Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

9 yr resident graduating from Jp uni with master's. Options? Job hunting visa (就職活動)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 yr resident graduating from Jp uni with master's. Options? Job hunting visa (就職活動)?

I am about to graduate with a master's degree from a Japanese university and I am on a student visa. I might go on to do a PHD abroad and if not, I will find a job abroad. I want to work that out and so, depending on my next move, I could be in Japan for up to another year (there is a woman involved too). So, I need to get a visa for that time period.

I was made to believe there is a "job-hunting" visa for recent graduates. I do not plan to get a full-time job in my field in Japan, but I want to be able to earn money teaching English and doing other freelance work while I find a job abroad or find a place to do my PHD.

I went to undergrad in Japan and worked after that, so in total I have been here nine years and when I was working I worked multiple part-time jobs teaching English and was consistently able to get a visa by combining part-time jobs, so I am familiar with immigration. I also do translation, graphic design, web-design, and random media related freelance jobs.

I want to stay for one more year at the most and have time to look for jobs abroad, so I want to do private lessons and freelance work, but I need a visa.

So, these are my 3 options as I see it:

1. Get a "job-hunting" (就職活動) visa and teach private lessons or get a few part-time jobs teaching English (and do other freelance)
    2. Get a few part-time jobs and get a visa (and do other freelance) (not a problem, but not the best option)
    3. Teach private lessons (and do other freelance) and somehow get a visa (I don't know if this is possible).

Number 3 or number one are the most attractive to me because I can make a lot more money teaching private lessons than I can working a part-time jobs and this will give me flexibility so I can look for jobs abroad and apply to PHD programs. Number 2, like I said is not a problem, but I don't really want to have set hours or have contracts, etc. The issue is: Can I do number 1 or number 3? If so what are the limitations?

So, my questions are:

a) Is there a "job-hunting" visa for recent grads in Japan? If so, how long is it? What are the stipulations? etc.
    b) Can I get a working visa by combining private English lessons and other freelance work? (As I said, I can do this with little hassle if I work part-time jobs somewhere, but I would rather be self employed.)
    c) Is it possible to start a business in which I do various types of freelance work and teach private English lessons and use that to get a visa?

If I can get the general gist of what is possible, I can work the rest out with immigration. I have always found them to be helpful, I just don't want to present them with this question.

Sorry for the complicated question. I know there are a lot of you on here who have a wealth of knowledge, so I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks so much for your help!

As far as I know there is no job-hunting visa in Japan. You get three months after your expected graduation date to find a job or tidy up your affairs and leave. I BELIEVE you can try to ask to get a 90 day tourist-waiver without having to leave at the end of that, but I'm not sure and am even less sure of the success rate. You should call immigration for that. In fact you could have called immigration about the job-hunting visa thing, too.

Only option you will have is the having multiple part-time jobs and self-sponsoring your visa. Obviously you will need to make sure you are still working "full time" when adding all the part-time jobs together to qualify for that, but as you seem to have gotten one before I am sure you know that.

Comment

Originally posted by bdmp View Post
      I
      1. Get a "job-hunting" (就職活動) visa and teach private lessons or get a few part-time jobs teaching English (and do other freelance)
      to my knowledge there is no such visa. You are not a student and not employed.

2. Get a few part-time jobs and get a visa (and do other freelance) (not a problem, but not the best option)
      For what you want to do you want self-sponsorship but you need 2-3 part time jobs with one "main" employer. All other visas require a full time job and a sponsor. Privates are not considered a legitimate form of income for the purposes of self-sponsorship.

3. Teach private lessons (and do other freelance) and somehow get a visa (I don't know if this is possible).
      see # 1 and 2 above.

c) Is it possible to start a business in which I do various types of freelance work and teach private English lessons and use that to get a visa?
      The only visas that don't require a sponsor are Permanent resident status and spouse visa. You have neither had a full time job so may not be able to find a sponsor. You can not run your own business (legally) while sponsored by someone else. If that was possible everyone would be doing it and no one would need a university degree to work here.
      Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-02-07, 09:32 PM.

