Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

New Residence Card Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Residence Card Question

So apparently with this new baby I can go in and out of Japan willy nilly providing I return within a year. Also it acts as my visa, so no need for passport stamped visa's etc.

With that being said, even if the Japanese government are all fine with me coming and going with just this card, I'm not so confident in the UK customs system. "You realise you outstayed your visa in Japan?" "Umm...actually this card is my new visa" "Shutup" (this is similar to most times I re enter the UK, yet it's usually just the Shutup bit).

Anyway my 2 questions are:
    1) Is it literally as simple as showing this card when you try to get back into Japan? No forms? Tick boxes? Anything?

2) Will there be any problems on the UK side? Or will they just really care about my visa's since it's nothing to do with the UK?

Cheers

UK Customs will be spectacularly uninterested in your status of residence in Japan.

The airlines, however, might not all have the memo (even though it's been a few months now). Maybe print a copy of the Immigration website with the details.

Comment

Originally posted by yojax View Post
      So apparently with this new baby I can go in and out of Japan willy nilly providing I return within a year. Also it acts as my visa, so no need for passport stamped visa's etc.

With that being said, even if the Japanese government are all fine with me coming and going with just this card, I'm not so confident in the UK customs system. "You realise you outstayed your visa in Japan?" "Umm...actually this card is my new visa" "Shutup" (this is similar to most times I re enter the UK, yet it's usually just the Shutup bit).

Anyway my 2 questions are:
      1) Is it literally as simple as showing this card when you try to get back into Japan? No forms? Tick boxes? Anything?

2) Will there be any problems on the UK side? Or will they just really care about my visa's since it's nothing to do with the UK?

Cheers
      You don't need the new card to come and go willy-nilly. The old card works fine. You do need to have visa/PR stamps in your passport and you have to check the right box on the departure card when you leave Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by Plats View Post
        You don't need the new card ... The old card works fine.
        That would be the "new" card as well - They are considered equivalent until 2015.

Comment

Also it acts as my visa, so no need for passport stamped visa's etc.
          Terminology check needed.

You got a visa to enter Japan and work, right? That got canceled in place of a status of residence, which is currently what is stamped as active in your passport and listed on your alien card.

You will need the passport to come back to Japan.
          The old alien card (as mentioned earlier) is still valid and does NOT act like a visa. Never has.

Comment

The simplest way to explain the changes caused by the new system in 3 sentences:

To Japan immigration, the passport and card (old or new, doesn't matter) collectively are the primary evidence of your residence status for purposes of reentry. Always present them as a pair, outbound and inbound. You do not need a reentry permit seal in the passport using either old or new card for trips under one year, just present the departure form for reentrants as before and tick the box.

Comment

I just returned from the US, and nobody even asked to see my alien card. Carry it, but there is no need to present it unless asked.

Comment

Originally posted by Plats View Post
                You don't need the new card to come and go willy-nilly. The old card works fine. You do need to have visa/PR stamps in your passport
                No more stamps in the passport with the new system. Only the Resident's Card.

Comment

-If you entered Japan before July 9, 2012 you still have stamps in your passport and you have the old alien card (if gotten before July 9, 2012).

-If you got these older items, they are still valid for re-entry into Japan and you do not need a re-entry permit if you left for trips out of Japan July 9, 2012 or after.

-**At the airport, you fill out the departure card and check mark "SPECIAL RE-ENTRY"**

-If you entered Japan on or after July 9, 2012, they no longer stamp your passport with a landing permit/status of residency instead they issue you a new Residence Card.
                  When leaving Japan for trips under one year follow the same steps above.
                  *If leaving Japan but planning to return over one year, a re-entry permit is still required.

*If you entered Japan before July 9, 2012, but replaced your old ARC with the new Residence Card, then you have both stamps and a new card.
                  *If you have the old ARC card, it is not necessary to get the new Residence Card (just yet), for *immigration purposes, the old ARC is as good as the new residence card
                  *Note I said for "immigration purposes*, some places like the Post Office, no longer accept the old ARC card

-Your home country gives a rats butt about your foreign immigration status, nor can they enforce Japanese immigration laws on you to begin with. All they care about is if you are not a wanted criminal or have 50kilos of cocaine in your luggage.

-IATA info has been updated with the new info for Japan. Airlines have access to the IATA information when they need referencing on visa/passport related information for passengers. It shouldn't be a problem with the airline.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenski View Post
                    I just returned from the US, and nobody even asked to see my alien card. Carry it, but there is no need to present it unless asked.
                    I was asked for it on my first outbound leg after July 9, so I've been presenting both.

Comment

Originally posted by evilone View Post
                      I was asked for it on my first outbound leg after July 9, so I've been presenting both.
                      I have always presented my card and passport at the same time - both when departing and again when returning. Apparently not necessary to do so, but easy enough to do.

Comment

Okay thanks everyone.

Seems pretty simple: Present both my residence card and passport AND check the SPECIAL RE-ENTRY box on the form given on the airplane.

If that's wrong or I'm still missing something can someone please let me know! Otherwise thanks a bunch!

Comment

Originally posted by yojax View Post
                          Okay thanks everyone.

Seems pretty simple: Present both my residence card and passport AND check the SPECIAL RE-ENTRY box on the form given on the airplane.

If that's wrong or I'm still missing something can someone please let me know! Otherwise thanks a bunch!
                          Not the "form given on the airplane." There is no such form for re-entrants. You fill in the two-part form when you exit Japan (just before the immigration booth - there will be a pile of cards). Immigration keep part 1 when you depart, staple part 2 to your passport and detach and keep it when you return.

Comment

Originally posted by ksnasi lurker View Post
                            Not the "form given on the airplane." There is no such form for re-entrants. You fill in the two-part form when you exit Japan (just before the immigration booth - there will be a pile of cards). Immigration keep part 1 when you depart, staple part 2 to your passport and detach and keep it when you return.
                            Thanks! One less thing to worry about!

Comment

Originally posted by TJrandom View Post
                              I have always presented my card and passport at the same time - both when departing and again when returning. Apparently not necessary to do so, but easy enough to do.
                              The only time I have ever had to show my Gaijin card upon return into Japan was at Nagoya International. At Narita and Haneda, the Re-entry permit stamp in my passport was enough. I've never showed and never been asked to show my Gaijin card upon departure.

I haven't got my new residence card yet, mainly out of laziness but I haven't had any fuss or questioning over presenting the stamps in my passport as their still valid until early next year.

Also I should probably note I travel internationally a lot, so lots of pages in my passport with departing and arrival stamps mainly from Narita but again no bother at immigration except that one time in Nagoya.

I'm guessing with the new Residence Card, there will no longer be any need for re-entry permit stamps in my passport? I guess that's fine though a little worrying say if you loose your residence card but not your passport while over seas.

Comment

Working...
                              X