Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

"Have a current working visa"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Have a current working visa"

As I understand it, when you get a job in Japan as an alien the organization takes care of your Certificate of Eligibility. You either cannot get a working visa or will have a very difficult time getting one without a certificate of Eligibility (Please correct me if this understanding is wrong). Just about all of the jobs I have looked at, most of them being either non-English teaching or non-conventional English teaching jobs, expect me to already have a working visa. Does this mean I should already have had a job before applying for these positions? Are traditional English teaching jobs the only ones that offer visa support?
    Thanks for your time!

It's pretty much all here...

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/

Comment

Many of these companies simply do not want to deal with anything that has to do with immigration, so they will only hire people who are already in Japan that have somesort of status that allows work.

Easy for people who already have permission in Japan, but harder for folks like you who don't have any status that allows work. You just have to keep digging around for a company that will sponsor a work status for you, if not pursue it from another angle. Jobs found on gaijinpot's "jobs" section are only a snippet of what's out there, you'd just got to dig around and find a company somewhere that will sponsor your status.

Comment

Originally posted by Shrilaraune View Post
        Does this mean I should already have had a job before applying for these positions? Are traditional English teaching jobs the only ones that offer visa support?
        Thanks for your time!
        Some people in Japan may have quit their jobs but still have a valid visa and can work. They usually dont need a sponsor for an existing visa. They can work on that visa till it comes time to renew.

If you are coming to japan you will either need a Working Holiday visa or a spouse visa before you can legally work. Other visas require a sponsor or someone willing to sponsor your visa and hire you full time. (Immigration does not allow employers to sponsor part timers). All such jobs offer sponsorship as long as employer is willing to sponsor your visa.

Comment

Originally posted by Shrilaraune View Post
          Just about all of the jobs I have looked at, most of them being either non-English teaching or non-conventional English teaching jobs, expect me to already have a working visa. Does this mean I should already have had a job before applying for these positions? Are traditional English teaching jobs the only ones that offer visa support?
          Thanks for your time!
          Yep. Either they don't to deal with the paperwork or the conditions are such (i.e. part time) that they cannot sponsor one. Or they had past bad experience for getting visas for people that quit soon after.
          So yes, you would need a spouse visa, WHV, work permission on a student visa or already a working visa from a previous company.

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you for your responses! I'll looking into the Working Holiday Visa.

Comment

Working...
            X