Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Can I get hospitality work in Tokyo? bar work, waitress etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get hospitality work in Tokyo? bar work, waitress etc

And is it paid really really low to foreigners? I want to know my other options beside teaching English.

Originally posted by Elladuffy View Post
    And is it paid really really low to foreigners? I want to know my other options beside teaching English.
    What are your skills? Japanese ability? Do you have a degree?

Imagine a non-English speaking person trying to get a job in Australia and you get the idea.

Comment

I speak little Japanese, no degree (yet) but I have a 2 yr TAFE Diploma in Community Services Work. hard worker etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Elladuffy View Post
        I speak little Japanese, no degree (yet) but I have a 2 yr TAFE Diploma in Community Services Work. hard worker etc.
        Not many skilled jobs you can do with no Japanese. Do not qualify for a work visa with a TAFE diploma so a WHV is your best and only option. Check the Japan Hospitality Intern link here

http://www.jhip.org/

BTW a barperson or a waiter can expect to earn about 800-1000 yen an hour, work evenings until late.

Comment

Most bartenders, waitresses, etc. are paid low in the first place, so this is why 'desperate' foreigners such as chinese exchange students flock to them. Some gaijin actually like the work for its 'perks' such as being out on the party scene and being able to meet girls.

Also, keep in mind that tipping is not done in Japan.

Comment

Working...
          X