Comment

After nine years in the country and graduation from a Japanese University with a master's..... shouldn't you be telling us rather than asking questions???

Comment

Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
          After nine years in the country and graduation from a Japanese University with a master's..... shouldn't you be telling us rather than asking questions???
          career student. what do you expect?

Comment

xHime, Thanks.

You other two, what is your problem? I appreciate your reply, but you don't know anything about me. Why does ever thread here have to turn into some bashing fest? It is almost worth not asking.

I help plenty of people when I know the answers to their questions. And after 9 years, there is a lot I do know. I have never graduated with a master's from a Japanese University and I have never been self employed. I know how to get a job and get a visa; that is not what I am asking.

Maybe I should change my avatar to a cat, post 10,000 times and be rude like you two.

Comment

I help plenty of people when I know the answers to their questions. And after 9 years, there is a lot I do know. I have never graduated with a master's from a Japanese University and I have never been self employed. I know how to get a job and get a visa; that is not what I am asking.

Maybe I should change my avatar to a cat, post 10,000 times and be rude like you two.
              I answered your question, you cant get a visa working part time nor can you run a business.

You need to prove to immigration you can support yourself, have regular income and that you dont end up on welfare. After nine years in Japan I would have thought you might have visited the immigration page once in a while.

Comment

I am about to graduate with a master's degree from a Japanese university and I am on a student visa. I might go on to do a PHD abroad and if not, I will find a job abroad. I want to work that out and so, depending on my next move, I could be in Japan for up to another year (there is a woman involved too). So, I need to get a visa for that time period.
                Since there is no "job-hunting visa", the best you can do is apply for a Temporary Visitor's visa, and hope that you get one for 90 days. Other option is only 15 days. Many uni grads who are foreign students go that route.

I do not plan to get a full-time job in my field in Japan, but I want to be able to earn money teaching English and doing other freelance work while I find a job abroad or find a place to do my PHD.
                As mentioned by others, you cannot get a work visa for PT work until having worked for a year on a visa and switching to self-sponsored status. What you want and what is available don't coincide.

I went to undergrad in Japan and worked after that, so in total I have been here nine years and when I was working I worked multiple part-time jobs teaching English and was consistently able to get a visa by combining part-time jobs,
                Student visa, though, right, and with special permission to work?

I also do translation, graphic design, web-design, and random media related freelance jobs.
                That's all very nice, but you're going to have to get a FT job.

I want to stay for one more year at the most and have time to look for jobs abroad
                Hunt in your time off like most people. It's about your only option

So, these are my 3 options as I see it:

Doesn't exist.

Can't, as explained above.

Perhaps possible on the Temp Visitor's visa, but only on the sly. I believe it's a non-work visa.

I don't really want to have set hours or have contracts, etc.
                You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

So, my questions are:

If you start a formal business, and have 2 FT Japanese employees working for you, you can apply for a Business Manager/Investor visa. However, to freelance around just to stay is not possible legally.

Comment

my advice to the original poster is not to listen to anything anyone on this forum is saying.

there is no job hunting visa but i believe that you may be onto something. i have also heard of cases where people who have lived here a long time as students and then finally graduated from university were given a grace period to find a job. if i remember correctly you can find some examples of this on the japan immigration bureau website.

i think you should consult with an immigration lawyer. usually a consultation is free.

if you are planning on living in japan you probably could get permanent residence here or possibly even citizenship after such a long time in the country.

this forum sucks, don't use it for serious matters

Comment

OP- clearly none of these people have graduated form a university in Japan.

There is absolutely a visa you can get for 就職活動 after you graduate from a Japanese university. However, you have to have a degree from a university in Japan as well as have been on their 留学 visa previously, which I am assuming you are.

It's technically under the term 特定活動 however.

