if i can.

such horrible negativty on this site.
                          There are many on these boards who can save more than you can and others who cannot. You will not be in that position once you come to Japan. But fair play to you for being able to save as much in such a short time.

My advice would be to listen to the people here. They are not being negative. Japan is a tough place to live and work. There are many hurdles to overcome on a daily basis, not the least being the language, and the people here are being honest with their input. You take it as negative. You asked for input and you have been receiving what I can see as good feedback. Japan can be a very tough place to live if you are single and harder if you have dependents.

If you can live on the money you get from Oz and that money you may get here with your partner working then great. But the experience of many here is that promises of work at times do not pan out to be what was actually agreed upon and times can get tough.

You seem determined to come over to Japan and make of it what you can. That is a good thing to have but as others have pointed out it will not be easy and especially with an infant. Just getting through the hurdles of the health system here and to get the required immunisations can be tough, that is if you are choosing to have your child immunised!

As for bringing your son up here in Japan for long enough for him to take in the Japanese culture I would think you will need to think that one through a bit more. Are you going to be here long enough to send your son to school here? That is a whole other nightmare that you don't want to get into. The education system here in Japan is very different to that in Oz.

I am married, have three kids, a reasonable income, speak Japanese and still I find it hard at times to live here. I would think long and hard on the choices I would make when there is a child involved. I do not know what your experience of the Japanese culture is but after being here for a while you will see a very different side to Japan. It is not all negative but it is certainly not the image of the culture of the samurai that many would see from looking from the outside. It is not until you have lived here a significant amount of time that you either learn to live with the reality of the real Japan or you get out. The latter is the route that the vast majority go down.

If you have any direct questions PM me and I will be happy to answer. But my advice would be to think long and hard about the move and discuss at length the income, the conditions you will live in and the support that you will have around you for simple things such as dealing with utilties and so on.

Comment

i think the highlight of the op`s last comment is priceless - that the family is relying on welfare to finance/support the family in their attempt to move to japan. is it that much different than someone living in a newark, new jersey housing project, collecting welfare to `get by` yet having three tv sets in their apartment? and i`m not so sure about the `can`t parents take chances when they have a baby` comment, either. i guess if you are prepared to put your baby/family in a situation that you can`t dig your way out of, then sure - roll the dice. seems like with a baby in tow, you do need to put the baby first, and yourself (and wife) should come second. if you can`t relate to that, i`d simply say that maybe you are too proud or selfish to have kids at present. you can have a nice, fulfilling life as parents and successful careers, too - baby does not equal the end of life, but from all the info mentioned, you do not sound like you are in any position to make a realistic go at it. your saved funds will dwindle once you get here, beginning with the enchant rate eating up a chunk of that money, and i don`t recall there being anything cheap about having a baby - so between your income here (with no japanese language and no degree) and your wife`s tattoo job (which is not going to be the huge breadwinning sum you believe it to be), it seems best to stay put and at least get yourself squared away with more experience and/or an education and way more money saved. and i mean none of this in any negative way what-so-ever...you are looking at your savings and welfare money as a way to finance the move and survive - but none of it has been discussed as being emergency money that does`t get touched, or medical money for your family/baby or for its education, etc. so your entire nest egg is for the family to move to japan. does`t seem very well planned out.

Comment

Originally posted by schizm
                              ]For a good time, click.....[/url]

Thats getting old. On report, bro.

Comment

Originally posted by frownsarefun View Post
                                i i mean none of this in any negative way what-so-ever...you are looking at your savings and welfare money as a way to finance the move and survive - but none of it has been discussed as being emergency money that does`t get touched, or medical money for your family/baby or for its education, etc. so your entire nest egg is for the family to move to japan. does`t seem very well planned out.
                                and not only that any kid below the age of three or four will remember next to nothing about their experience in Japan. All babies do is eat, sleep and poop. Sounds like its more something you want to do than for the baby.

Having had two kids in Japan myself I assure you it will eat up money.

Also if you save up money earned on welfare to immigrate overseas doesn't that count as welfare fraud? You can go to jail for doing that.

Comment

Working...
                                X