Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Top

Collapse

Applying for 2 COE ? (complex situation)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Applying for 2 COE ? (complex situation)

    Hi,

    I'm posting this thread since I really need help concerning a complex situation.
    I recently received a COE for a language school in Japan, the whole process did take many months and meanwhile I was just supposed to prepare well. However I just received at the same time, a possible offer for a Job in Japan which I'm interested in.

    BUT how will immigration service react ? If I own a COE for student visa, and finally decide not to get my student visa, and whether the company apply for a working visa at the same time, will it be a great issue ? Will immigration reject it because I rejected my student visa ?

    I literally don't know what to do. I'd like to work in Japan straightly but I wonder whether I'll be stuck and ejected from the immigration.

    If anyone has an hint or some usefull advices, please don't hesitate to post.

    Thank you.

  • #2
    You can't have 2 COEs in process. If you want the job instead of the student status, tell immigration to cancel the student visa application. If you can manage to work while being a student, get the student visa and special permission to work PT.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by FSlive View Post
      I recently received a COE for a language school in Japan, the whole process did take many months and meanwhile I was just supposed to prepare well. However I just received at the same time, a possible offer for a Job in Japan which I'm interested in.

      BUT how will immigration service react ? If I own a COE for student visa, and finally decide not to get my student visa, and whether the company apply for a working visa at the same time, will it be a great issue ? Will immigration reject it because I rejected my student visa ?

      I literally don't know what to do. I'd like to work in Japan straightly but I wonder whether I'll be stuck and ejected from the immigration.

      If anyone has an hint or some usefull advices, please don't hesitate to post.

      Thank you.
      I think the key here is 'possible' job offer. Is it a real job offer or not ? Will they be able to sponsor a visa ? Personally, I'd go ahead as planned and only cancel the language course (probably they want to charge you some cancellation fee) if the other offer is legally binding. It might also be easier to go to Japan first on the student visa and then change it to a working visa. If this takes longer than expected, just continue with the language course.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank your for the answers.

        Actually, I found out that COE demands are directly transmitted to local offices (immigration) therefore, there shouldn't be any issue whether the demands have been made separately for 2 differents city.
        The company is of course supposed to sponsor the visa, however I will follow the above advice and consider coming to Tokyo as a student.

        Thank you again.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by FSlive View Post
          Actually, I found out that COE demands are directly transmitted to local offices (immigration) therefore, there shouldn't be any issue whether the demands have been made separately for 2 differents city.
          Even so, you can't accept 2 visas.

          The company is of course supposed to sponsor the visa,
          I'm guessing this is poorly worded and should read something like, "The company has promised to sponsor the visa..." To say they are "supposed to sponsor" it means the company has an obligation to do so, which is not true.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by FSlive View Post
            Actually, I found out that COE demands are directly transmitted to local offices (immigration) therefore, there shouldn't be any issue whether the demands have been made separately for 2 differents city.
            Uhm...what? Even if the application is made in two separate cities, it's still the same Ministry of Justice that processes the COE. Don't you think they will find it strange that when they pull up your name, you have two different COEs pending for two different types of Visas? Worst case scenario (and probably the most realistic) they will see you already have a COE, and cancel both thinking its fraud.

            I don't think you want to be playing games with immigration like this. Especially since, according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, if the Embassy decides to reject your visa application for whatever reason (COE or otherwise), you'll have to wait six months before you can apply for a visa again.

            http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/faq.html

            I agree with Glenski in that it would probably be more wise to go ahead with your student visa process and change your status in country. Otherwise, if you're 100% sure that this job offer is going to happen, then cancel the COE you have now before your employer goes to apply for your new COE.
            Last edited by CustomZero; 2012-09-01, 10:55 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Glenski > yeah I haven't been given an "official" job offer yet, still being under discussion though.

              CustomZero> For sure, I don't wanna get involved into a tricky game with immigration.
              I will land to Tokyo as a common student, and go further as planned.
              Still have to reject the offer and say goodbye to it *tears dropping down*. If I study hard and strive to reach my goals, there're no reason not to receive better job offer in the future ...

              Thank you guys for your help.

              Comment

              Working...
              X