Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

An Emergency; Needing A Job ASAP!!! Please Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Emergency; Needing A Job ASAP!!! Please Help!

My wife was out in Japan visiting her parents and began having medical problems. She went to the DR and was diagnosed with muscular dystrophy and they think she may have issues with her thyroid. She is also having "female problems." I do not have her on my medical insurance back here because it is too expensive. She has insurance out there with her family, so we are thinking about moving out to Japan. I am needing to find a job but it seems like you need a degree. I do not have one. Most of my experience is in security work and in retail stores. I am able to get a spousal visa. Any help you can provide on what I can do will be appreciated. I am willing to do ANY job. I need to be out there with my wife right now. It's extremely hard being away. Please be praying for us. God Bless!

Are you posting this from Nigeria...?

Comment

You poor man! God bless you!

How much money do you need? And please give me all of your bank details so I can move half of my honored, late father's fortune into your account!

God's speed to you!

Comment

No, it is not a scam or anything like that. I wish it were all made up, but she has what she has. I am not asking for any money or something along that lines, only help in getting a job in Japan.

Comment

Please don't joke about. It is hard enough to deal with already.

Comment

You don't need a degree because you have a JWife - wife trumps degree. She will act as your sponsor. Non-teaching work usually requires Japanese ability (especially outside of the major cities) but you might find places willing to offer you teaching work without a degree or experience.

--

Comment

Originally posted by jackdeberry View Post
              No, it is not a scam or anything like that. I wish it were all made up, but she has what she has. I am not asking for any money or something along that lines, only help in getting a job in Japan.

Sorry for my earlier flippant comment.

Tell us what kind of top job you're after and we'll send you our 'GP Premier Jobs for People with No Qualifications'
              list. Then, just choose the one you want and you're in.

Helpful and friendly. It's what GP's all about, innit...?

P.S. Very sorry to hear about those explosions in Nigeria...

Comment

Although you do not need a degree for the spouse visa, and the visa lets you do almost any kind of work, you will have to face the fact that most non-teaching jos will require relevant experience AND fairly high fluency in Japanese. So, how is you language ability?

Getting the visa sponsored might require your wife or her parents to sponsor you, depending on whether your wife works full-time. Keep that in mind.

Comment

If you're planning on moving near Tokyo, you can probably get a marketing job in the Roppongi or Kabukicho areas. You'd be soliciting potential clients for the entertainment industry. Does that sound it would be up your alley?

Comment

Originally posted by Glenski View Post
                    Although you do not need a degree for the spouse visa, and the visa lets you do almost any kind of work, you will have to face the fact that most non-teaching jos will require relevant experience AND fairly high fluency in Japanese. So, how is you language ability?

Getting the visa sponsored might require your wife or her parents to sponsor you, depending on whether your wife works full-time. Keep that in mind.
                    That's the other bad part is that my language is beginning Japanese. I was doing good while I lived there but when I moved back to Texas, I quit using it. At this point, I'd pick up trash just to have a job over there.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathblob View Post
                      If you're planning on moving near Tokyo, you can probably get a marketing job in the Roppongi or Kabukicho areas. You'd be soliciting potential clients for the entertainment industry. Does that sound it would be up your alley?
                      That doesn't sound bad at this point. I am willing to do just about anything to be able to move my family over there.

Comment

If you have weak Japanese skills, I don't really think Deathblob's idea is very feasible. Plus, the type of job he describes (if not tongue in cheek, I really can't tell) does not sound like a stable one with a reliable income.

Comment

I am in the same situation

My case is about the same. My Japanese is still weak. I would do any job. I am a house wife and am very bored, don`t want to wait until my husband returns from work. I was thinking I might start like e.g. cleaning bathrooms in a hospital. I would like to know, how much Japanese skill (speaking and reading) do I need in order to be able to do a cleaning job? Pls. add funny comments although this is a serious issue. Thanks. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Kiboo View Post
                            My case is about the same. My Japanese is still weak. I would do any job. I am a house wife and am very bored, don`t want to wait until my husband returns from work. I was thinking I might start like e.g. cleaning bathrooms in a hospital. I would like to know, how much Japanese skill (speaking and reading) do I need in order to be able to do a cleaning job?Pls. add funny comments although this is a serious issue. Thanks. Cheers

For jobs like housekeeping, Japanese literacy requirements are probably a minimum. At the same time, they may not necessarily be inclined to place classifieds on for-pay sites like GP. You might try sites like CL or others like this one or like this one that has direct links. Places like the Hyatt hotels in Japan are also a good place to apply direct if it is jobs in F&B and Housekeeping that you are after. I think "teaching teh engrish" would make more sense for a housewife looking to fill in spare time. Sites like this are worth bookmarking.
                            Last edited by NorthByNorthwest; 2012-02-26, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthByNorthwest View Post

For jobs like housekeeping, Japanese literacy requirements are probably a minimum. At the same time, they may not necessarily be inclined to place classifieds on for-pay sites like GP. You might try sites like CL or others like this one or like this one that has direct links. Places like the Hyatt hotels in Japan are also a good place to apply direct if it is jobs in F&B and Housekeeping that you are after. I think "teaching teh engrish" would make more sense for a housewife looking to fill in spare time. Sites like this are worth bookmarking.
                              Thanks for your kind advice. In fact, the teaching English is not my cup of tea, although I grew up bilingual and have the TEFL@Certificate, I have been out of the US for several years, so do not use much English in my life. In fact, I have a diploma in F&B and worked as a restaurant manager back in the States. But I am afraid I would need more Japanese ability in order to apply for job at Hyatt etc. companies. Thanks anyway, I will be thinking about.

Comment

Working...
                              X