Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Company willing to go IPO : stay or leave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company willing to go IPO : stay or leave?

The company I'm currently working for wants to start an IPO within the next 2 years.
    They keep merging with other companies in order to become bigger.
    At the same time, I've found that the atmosphere has gone quite bad and I wish I could find a new company.
    But what's your opinion?
    Better stay or better leave?
    Personally, I don't understand all the implications of being part of an IPO.
    Thanks in advance

Which company and industry? Any P&L figures on them?

Comment

Originally posted by PFlive View Post
      Thanks in advance
      The main advamtage of an IPO would be if the employees also get shares that would become massively valuable.

Comment

Assuming they become massively valuable and not massively worthless, which does happen.

OP,

If they offer you shares in the new company that can be readily sold once the IPO actually is made, take them. There are few things more satisfying than making money off people you no longer like and a company you don't care about.

If they don't offer you shares, or only non-redeemable shares, you should do what you are thinking of doing now, which is leaving.

The only difference in management or corporate culture you will see is that as a publicly traded company, they will start to institute practices and meaures designed to protect share value, which should help to make a crappy workplace even crappier.

Comment

Originally posted by PFlive View Post
          In general, an IPO increases the value of the stock of the company. If you have stock options, they can become valuable. The other thing that comes from an IPO is more cash for the company to continue growing. One of the downsides to an IPO is the increased government regulations that the company will need to comply with. Those extra regulations increase the cost of doing business.

Comment

A company in this situation should be offering retention bonuses to their key employees – either to be paid out in cash at some future date, or in shares of the company. If you are offered neither – you are replaceable. You might ask if they are getting ready to make you an offer - since two years out is possibly a bit far for them to have already taken this step.

Comment

Working...
            X