Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Leaving Japan indefinitely while keeping PR status

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad this is helping others, too.

Another update, talked to city hall again about city/prefectural tax, and they said that I don't need to pay for this year's portion because I'm leaving (Jan - June of this year.) That's more good news. All I need to pay is federal tax for the time I'm here.

Comment

Originally posted by me2 View Post
      government.

Are you honestly saying that you think our guy should not only be paying his taxes and insurances to the American government, but also have Japanese shakai hoken deductions made on his American-earned salary AS WELL and that money sent to the Japanese government because if he doesn't when he gets transferred back to Japan at some hypothetical (=made up) date in the future he will owe 2 years of back payments before he can use his health insurance again?

I was on Shakai Hoken for about 7 years (actually the social health insurance for private universities but the same thing) and then when I went part time was made to cover all the premium payments myself. As I could not afford to pay monthly premiums the insurance office cancelled my health insurance policy. There have been many stories of people coming back here, wanting insurance and having to pay huge amounts of money because they had gaps in their payments.

City tax is only liable on income earned in Japan and up until the time you leave Japan (or up until the last tax period, as mentioned above). You will not pay city tax UNLESS you have outstanding dues. City office will not forgive you just because you are living out of the country. You will have to pay up any money you owe before you leave.

Its also rare he reads anything before replying. Mind you, there's not really much point to reading before answering since the 'information' in the form of 'fact' has already been predetermined.
      Actually its based on what happened to me, you are just like a dog with a bone.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
        There have been many stories of people coming back here, wanting insurance and having to pay huge amounts of money because they had gaps in their payments.
        And so you are speculating that he will have to pay, but are phrasing it as fact, when in fact you have no clue one way or the other.

City office will not forgive you just because you are living out of the country.
        Given your history of not knowing what you are talking about, you are going to need to back this up with some facts. I call bs.

Comment

Well, I don't know about other people and their experiences, but my wife and I talked to the head dude in the tax section of the city hall. He specifically stated we will not have to pay municipal/prefectural taxes (Shiminzei/Kenminzei) for this year. That means, although we are living here from January to June of this year, we will NOT be charged for that period. We only need to pay for the period ending last December, which we already did.

Also, to re-iterate: last week we had talked to the person in charge of National Health Insurance at the City Hall, and that person stated I do not need to pay for health insurance for the time that I am away from Japan PROVIDED I submit a 'non-residency' form detailing the date of my departure. That form is called@]o "TENSHUTSU TODOKE."

If this doesn't happen, then we will take issue with these two department heads and demand some answers.

I didn't have any gaps in health insurance payments, and I have also been paying my taxes like a good little gaijin. I pay my taxes, and I have no say in how they are spent! (although that is another issue entirely.) So there should be no officials at the airport waiting to extract payments due, because there are none. If there WERE payments due, then the city hall people would ask for money when I submit the 'non-residency' form at the office.

I hope that clarifies things.

Comment

I was on Shakai Hoken for about 7 years (actually the social health insurance for private universities but the same thing) and then when I went part time was made to cover all the premium payments myself. As I could not afford to pay monthly premiums the insurance office cancelled my health insurance policy.
            Which is a completely different scenario to what the OP is asking. But thanks for changing the topic to what you want to talk about. Again. Try to concentrate on what other people are actually asking about not your interpretation of it.

Originally posted by horrified View Post
            Well, I don't know about other people and their experiences, but my wife and I talked to the head dude in the tax section of the city hall. He specifically stated we will not have to pay municipal/prefectural taxes (Shiminzei/Kenminzei) for this year. That means, although we are living here from January to June of this year, we will NOT be charged for that period. We only need to pay for the period ending last December, which we already did.

Also, to re-iterate: last week we had talked to the person in charge of National Health Insurance at the City Hall, and that person stated I do not need to pay for health insurance for the time that I am away from Japan PROVIDED I submit a 'non-residency' form detailing the date of my departure. That form is called@]o "TENSHUTSU TODOKE."
            Thanks for all the info and for posting it. It will be useful for people in the future wanting to know the same thing. Best of luck to you back home!

