Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

English Teachers and PR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English Teachers and PR

For someone that is not married to a Japanese, I have heard that PR a fairly straightforward thing in most cases- just live in the country for 5+ years, pay taxes, take your garbage out on the right days, and be an otherwise good boy- but for normal English teachers (not University English teachers) the chances are much slimmer because they don't really take it seriously as a profession.
    I would like to get PR, but I am wondering if it is totally a waste of effort because I am [just] an average English teacher- not married, no kids.
    Any stories? Any English teachers out there with PR?

If you are not married you have to be here 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by nynapaj View Post
      F and be an otherwise good boy- but for normal English teachers (not University English teachers) the chances are much slimmer because they don't really take it seriously as a profession.?
      If immigration didnt consider English teaching to be a serious profession then there is no reason they would issue a visa for you to work here on the first place. Teachers are gainfully employed immigrants, they pay taxes, health insurance and contribute to Japanese society through educating its citizens. It's only foreigners who come here and have an inferiority complex about teaching as a job.

PR requires 10 years continuous residence and even getting so much as a speeding ticket can torpedo an application.
      Last edited by KansaiBen; 2009-08-07, 10:36 AM.

Comment

People not married to Japanese usually need 10 years' residency here. Exceptions exist.
        http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/index.html

Advantages?
        Better odds of getting a housing loan.
        No need to renew like a visa. Once is enough.
        Renewal of alien card is every 7 years, not 5.
        Get married later, and then divorced or widowed, and you don't have to worry about changing status from a spouse visa.
        You can backdate your pension start time 20 years (although you can collect for only the number of years you have been putting into the system).

Comment

Working...
        X