Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Tourist visa renewal questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourist visa renewal questions

what's up gaijinpot heads?

i moved to japan on a 90 day tourist visa in january and it's gonna expire on the 1st of april. since i wanna stay more in japan, i wanna renew the visa for another 90 days. i've heard that you can do this inside japan without having do a visa run to for example south korea. i wanna check this with you guys, is it really possible? does anyone of you have experience doing this?

if it isn't possible and my request for visa renewal gets a big fat, sumo-sized no and i then do a visa run and try to return to japan for 90 days, can the immigration people at a japanese airpot see that my previous renewal was declined?

thanks in advance!

Originally posted by dino_bravante View Post

i moved to japan on a 90 day tourist visa in january and it's gonna expire on the 1st of april. since i wanna stay more in japan, i wanna renew the visa for another 90 days. i've heard that you can do this inside japan without having do a visa run to for example south korea. i wanna check this with you guys, is it really possible? does anyone of you have experience doing this?
    You can get it renewed at immigration but I did hear on the grapevine that Americans can not get a renewal, only 90-days. Dont know how true that is though. Don't leave it too late either.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
      You can get it renewed at immigration but I did hear on the grapevine that Americans can not get a renewal, only 90-days. Dont know how true that is though. Don't leave it too late either.
      actually, i'm swedish but maybe they treat swedes the same as americans. i don't know. thanks for the reply anyways.

does anyone know how likely it is that i will be allowed re-entry into japan after a visa run and after previously having been declined a visa renewal at immigration in japan?

thanks!

Comment

Haha - is that 'gaijin potheads' or 'gaijinpot heads'?

Comment

actually, i'm swedish but maybe they treat swedes the same as americans. i don't know. thanks for the reply anyways.

does anyone know how likely it is that i will be allowed re-entry into japan after a visa run and after previously having been declined a visa renewal at immigration in japan?

thanks!
          Hi dino, Im not sure though I believe they treat Swedish (Europeans) the same as Americans. I`ve never been in that situation so dont know what your chances are. I personally would go to Korea for few days and come back to Japan, just wouldn`t want to risk the visa being declined.

Comment

Such a serious thing. I would not count on Gaijin Potheads. Rather ask directly the Immigration. They don`t bite. Best of luck.

Comment

Immigration will only tell you the guidelines. Don't expect a definitive fact from them.
              If they suspect you are working illegally, they will say no.

BTW, Swedes get 3 months, not 90 days. Slight but important difference.
              http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/v...rt/novisa.html

Comment

if it isn't possible and my request for visa renewal gets a big fat, sumo-sized no and i then do a visa run and try to return to japan for 90 days, can the immigration people at a japanese airpot see that my previous renewal was declined?

thanks in advance!
                a lot will depend on your reason for it being denied in the first place. I don't see why immigration in Japan would turn you down and then the next week you are admitted at the port of entry. Main reasons for being refused:

You cant afford to live here and cant prove you have enough money to support yourself
                They think you are working or coming to work.
                Your entry to Japan otherwise looks suspicious.

Comment

thanks for the advice guys! i'm gonna try renewing the visa at immigration without leaving japan. so, i'm gonna contact them asap and ask if i can do it.
                  if they say i can come in for an appointment, i'm planning to bring the following documents:

letter of admission from the japanese language school (i plan to study japanese from april to june)
                  certificate proving that i'm gonna get student benefit during the course period

any other documents you guys would advice me to bring?

Comment

thanks for the advice guys! i'm gonna try renewing the visa at immigration without leaving japan. so, i'm gonna contact them asap and ask if i can do it.
                    if they say i can come in for an appointment, i'm planning to bring the following documents:

letter of admission from the japanese language school (i plan to study japanese from april to june)

Please don`t forget to bring your passport.

Comment

How about a document that says all the information you should have told us up front? I mean, REALLY! You want to go to a language school for >90 days, and you don't tell us right away?! Get your application in for a student visa ASAP. That's what immigration will probably tell you.

Unbelievable. You talk about renewing tourist status, but what you really need is to get a student visa. Help us to help you, ok?
                      Last edited by Glenski; 2012-03-13, 08:03 AM.

Comment

I am an American. I tried extending last year. I could not.
                        The guys downstairs gave me the paperwork to do so just fine. No problems. I filled it out. Submitted it. They checked it. Then I sat down with this girl that told me if I submitted that form, they would have to cancel my current Temp. Visitor visa. (And I think she was implying I'd be required to leave the country immediately after that.)

Comment

It's not really fromthe grapevine, it's written as clear as day on the MOJ website which countries can have a second 90 day tourist visa renewal, and which can't. Not sure if Sweden is on the list but it's easy for OP to Google and check.

Glenski is wrong, though. You can't get a student visa for 3 months or less of study. Plus, OP didn't say they were studying full time. Plus, it's WAY too late to apply for a student visa for April, they're currently taking applications for the fall semester. There are application periods for student visas.

Comment

@Glenski: i never said i want to study for more than 90 days, i said 90 days. as xHime pointed out, you have to study for more than 3 months to apply for a student visa. the reason why i didn't considering applying for a student visa is because when doing so immigration requires that you have 2 million yen in your bank account. since i can't fulfil that criterion i decided to go with, in my eyes, the second best option - to do another 3 month japanese language course on a tourist visa (i just completed one)

btw, i checked that mofa site you linked to and actually it says that the tourist visa for swedes is 3 months or less. however, i checked my passport and it says that i got 90 dayscmaybe they got sweden mixed up with switzerland or somethingcnot a very uncommon mistake.

@laflecha: thanks for sharing your experience. did you do a visa run after that? and if so, how did it go?

@xHime: could you please provide the link to that site? cause i've been trying to find it without success.

thanks for your replies so far guys. i'm gonna have my gf who's japanese call immigration. let's see what they say.

Comment

@laflecha: thanks for sharing your experience. did you do a visa run after that? and if so, how did it go?
                              Kind of sort of. I was in Seoul for 10 days with my friend. I traveled around quite a bit.
                              Immigration was not happy to see me when I returned. I didn't have a return ticket to America. I didn't know the address of my home stay family. I also had applied for a gaijin card, which they stamp in your passport and I think that raised another red flag. It took my a while to figure out how they knew what I city I had been living in so quickly.

And I did not directly tell them I was studying the Japanese language itself, I basically only just told them of all the stuff I did outside of school and how much touring I was going to be doing the next three months. I didn't lie to them. I just gave them only information they wanted and nothing more. They also do want to know about your money situation because "living in Japan is so expensive". So I showed them my Visa debit card.

Comment

Working...
                              X