You should qualify under these conditions from the MOJ website:

※対象は,次のいずれかに該当する者となります。
                    1  継続就職活動大学生
                     在留資格「留学」をもって在留する本邦の学校教育法 上の大学(短期大学及び大学院を含む。以下同じ。)を 卒業した外国人(ただし,別科生,聴講生,科目等履修 生及び研究生は含まない。)で,かつ,卒業前から引き 続き行っている就職活動を行うことを目的として本邦へ の在留を希望する者(高等専門学校を卒業した外国人についても同様 とします。)

Here's the link where shows how to do it and all the documents you need.

http://www.moj.go.jp/ONLINE/IMMIGRAT...o10_21_10.html

Don't listen to these guys as almost all of them came over to work as English teachers to begin with and didn't actually get degrees here so they have no idea. There is no looking for work visa if you didn't just graduate from a Japanese university, however if you went to school here there is. I have several friends that had them while they were looking for work.

The status doesn't allow you to work while you look-- unless you apply for special permission for a part time job with the same restrictions as your 留学 visa. You will still need to find a company to sponsor your visa when you find work.

Comment

xHime, Thanks.

You other two, what is your problem? I appreciate your reply, but you don't know anything about me. Why does ever thread here have to turn into some bashing fest? It is almost worth not asking.

So much for the hospitality industry........ Seriously, ask your professors idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by blacksunshine View Post
                        OP- clearly none of these people have graduated form a university in Japan.

There is absolutely a visa you can get for 就職活動 after you graduate from a Japanese university. However, you have to have a degree from a university in Japan as well as have been on their 留学 visa previously, which I am assuming you are.

It's technically under the term 特定活動 however.

You should qualify under these conditions from the MOJ website:

※対象は,次のいずれかに該当する者となります。
                        1  継続就職活動大学生
                         在留資格「留学」をもって在留する本邦の学校教育法 上の大学(短期大学及び大学院を含む。以下同じ。)を 卒業した外国人(ただし,別科生,聴講生,科目等履修 生及び研究生は含まない。)で,かつ,卒業前から引き 続き行っている就職活動を行うことを目的として本邦へ の在留を希望する者(高等専門学校を卒業した外国人についても同様 とします。)

Here's the link where shows how to do it and all the documents you need.

http://www.moj.go.jp/ONLINE/IMMIGRAT...o10_21_10.html

Don't listen to these guys as almost all of them came over to work as English teachers to begin with and didn't actually get degrees here so they have no idea. There is no looking for work visa if you didn't just graduate from a Japanese university, however if you went to school here there is. I have several friends that had them while they were looking for work.

The status doesn't allow you to work while you look-- unless you apply for special permission for a part time job with the same restrictions as your 留学 visa. You will still need to find a company to sponsor your visa when you find work.
                        Thanks. You are right. I went to Immigration today and there is a visa for job hunting. Just as you described it.

For everyone who tried to be of help, thanks.

As for the bad info and bad attitudes here...

I can't believe these ____ing people. They talk like they know everything, are wrong about everything, and they just rag on people. You people are idiots. Go ____ yourselves.

Thanks for ruining a once good resource. I am not coming back.

Comment

Originally posted by blacksunshine View Post
                          Don't listen to these guys as almost all of them came over to work as English teachers to begin with and didn't actually get degrees here so they have no idea.
                          Don't forget that most of them are still "English teachers" to end with, too.

Appreciatively,
                          A.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                            I answered your question, you cant get a visa working part time nor can you run a business.

You need to prove to immigration you can support yourself, have regular income and that you dont end up on welfare. After nine years in Japan I would have thought you might have visited the immigration page once in a while.
                            Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
                            The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
                            And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
                            But there is no joy in Mudville - mighty Casey has struck out.

Plagiaristically,
                            A.

Comment

.... They talk like they know everything, ..
                              not true. ....but I do know that grad school professors hold a tight rein on their students... none make a move without input and advice from the top. they hold the keys and the contacts necessary for all those who enter and exit grad school programs. including those who wish to move into their own companies. apparently you had a different experience???
                              Last edited by well_bicyclically; 2012-02-09, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X