Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Can't get to the immigration office during their work hours.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get to the immigration office during their work hours.

My new visa will be ready to get next week. I have to take a few things with me when I do, like passport, gaijin card, revenue stamps. However, I wont be able to make it there during their work hours and I just started a new job, so I don't want to take time off just yet.

Is it possible for me to send my girlfriend to the immigration office on my behalf? Would she be able to take care of everything without me being there?

Originally posted by ChucklingJawa View Post
    My new visa will be ready to get next week. I have to take a few things with me when I do, like passport, gaijin card, revenue stamps. However, I wont be able to make it there during their work hours and I just started a new job, so I don't want to take time off just yet.

Is it possible for me to send my girlfriend to the immigration office on my behalf? Would she be able to take care of everything without me being there?
    Immigrations is not going to allow that! It is your visa, so if you have to take the time out, then be it. Your employers will have to understand and can not hold it against you!

Comment

Nope have to do it yourself, Im sure your employer can give you a half day off no?

Comment

Originally posted by ChucklingJawa View Post

ACtually you CAN send someone on your behalf, however you need to have written it on the original form. There is (or used to be) a space at the bottom of the visa application form where you sign it which says something like "If your sending someone on your behalf to pick it up, please write their information here." I doubt you could just send her with all your documents, due to privacy reasons.
        However why not give them a call and ask?

I totally understand your frustration with work hours / bad public hours - I have been there, done that and got the T-shirt.

Wouldn't it be great if ALL public facilities (including ward and city offices) had just ONE night a week where they open a couple of hours later? Or just one saturday a month where they open? Sigh...

Comment

Just tell your manager "'I'll need to pick up my visa and do first thing in the morning, what day is best ?'.
          A working visa is definitely work related, but for personal things (e.g. a drivers licence if not needed for the job), you woul need to take time off.

Comment

Sure it used to be that one could "send someone on your behalf" but it was someone legally related to the person, not a girlfriend or a friend !

Comment

Originally posted by ume View Post
              Wouldn't it be great if ALL public facilities (including ward and city offices) had just ONE night a week where they open a couple of hours later? Or just one saturday a month where they open? Sigh...
              Don't worry. Some politician will sell that as the reason for a new tax, then spend the money on a pet project in some obscure location.

Comment

You need the visa before you can LEGALLY work. Point that out to your employer. If he doesn't send someone in your place or let you go, then you are going to be an ILLEGAL worker. I may be wrong, but I think the new regulations included penalties for the EMPLOYER in such situations from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenski View Post
                  You need the visa before you can LEGALLY work. Point that out to your employer. If he doesn't send someone in your place or let you go, then you are going to be an ILLEGAL worker. I may be wrong, but I think the new regulations included penalties for the EMPLOYER in such situations from now on.
                  Every company I ever worked for in Japan granted paid time off to their foreign staff for dealing with visa formalities.

Comment

Originally posted by BackDoor_Man View Post
                    Sure it used to be that one could "send someone on your behalf" but it was someone legally related to the person, not a girlfriend or a friend !
                    I'm not sure what you mean by "legally related" since my company has a contract with an immigration lawyer to take care of all visa stuff for us. When it comes time to renew, they come to the office, pick up your passport, and you get it back in a few days with your fresh stickers.

edit: here's their website: http://www.ils-co.jp/index.html
                    Last edited by zmcnulty; 2013-04-05, 03:11 PM.

Comment

In that situation the layer or the legal representative carries proof that they represent such and such company and they are bring or picking such and such employees documents. You could send your son or daughter and if they are foreign they could show their Gaijin cards and get the documents and or passport. if they are Japanese they have to show a drivers license or a copy of their family register. A girlfriend or a friend would not have anything that would show any connection to the person they would claim they are representing and would likely face an interview as a suspected criminal. Any person can not just waltz into immigrations or any Government office (also a city/ward office) and get documents belonging to someone else.

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/index.html
                      Last edited by BackDoor_Man; 2013-04-05, 04:09 PM.

Comment

A properly executed 委任権 would probably be enough. There are plenty of sample forms available. Google is your friend.

Comment

Stupid site and their dumb____e text editor makes it impossible to erase double posts!
                          Last edited by BackDoor_Man; 2013-04-05, 04:11 PM.

Comment

This same situation happened to my friend. His coordinator referred him to a service that does just this. You have to entrust your documents and passport to them, but they will go on your behalf. I know there is a reputable company in Ibaraki ken, but you'll have to ask around for a reputable company where you live. I stress the reputable part because of the sensitivity of your documents which they will have possession of.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. Here's just a quick update. So, my boss understands and will give me some time off one day to go collect the form. I called a few people and they basically agreed with a lot of what people said here. I could send someone on my behalf but they would have had to have been registered when I first applied for my visa. They could add them now but it's a whole ordeal in and of itself.

So, I m going to go this week or possibly next to pick up the visa.

I'm so close to the finish line, I can already taste the champagne.

Comment

Working...
                              X