Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Temporary Visitor status to Spouse Visa whilst in Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporary Visitor status to Spouse Visa whilst in Japan

Is it possible to enter Japan as a temporary visitor (3 months visa waiver) then marry a Japanese citizen and obtain a Spouse Visa without leaving Japan?

This seems to be a bit of a grey area and some clarification on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Originally posted by Pot luck View Post
    Is it possible to enter Japan as a temporary visitor (3 months visa waiver) then marry a Japanese citizen and obtain a Spouse Visa without leaving Japan?

This seems to be a bit of a grey area and some clarification on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    I suppose in theory it's possible, although three months doesn't give you much time to find a Japanese citizen who would be willing to marry you.

Comment

Originally posted by iago View Post
      I suppose in theory it's possible, although three months doesn't give you much time to find a Japanese citizen who would be willing to marry you.
      My fiance is a Japanese citizen.

Comment

Yes. I (and many others) have done exactly the same thing. You apply for a change of status.

Comment

Thanks
          http://forum.gaijinpot.com/showthrea...a-Tourist-Visa

I just arrived back in Japan on a tourist visa and will be getting married in 2 weeks and will be changing my visa status. Should be no problem at all.

Comment

Originally posted by TeRReT View Post
            Should be no problem at all.
            except some people need a letter of freedom to marry from their embassy

Comment

Originally posted by AW1 View Post
              Which is ironic given the nature of the transaction.

I'm sorry sir, but before we can sentence to you life with no parole, we require that you show us proof you are up to date on your car insurance and hang gliding club payments.

Comment

Sorry, I meant provided you have done the research and know what documentation you need and get everything ready, then it is possible.

It was very easy for me to get my letter of freedom in English and translated in Hiroshima.

Comment

Good day!! I'm new here.... I jaz submitted my change of status ( fr tourist visa to spouse visa ), last Friday, mar 29, 2013... Jaz married last mar 11, 2013 here in japan...we have a japanese citizen child, she's 6 yrs old, and she's with us here in Japan, she'll be going to school on apr 8, 2013... My husband is also a japan government employee....does ol of these can help us speed result???? Tnx so much

Comment

Yuriya rge only one that can answer your questions is Immigrations! Hear we can only express just (not jaz) what we think we know!

Comment

Yes, but you don't have to come to Japan to marry a Japanese or to apply for a spousal visa.

Moreover, if you DO come here to marry and get the visa, documentation for Americans is scant, and there is no 21-day waiting period like for Brits. Once the application for the visa is stamped in your passport, you can stay longer than the 3 months, too, until you hear either way about the visa.

(By the way, it's 90 days for Americans, not 3 months. Picky difference but important in the number of days.)

Comment

Originally posted by BackDoor_Man View Post
                        Yuriya rge only one that can answer your questions is Immigrations! Hear we can only express just (not jaz) what we think we know!
                        Eniweiz, tnx......tnx.....( dats my way of texting hahaha, soweee, but of corz I knw d correct spelling )

Comment

Originally posted by Yuriya View Post
                          Good day!! I'm new here....does ol of these can help us speed result???? Tnx so much
                          Because you are new here the results will come very fast

Comment

Because you are new here the results will come very fast
                            Good day!!! OMG, got a letter/postcard this morning.... From the immigration.....whoooahhhh, im so happy....hope and pray that there's a good result on my spouse visa application..1st hr in the morning of Monday, I'll be going to the immigration office, to find out, what's behind this post card..Thanks much....

Comment

I forgot to tell you .. The postman is always behind bad news. BTW are you a queer ? It's maybe the way you text or mumble your words
                              Last edited by AW1; 2013-04-07, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X