Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Permanent Residency - from start to finish (good and bad)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applied in March 2011

Have been in Japan for 8 years, married to a Japanese National for 4.

I have a part-time position with an Eikaiwa, combined with stable self-employed teaching (declared for taxes).
    I think the self-employed part caused interest, or I was randomly chosen for more detailed investigation.

Funny thing was that Immigration called to my in-laws, but Great Grandma decided to answer the phone.
    (Normally she never answers it, as she's 93 years old.) "Huh? Who?? Oh R___'s husband. I know him."
    <How often does he visit?> "Not so often." <When did he visit last?> "Shogatsu (New Year's)"
    (Other various questions about me...)

Immigration also called to my wife, but our son answered? "Huh? Who?? Oh S____ . I know him."
    <Is he home?> "Father is working now." (very formal polite voice according to my wife.) <Does he work
    late a lot?> "Yes."
    Son Transfers phone to my wife... "Huh? Who?? S____. Yes, he's my husband." <Do you know what he
    applied for?> "I think for Spouse Visa." confusion because I just renewed it, and recently talked about
    getting re-entry permit for an upcoming vacation. <No Permanent Residency> "Oh, that's right!"
    <Do you get along well... are you happy> "Of course!" <Does he work at varying times?> "Yes, his classes
    are spread out."

BTW I am totally in favor of detailed investigations of this type. It's good to see immigration doing a thorough job.
    I'll post updates as the process continues.

Comment

• Well, here is the final outcome of giving up my PR...

1. After getting my PR, i got divorced (for personal relationship reasons)
      2. packed up all of my belongings and headed to Narita to return home
      3. surrendered my alien card
      a. they gave me a form declaring that i was surrendering the PR
      b. immigration asked me, "are you really, really sure?"
      c. stamped my visa (just says exiting, not visa cancel) * interesting
      4. got to the states, sent my blue pension book.
      5. got my pension money - $11,000 worth caused i maxed the pension with all the years i contributed(took exactly 6 months, damn Japanese are very precise!)
      6. put money in savings.

yea, i sometimes regret giving it up. i feel that i abandoned my friends... but sometimes i am happy to get out of Japan cause i have a new family. It is just sad sometimes thinking about going to family mart to get the spicy chicken and a beer and walk freely around the neighborhood drinking and listening to my music on my ipod.

It is a great country, but i think that the old Japanese need to become more sensitive to foreigners living there. got tired of being denied opportunities, apartments based on the way i look though i speak Japanese and had a good salary. but like a lot say, if you cant take the heat, get out of the kitchen. and i did. i am so happy to be back at my home, but all of that work to get the PR and learning Japanese has become a waste, but a lifetime experience.

So the question that i have always been asking on this forum for over 2 years, has been answered.

YES, you CAN get your pension. But you MUST surrender your foreign card. BUT, there is a new challenge underway.. As they have NOT stamped "cancelled" on my visa, i wonder if i can get back in on my re-entry permit.

The Yen to Dollar currency rate was wonderful! 970,000 to over $11,000 (something like that)! it helped me start off a new life with a car, tv and other things needed to tend to my family.

Comment

• What does it matter if they didn't cancel your reentry permit? You can always return as a tourist. Or did you have new plans now to return to Japan and stay longer than a tourist?

Comment

• Originally posted by Glenski View Post
          What does it matter if they didn't cancel your reentry permit? You can always return as a tourist. Or did you have new plans now to return to Japan and stay longer than a tourist?
          He didn't say they didn't cancel his reentry permit, he said they didn't 'cancel his visa' = PR.
          So now he is wondering if he can get back into Japan on his previous status.

Comment

• Is having a job/paying taxes a pre-requisite to gaining PR status? A buddy of mine was talking about applying for PR soon because he is nearing the 3 year married mark with his J-wife. But it made me wonder if it is even a remote possibility because he doesn`t work at all - his wife does, but he doesn`t. So everything will be based on her, I`m guessing. Besides being slightly jealous of his immense free time, I am really wondering if there is a real possibility of gaining PR as a stay-at-home husband.

Comment

• Originally posted by frownsarefun View Post
              Is having a job/paying taxes a pre-requisite to gaining PR status? A buddy of mine was talking about applying for PR soon because he is nearing the 3 year married mark with his J-wife. But it made me wonder if it is even a remote possibility because he doesn`t work at all - his wife does, but he doesn`t. So everything will be based on her, I`m guessing. Besides being slightly jealous of his immense free time, I am really wondering if there is a real possibility of gaining PR as a stay-at-home husband.
              A lot of women get PR as stay-at-home wives. In that case the husbands salary etc is the only one taken into account.
              It seems to help if there are children on the scene though.

I got PR when I had a small baby and was only working very part time.
              It was no problem whatsoever.

However - how that will work for a househusband is anyone's guess. My guess is that it would really depend on whether they have kids or not.
              If he is staying home so that she can work and they can sell it as a modern international approach to marriage - then he should be okay.
              If he is not working but there are no kids ..... Then I would think that the traditional sex roles and expectations would trump everything and he would find it hard to get PR.

Comment

• Originally posted by me2 View Post
                He didn't say they didn't cancel his reentry permit, he said they didn't 'cancel his visa' = PR.
                So now he is wondering if he can get back into Japan on his previous status.
                Yeah, ok. Doesn't matter, does it, since he filed to surrender his PR (which is not a visa) and handed in his alien card.

Comment

• Originally posted by Glenski View Post
                  Yeah, ok. Doesn't matter, does it, since he filed to surrender his PR (which is not a visa) and handed in his alien card.
                  Yes, I understand those things. psych is wondering if his PR has truly been canceled since immigration didn't stamp it such in his passport when he left. You thought he was talking about his reentry permit.

Comment

• Why does it take six months?

Comment

• Correct, still have uncanceled visa and have a re-entry permit. wonder what would happen if i went back on that visa.

6-months i think is the cut-off time for investigations. perhaps depends where you are registered

Comment

• Getting mine tomorrow. I applied about 7 months ago.

Comment

• Re: Permanent Residency - from start to finish (good and bad)

Hello,

I wanted to ask a question for a friend who got a PR and left Japan and came back to renew his re-entry permit once (after 3 years, when he had been out of the country for 2 out of those 3 years). He has now been out for a second set of 3 years and is planning to come back to renew his re-entry permit.

Do you think he would face any issues with getting a re-entry permit?

Cheers.

Comment

• You should ask immigrations, as they can be give you an answer!
                            Last edited by SteadyRollingMan; 2011-05-29, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• Seems strange that your friend is out of the country almost permanently, yet wants to retain PR for some reason. But, as long as he returns before the reentry permit expires, there shouldn't be any strong reason for immigration to deny him another permit. I'd expect a little strange looks, though.

Comment

• Applied March... Approved June 12

Got the postcard today to "come on down" with an 8000yen revenue stamp! So about 3months from start to finish.

Comment

Working...
                                X