Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Doctor of IT looking for Employment in Japan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by raziiq View Post
    I can speak good Japanese. I have passed JLPT Level 3 and 4.
    Be realistic. JLPT3 is not 'speaking good Japanese'.

So you have 2 choices :
    a) Find a job at an university. You should know better than us how to do it.
    b) Find a job at a company. There are many foreign IT companies in Japan, but there again, it depends what skills you can offer to them and why they should hire you. If you are looking for a research-style job, my hunch is that your J-skills would not be good enough for a Japanese company and most foreign companies would have their labs abroad. But I don't know. You should also know which kind of companies are making products in your field of expertise and send job applications to their Japan offices.
    You might also have to find a job in a not so closely related area. I know a guy with a PhD in Physics who is now working as a Programmer. Or a guy like Andy Kessler who started as a researcher at AT&T labs and then moved on to became a financial analyst for the electronics industry. As a PhD you have proven that you are smart, but the companies also want to see your business sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
      Anybody worth his salt will not put "Japanese ability" in his resume unless he has Level 1 or Level 2 of JLPT.

Level 3 Japanese is the same level of your average 3rd grader in terms of Kanji knowledge and vocabulary.

Comment

Originally posted by ttokyo View Post

So you have 2 choices :
        a) Find a job at an university. You should know better than us how to do it.
        b) Find a job at a company. There are many foreign IT companies in Japan, but there again, it depends what skills you can offer to them and why they should hire you. If you are looking for a research-style job, my hunch is that your J-skills would not be good enough for a Japanese company and most foreign companies would have their labs abroad. But I don't know. You should also know which kind of companies are making products in your field of expertise and send job applications to their Japan offices.
        You might also have to find a job in a not so closely related area. I know a guy with a PhD in Physics who is now working as a Programmer. Or a guy like Andy Kessler who started as a researcher at AT&T labs and then moved on to became a financial analyst for the electronics industry. As a PhD you have proven that you are smart, but the companies also want to see your business sense.
        Thanks for the reply. I am not defending myself but let me explain what i meant when i said i am good at speaking Japanese. I have been living in Japan for 7 years now. I took my JLPT level 3 about 4 years ago. I know JLPT 3 doesnt mean i am good at speaking Japanese but i have improved in last 4 years. I deliver University presentation in Japanese and i guess that explains alot about speaking capabilities. But again i can understand that i only have JLPT 3 level certificate with me and any organization i am applying will judge my capabilities according to that and i wont be able to explain my capabilities in every interview.

Anyways i appreciate all the comments and links.

Comment

Would drop the Doctor of IT title too.... it sounds very pretentious. You've a PhD in computer science and no real work experience.

Unless you've worked with knowledge management tools/ business systems in a commercial environment, you're not a Dr. IT.

Have a look at some of the Telematics Japan links - and the companies really involved here in Intelligent Transportations systems

http://www.telematicsupdate.com/japan/

Comment

I have three questions; what school did you graduate from, what was the subjust of your dissertation, and did you do any type of internship while you were in school?

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxFun View Post
              I have three questions; what school did you graduate from, what was the subjust of your dissertation, and did you do any type of internship while you were in school?
              I graduated from Akita University. My thesis was on Wireless technologies more specifically on Intelligent Transportation Systems and yes i worked as Research Assistant for atleast 2 years while at school.

Comment

I graduated from Akita University. My thesis was on Wireless technologies more specifically on Intelligent Transportation Systems and yes i worked as Research Assistant for atleast 2 years while at school.

This school?
                http://www.akita-u.ac.jp/english/index.html

Comment

Exactly!
                  I have also replied you in your inbox. Please check.

Comment

You need to volunteer for an open source project and you have to creating a portfolio with a demo.

http://serverfault.com/?__=1130686391

http://unix.stackexchange.com/?__=1111469724

PS might want to think twice before deciding to work for a traditional Japanese enviroment.
                    Last edited by LinuxFun; 2012-04-29, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the links, i ll check them.

PS might want to think twice before deciding to work for a traditional Japanese enviroment.
                      What do you mean by that? Mind elaborating a little? What kind of challenges i should be expecting?

Comment

Thanks for the links, i ll check them.

What do you mean by that? Mind elaborating a little? What kind of challenges i should be expecting?
                        Working for a Japanese company? Long term self induced brain lobotomy sound inviting?

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                          Working for a Japanese company? Long term self induced brain lobotomy sound inviting?
                          You can get the same working at a Japanese University, or Research Institute, even working for a foreign company!

Lots of examples on this forum...

Comment

I can speak good Japanese. I have passed JLPT Level 3 and 4. As for JREC, i am already checking that website regularly.
                            I am taking the 2kyu exam in July and I am not convinced that level 2 is adequate enough. The Kanji level for level 2, you have graduated from ES (about 1000 kanjis). I showed my N2 vocab book to my 6th graders and they responded "kantan". The grammar on the other hand is about middle school. Working in academia, level 2 may be adequate, but if you are going to work for a Japanese company in the IT field, you are going to need level 1, IMHO (1986 kanjis, 10000 words).

I am sure you are quite knowledgeable in the IT field. However, IMHO, that won't hold much candle here without higher Japanese skills.
                            Last edited by StarfoxPro; 2012-05-02, 04:54 AM.

Comment

I worked in IT with level 2.

Comment

Originally posted by StarfoxPro View Post
                                I am taking the 2kyu exam in July and I am not convinced that level 2 is adequate enough. The Kanji level for level 2, you have graduated from ES (about 1000 kanjis). I showed my N2 vocab book to my 6th graders and they responded "kantan". The grammar on the other hand is about middle school. Working in academia, level 2 may be adequate, but if you are going to work for a Japanese company in the IT field, you are going to need level 1, IMHO (1986 kanjis, 10000 words).

I am sure you are quite knowledgeable in the IT field. However, IMHO, that won't hold much candle here without higher Japanese skills.
                                Thats really scary!

Comment

Working...
                                X