Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Where to begin?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kiboo View Post
    Are you the first one (the troll HurryHarry just mentioned above)? I know you as a funny guy from before. Sh@@t up, please.
    Shoot up? I'm not into heroin.

Comment

Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
      Shoot up? I'm not into heroin.
      I still think you need better drugs. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
        You aren't likely to get a job in anything other than English teaching. If you are going to try something else, you will need at least JLPT N2, and preferably N1. Many places will not hire you without N1.

Your boyfriend is not going to have an easy time getting a job in his field. He will also most likely be relegated to English teaching. Finding jobs in other fields generally (though not always) requires Japanese fluency on top of a specialized skill, with lots of experience. The Japanese would rather hire someone speaking Japanese as a first language, so you need a skillset that they cannot fill easily with Japanese people.
        Than it seems best for us both to brush up on our English skills as we prepare. I thank you for the honest reply. At some point I would like to have my Japanese skills up high enough to pass the N1 test but not for many years.

Comment

I still think you need better drugs. LOL
          You remind me of the poster Bacn or Bacon or what was her previous name? Are you from Bulgaria?

Comment

Originally posted by Sinthea View Post
            Than it seems best for us both to brush up on our English skills as we prepare. I thank you for the honest reply. At some point I would like to have my Japanese skills up high enough to pass the N1 test but not for many years.
            Unfortunately you have been given bogus advice, especial from the Kiboo dude. You won't need 2 million yen!

However, if you have the chance to attain a university degree, please attain one. It is usually VERY difficult to obtain a working visa without one. Some lucky people manage to do it, but most are unlucky. A working holiday visa does not have such restrictions, but you normally can only stay for 12 months for most people.

By the way, the best place to master Japanese is Japan...

Comment

Originally posted by Since1990 View Post
              Unfortunately you have been given bogus advice, especial from the Kiboo dude. You won't need 2 million yen!

However, if you have the chance to attain a university degree, please attain one. It is usually VERY difficult to obtain a working visa without one. Some lucky people manage to do it, but most are unlucky. A working holiday visa does not have such restrictions, but you normally can only stay for 12 months for most people.

By the way, the best place to master Japanese is Japan...
              BTW. I am not a dude. I think its good to have some money available if they dont want to live in a hostel and they will be job hunting upon their arrival to Japan. If they want to rent an apartment, they will need to pay a thick deposit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
                You remind me of the poster Bacn or Bacon or what was her previous name? Are you from Bulgaria?
                No, I am not.

Comment

Originally posted by beentheredonethat
                  ?.... for teaching English and you already have a degree. ......
                  OP has only an Associates degree. Don't read everything you believe, twunt!

Comment

If you have no work experience it will be difficult for you to find an entry-level job in Japan outside teaching. There are foreign insurers/medical health companies in Japan, but it is unlikely they will sponsor a visa for somebody with no experience.
                    Maybe consider working for an company at home that has a Japan Office and then try to get transferred later.

Personally, I see job chances for foreign landscape architects in Tokyo much smaller than for accounting-related.

Comment

Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
                      If you have no work experience it will be difficult for you to find an entry-level job in Japan outside teaching. There are foreign insurers/medical health companies in Japan, but it is unlikely they will sponsor a visa for somebody with no experience.
                      Maybe consider working for an company at home that has a Japan Office and then try to get transferred later.

Personally, I see job chances for foreign landscape architects in Tokyo much smaller than for accounting-related.
                      I do have work experience however it is almost all in the medical office setting at the desk or doing their billing and coding. I don't think that type of experience will get me a job in Japan as I would have to relearn a few code sets for billing and coding but I do know the international code sets. Believe it or not, I am fine teaching English I would simply want to brush up on my English skills before I make my way to Japan to be sure I don't give any bad information.

I assumed that landscaping was not in demand in the city, but what about in the country? Being in the city is not important to us, I live in a small town.

Getting a job at an international company with offices in Japan would be impossible due to where I live. I live in Fairbanks, Alaska, USA.

I'm going to ask this question again because I am not so clear on this, I have an associates degree, a 2 year degree from an university in Business Administration. Is this degree sufficient to meet the degree requirements for the worker's visa or do I need a four year degree?

