Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Can a dependent visa stay in Japan if the household leaves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a dependent visa stay in Japan if the household leaves?

My spouse has a dependent visa which will expire after 6 months (the same as mine). I want to go back home (out of Japan) soon but my spouse wants to stay for some months (she is doing Japanese language and also works for some hours). Now, the question is: if I leave Japan without re-entry permit, will my spouse's visa become invalid? If it becomes invalid, what are the options if she wants to stay for some months. Ok, one option is: I get reentery permit when I go out though i won't be back before my visa expires but this has costs such as i will continue to pay taxes and other obligations. Any advice is appreciated. I hope I was clear. I can also clarify if needed. Thanks!

Your best chance is to speak with immigrations itself and they can answer all your questions directly.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. The idea of a 'dependent' visa is that the person is 'dependent' on you and moves with you.
      If you officially 'end' your stay and return home your spouse's visa would need to end as well, unless you can convince immigration into giving some extension and special treatment (e.g. husband gets a new post back home but wife and kid want to stay until the school term ends).
      Or she could get a visa for language study. For me, the easiest would be that you keep your residence card when you leave Japan instead of returning it. There is no ''re-entry permit' any more.

Comment

You don't have to buy any reentry permit if you stay outside Japan for a year. You just have to tick a box that says that's how long you're leaving for. The problem is that you can't do that OR buy a reentry permit if you leave very close to when your visa expires. Help us out here. What exactly is the timing on your visa expiration and departure date? You only said you want to leave "soon".

If you can sneak by with this ploy, you don't pay, and your spouse can stay until her visa runs out. If she wants to stay beyond that, she'll have to change her status (probably to Temporary Visitor Visa). No biggie except that unless the status is a work visa (or a student visa with special permission to work), she won't be able to continue working.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenski View Post
          You don't have to buy any reentry permit if you stay outside Japan for a year. You just have to tick a box that says that's how long you're leaving for. The problem is that you can't do that OR buy a reentry permit if you leave very close to when your visa expires. Help us out here. What exactly is the timing on your visa expiration and departure date? You only said you want to leave "soon".

If you can sneak by with this ploy, you don't pay, and your spouse can stay until her visa runs out. If she wants to stay beyond that, she'll have to change her status (probably to Temporary Visitor Visa). No biggie except that unless the status is a work visa (or a student visa with special permission to work), she won't be able to continue working.
          Thank you guys for the thoughts.

There is 7 months between my departure and visa expiry.

A related question is: can someone with a dependent visa make a "change of address notification" to city hall on behalf of the householder? I am asking this to know if my spouse can do that once I am out of Japan in case she wants to move to a cheaper house within the same ward. Can a dependent be a legal proxy to notify change of address to city hall?

Thanks!

Comment

I'd say ask your city hall office. Case by case. One would THINK it's allowed, but who knows?

Comment

Working...
            X