Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Anit-marijuana prohibition causes death of man in Yokohama

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sure hope you aren't an alcohol drinker ruserious, or you are an amazing hypocrite.

Comment

Originally posted by ruserious View Post
      They won't let you enjoy cocaine or heroin, either. And those are also from "plants God planted."

I hope you're not really a pastor, because you're making Christians look bad.
      Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
      I'd rather have the occasional joint than spending a quarter of my life watching mind-altering, addictive tv (which would be legal).
      I'd rather have my lungs exposed to some smoke now and then than eating crap loaded with preservatives and hormones every day (which would be legal)
      It just bothers me (and a lot of people with me) that other people (the authorities) say that we are not capable of judging ourselves what is good and bad for us (concerning stuff that does absolutely no harm to others around us).
      It's not like we want to order people to smoke. We're simply pro-choice.
      Instead of prohibiting the stuff, governments could just inform people of the risks (like they do in the cases of alcohol, saturated fats, etc.)
      If people only left it to others to decide for themselves how to live their lives (in a peaceful way of course)...

Comment

Oh.. I thought it was about YokohamaTommy..

Comment

Originally posted by Genkii View Post
          Oh.. I thought it was about YokohamaTommy..
          Wow...you sure got me.
          What a zinger that was. Ouch.
          My cheeks are flushed with embarrassment;
          -and now I'm literally holding my sides and rolling on the floor from laughter.

whoo.

Comment

Originally posted by pastor Ralph View Post
            Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
            I'd rather have the occasional joint than spending a quarter of my life watching mind-altering, addictive tv (which would be legal).
            I'd rather have my lungs exposed to some smoke now and then than eating crap loaded with preservatives and hormones every day (which would be legal)
            It just bothers me (and a lot of people with me) that other people (the authorities) say that we are not capable of judging ourselves what is good and bad for us (concerning stuff that does absolutely no harm to others around us).
            It's not like we want to order people to smoke. We're simply pro-choice.
            Instead of prohibiting the stuff, governments could just inform people of the risks (like they do in the cases of alcohol, saturated fats, etc.)
            If people only left it to others to decide for themselves how to live their lives (in a peaceful way of course)...
            Addiction is harmful to you and to the society you live in. People form societies, and societies create laws to govern behavior.

If you don't like those laws, you can either move to a different society, or go find a deserted island and create your own.

The argument that some stuff is legal and arguably worse for you is not a valid justification for breaking the law.

Comment

If you don't like those laws, you can either move to a different society, or go find a deserted island and create your own.
              Actually it's pretty difficult if not impossible to do either these days.
              Someone always will be claiming dominion over you and demanding crap.

a teeny island on Micronesia perhaps?

Comment

Addiction is harmful to you and to the society you live in.
                And yet society seems to function ok with alcohol. You want to know what's much worse for society than addiction? Organized crime. And the prohibition of drugs has led to an environment in which organized crime thrives. Opinions like yours are actually significantly worse for society than the additions which they seek to condemn.

So I'm curious, when are you intending to move to a deserted island and create your own laws? You spend an awful lot of time whining about the laws in your country, by your own advice, you should already be on that island.

The argument that some stuff is legal and arguably worse for you is not a valid justification for breaking the law.
                How is smoking a legal drug breaking the law?

Comment

Yeah, but they are f-cking fun.

Christ, this thread is funny.
                  Up is down and down is up.
                  All the pieces on the board have been thrown up in the air and have settled in strange and unaccustomed positions.

Comment

I've not used it as an argument for breaking the law, just to point out that the law is wrong and should be removed.

Good point and another reason to legalize weed. I haven't smoked since I came here last September and don't feel any withdrawal symptoms. It's been scientifically proven to be less addictive than coffee.

People form societies, and societies create laws to govern behavior.
                    The anti cannabis law was created by the American occupational administration.
                    True, I can move, but I won't. For the Japanese guy who died it might have been a little more difficult. Perhaps he only spoke Japanese, had all his friends and family here and didn't have enough savings.
                    The argument that one should leave the country if one doesn't like the laws is a very dangerous one. Just imagine using that argument for other cases throughout history where people didn't agree with the law of that time and place. (laws oppressing religions, women, ethnicities, sexual preference, freedom of speech, etc) Having an unjust law removed seems to be a more constructive solution.