Comment

I was on Shakai Hoken for about 7 years (actually the social health insurance for private universities but the same thing) and then when I went part time was made to cover all the premium payments myself. As I could not afford to pay monthly premiums the insurance office cancelled my health insurance policy. There have been many stories of people coming back here, wanting insurance and having to pay huge amounts of money because they had gaps in their payments.

City tax is only liable on income earned in Japan and up until the time you leave Japan (or up until the last tax period, as mentioned above). You will not pay city tax UNLESS you have outstanding dues. City office will not forgive you just because you are living out of the country. You will have to pay up any money you owe before you leave.

Actually its based on what happened to me, you are just like a dog with a bone.
              I think we are talking about very different things here. Obviously you have to be very careful about what happens with your health insurance - as you found out the hard way.

However, the OP has very sensibly gone to the city office and has found out his exact obligation regarding taxes and health insurance - how much he has to pay before he leaves and how to legally suspend payments while living away from Japan.

This is very useful information to have here, and I am grateful to the OP for coming back to share it.

Please don't confuse the issue by talking about things that don't relate to the OPs exact situation.
              Please don't muddy the issue by talking about

Comment

Originally posted by me2 View Post
                Thanks for all the info and for posting it. It will be useful for people in the future wanting to know the same thing. Best of luck to you back home!
                Thanks, man! We love our lifestyle here in Japan -- but the kids really need to get their education in a more globally-recognized format. Unless they want to pursue the sciences, I don't see those kinds of global opportunities available to degree-holders from Japanese universities.
                If we didn't have kids, I would be happy to stay and enjoy this 'bubble' existence non-Japanese can enjoy.

We'll be back.

Comment

Update time

I left - and I still have my Permanent Resident visa with a re-entry permit good for 3 years. I also still have my Alien Registration card. I'm good to keep the PR status as long as I visit Japan and get the re-entry renewed in the next 3 years. I didn't hit any problems at the airport. In fact, I went to a Japanese consulate abroad and they didn't give me a hard time about anything. Holding a PR visa while living abroad seems to be a non-issue.

Also, as I mentioned above, I don't have to pay taxes, health insurance or the like while I'm away because I did the paperwork for exiting Japan (]o "TENSHUTSU TODOKE.")

So I recommend any one else holding a PR visa to consider hanging on to it even if you plan on leaving Japan for an indefinite period. That way if you should decide to return, you will be holding a very convenient visa.

Comment

Any information about non PR work visa?

Does anyone have any experience or information about non PR work visa?
                    I've searched the forums with no luck.

Our situation is the same as the OP, but we don't have a PR.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by horrified View Post
                      And what a silly expression that is: who doesn't want to eat the cake they have?
                      This is the best post of the day. Glenski's usual soporific curmudgeonry aside, what is the bloody point of cake except to eat it.

I have always hated the self-contradiction inherent in that old finger wagger.

I suppose you're going to want to drive that fancy new auto you just bought???

If we buy you a puppy, you're going to want to play with it!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, it seems that 'have' is simply archaic for 'keep'.

And now you know..................

Great avatar, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by gokiburo View Post
                        Does anyone have any experience or information about non PR work visa?
                        I've searched the forums with no luck.

Our situation is the same as the OP, but we don't have a PR.

Thank you
                        There is no information because they are completely different things:
                        1. A work Visa allows you to work for the company that is your sponsor
                        2. Permanent Resident is a status that is given to people who have been here at least five years consequently, have paid taxes and never broken Japanese laws. It is not a visa.

You have to conduct separate searches for each categories independently, either work visa or permanent resident.

Comment

Originally posted by BackDoor_Man View Post
                          There is no information because they are completely different things:
                          1. A work Visa allows you to work for the company that is your sponsor
                          2. Permanent Resident is a status that is given to people who have been here at least five years consequently, have paid taxes and never broken Japanese laws. It is not a visa.

You have to conduct separate searches for each categories independently, either work visa or permanent resident.
                          Hello,
                          I actually had searched for "work visa" but did not use advanced search and looked for one year old posts or newer.
                          I've found one post here.

http://forum.gaijinpot.com/showthrea...ave+japan+visa

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                          X