Everything I have read simply states that I need a degree. If I need to continue on to a four year degree to do this I will, but only if I must as I wish wish to have my student loans paid off before the trip as well as my boyfriend's loans if he decides to get a degree before we go.

College in America is very expensive and the education in Alaska fairly poor, would it be possible for my boyfriend to attend college in Japan? He wishes to take engineering. How would that process work?

I know that the best place for me to learn Japanese is in Japan. That is just one reason I wish to go to Japan.

As for money, I intend to save some money before I go to make things easier on ourselves. Does anyone else have recommendations on about how much I should have before leaving? I'm simply looking to get an idea so I can prepare.

Thank each and every one of you for your kind help, advice and information.

Comment

I do have work experience however it is almost all in the medical office setting at the desk or doing their billing and coding. I don't think that type of experience will get me a job in Japan as I would have to relearn a few code sets for billing and coding but I do know the international code sets. Believe it or not, I am fine teaching English I would simply want to brush up on my English skills before I make my way to Japan to be sure I don't give any bad information.

I assumed that landscaping was not in demand in the city, but what about in the country? Being in the city is not important to us, I live in a small town.

Getting a job at an international company with offices in Japan would be impossible due to where I live. I live in Fairbanks, Alaska, USA.

I'm going to ask this question again because I am not so clear on this, I have an associates degree, a 2 year degree from an university in Business Administration. Is this degree sufficient to meet the degree requirements for the worker's visa or do I need a four year degree?

Everything I have read simply states that I need a degree. If I need to continue on to a four year degree to do this I will, but only if I must as I wish wish to have my student loans paid off before the trip as well as my boyfriend's loans if he decides to get a degree before we go.

College in America is very expensive and the education in Alaska fairly poor, would it be possible for my boyfriend to attend college in Japan? He wishes to take engineering. How would that process work?

I know that the best place for me to learn Japanese is in Japan. That is just one reason I wish to go to Japan.

As for money, I intend to save some money before I go to make things easier on ourselves. Does anyone else have recommendations on about how much I should have before leaving? I'm simply looking to get an idea so I can prepare.

Thank each and every one of you for your kind help, advice and information.
                        As for money, I have already recommended to have about 2M Yen for both of you. I believe the immigration will need a proof that you have enough finances to live in Japan for 6 months without working, which would total about 1.5M@Yen per person, so those 2M Yen is just my modest estimate. As for degree, I believe it is better to have a 4 years college. If you come here with 2 years degree you should develop marketable skills exactly as KB mentions many times in her posts. I have to agree with her in this matter. I assume you are both young enough, so please take your time and get ready.

Comment

As for money, I have already recommended to have about 2M Yen for both of you. I believe the immigration will need a proof that you have enough finances to live in Japan for 6 months without working, which would total about 1.5M@Yen per person, so those 2M Yen is just my modest estimate. As for degree, I believe it is better to have a 4 years college. If you come here with 2 years degree you should develop marketable skills exactly as KB mentions many times in her posts. I have to agree with her in this matter. I assume you are both young enough, so please take your time and get ready.
                          Yes we are both young and wanting to take our time in this to make sure we are prepared before making the move. I am only 21, my boyfriend is only 20. We feel that by gathering information, making plans and starting to save early we can do responsibly. It seems that it would be wisest for me to continue on to a four year degree and will look into my options. my boyfriend is also looking into getting a degree in engineering to have something that is both a degree and useful. I thank you again Kiboo, for all the advice you have given me. Being able to work out a plan with everyone's kind advice has helped me to fully think this through and go from something I simply want to do to forming a working plan to accomplish it. Thank you all.

Comment

Yes we are both young and wanting to take our time in this to make sure we are prepared before making the move. I am only 21, my boyfriend is only 20. We feel that by gathering information, making plans and starting to save early we can do responsibly. It seems that it would be wisest for me to continue on to a four year degree and will look into my options. my boyfriend is also looking into getting a degree in engineering to have something that is both a degree and useful. I thank you again Kiboo, for all the advice you have given me. Being able to work out a plan with everyone's kind advice has helped me to fully think this through and go from something I simply want to do to forming a working plan to accomplish it. Thank you all.
                            I wish your dreams will come true soon. Good luck again.

Comment

Working...
                            X