Comment

Originally posted by pastor Ralph View Post
                      The argument that one should leave the country if one doesn't like the laws is a very dangerous one. Just imagine using that argument for other cases throughout history where people didn't agree with the law of that time and place. (laws oppressing religions, women, ethnicities, sexual preference, freedom of speech, etc) Having an unjust law removed seems to be a more constructive solution.
                      You make a good point, particularly when you consider that ruserious lives in a country that chooses to impose its own law in other countries. How can you move when his country will attempt to persecute (yes, that's the word I meant to use) people in other countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
                        The Japanese media is reporting that a man has died after smoking Spice:

Rough translation: After smoking a powdered plant substance in an apartment in Yokohama, a 25 year old man has died. The police are currently investigating the exact cause, but are saying that it appears to be from so-called 'legal herbs'.

If the government had not outlawed an entirely safe legal plant, you wouldn't have people smoking these completely unknown, and often extremely dangerous, legal herbs. This man's blood is on the government's hands.

Looks like this man was smoking something legal too:

OSAKA \
                        Police said Wednesday that a man arrested in Osaka over a series of six hit-and-run incidents that took place last Sunday has admitted that he was high after smoking legal herbs.

According to police, the suspect, 22-year-old painter Takeshi Koizumi, was formally charged Tuesday with negligent driving resulting in injury. Koizumi, accompanied by a family member, had turned himself in on Monday night, Fuji TV reported.

Police said that Koizumi, who rented a car on Saturday night, is accused of six hit-and-run incidents while driving at least three wards in Osaka between 10:20 a.m. and 9:30 p.m. on Sunday. Among the victims was a 78-year-old woman who was struck in a Shinbashi shopping arcade and sustained a broken right leg, Fuji TV reported.

Koizumi is also accused of colliding with a sign in the same shopping arcade, which then struck an 82-year-old woman, causing minor
                        injuries, before going on to clip four stationary vehicles.

Following his arrest, Koizumi was quoted by police as saying that he had no memory of hitting anyone. He said that he had been smoking legal herbs and that he wasnft of sound mind. gI thought someone was following me,h he was quoted as saying, according to Fuji.

Japan Today

Comment

Yeah, that stuff can make you paranoid. Though to be fair, weed can make some people paranoid too. This guy was irresponsible by getting into a car. They should toss him in jail for a long time.

Comment

Marijuana will be mandatory - When the war on drugs is finally won

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
                            Yeah, that stuff can make you paranoid. Though to be fair, weed can make some people paranoid too.
                            Marijuana doesn't make anybody paranoid in Amsterdam!! The threat of Jail time makes people paranoid.

This is a jobs forum Eh. I once got a job in IT because I toked.

Comment

One of my biggest regrets in my life is that I didn't break the law and find a way to get my mother marijuana to help with the incredible pain of her incurable, chronic disease (MS). She used to say that it felt like rats were gnawing her feet

The medications did f<ck all to help and had horrible side effects.
                              (and the potential for abuse is just as high as for marijuana, if not higher)

I remember her talking about how studies had shown that marijuana was the most effective pain treatment for MS, with the least side effects. But there was no program for legal medical marijuana.

I wasn't a smoker myself, but I was at University - I'm sure I could have found it somewhere.
                              I really wish I had. If it had made things even a little bit better it would have been worth it.

Now if it had been legal......

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleDaisies View Post
                                One of my biggest regrets in my life is that I didn't break the law and find a way to get my mother marijuana to help with the incredible pain of her incurable, chronic disease (MS). She used to say that it felt like rats were gnawing her feet

The medications did f<ck all to help and had horrible side effects.
                                (and the potential for abuse is just as high as for marijuana, if not higher)

I remember her talking about how studies had shown that marijuana was the most effective pain treatment for MS, with the least side effects. But there was no program for legal medical marijuana.

I wasn't a smoker myself, but I was at University - I'm sure I could have found it somewhere.
                                I really wish I had. If it had made things even a little bit better it would have been worth it.

Now if it had been legal......
                                Some of it would depend whether she was a smoker anyway or found smoking repulsive. Lots of people these days hate smoking (ordinary cigarettes) and therefore don't want to smoke weed either...My parents' generation pretty much had all smoked at some time or other so had no problem with that. Maybe your mother was the same ?
                                My dad used to grow it in the garden so I accepted it as pretty much normal. I tried it several times myself but it didn't do a whole lot for me. When my dad had to stop growing his own because people noticed, I did get him it from university and I'm glad I did. It helped with his arthritis for starters and he appreciated it more than socks. Luckily, even had I been caught I doubt that I would have faced prison time in my country and I'm grateful for that. I just don't get the harsh sentences imposed in some countries for what should essentially be a private and personal choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X