Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

I want to become a Japanese Police Officer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to become a Japanese Police Officer

I am going to a American College in a Year and I have Japanese citizenship, and I am half Japanese (and half chinese). I also have US citizenship, which I am willing to renounce.

I am fluent speaking wise in Japanese (Native Fluency, no accent), but my writing/reading could be improved (Which I am planning to heavily study in college). I also have relatives (grandmother, and aunts family) who I are close to me, who I could live with for a year or so (In Tokyo)

How difficult will it for me to get a job as a police officer?
    Will I be rejected because I have a western name?
    Is their anything I should study for, or be prepared for (Other then physicals)?

I see the job as a police officer as a relatively simple and peaceful job in Japan, though I wouldn't mind action. Would I live in poverty as a police officer, or does the benefits that comes with being one make up for it?

I was at one point considering becoming a Police Officer in where I was born(NYC), but I'd honestly prefer to live a long life.
    Last edited by gbatemper; 2013-09-07, 04:55 AM.

Originally posted by gbatemper View Post
    ... How difficult will it for me to get a job as a police officer? Will I be rejected because I have a western name? Is their anything I should study for, or be prepared for (Other then physicals)? ...
    If you have Japanese nationality (not citizenship, BTW) then you also have a Japanese name - no? I believe that Japanese police go thru a police academy, so quite a bit more than a physical.

Comment

I've heard they recruit primarily on one's level of incompetence.

Are you the kind of guy who pisses on the toilet seat?
      Can't find your wife's happy-hole despite being married ten years?
      Still answer the door to the NHK guy?

Then join the Japanese police force!

Comment

Originally posted by TJrandom View Post
        If you have Japanese nationality (not citizenship, BTW) then you also have a Japanese name - no? I believe that Japanese police go thru a police academy, so quite a bit more than a physical.
        Not necessarily true. My kids have Japanese nationality and do not have Japanese names. They are on my wife's koseki with the names on their birth certs which are Western names.

But if the OP is considering joining the Police here in Japan a Japanese name would certainly make it easier. I think with a Western name there would be much sucking of teeth when they see a Western name on the application form.

OP - have you lived in Japan for any extended period of time? Do you understand the work culture here and how it will be a little more extreme within the Police force?

Comment

Originally posted by biking View Post
          Not necessarily true. My kids have Japanese nationality and do not have Japanese names. They are on my wife's koseki with the names on their birth certs which are Western names.

But if the OP is considering joining the Police here in Japan a Japanese name would certainly make it easier. I think with a Western name there would be much sucking of teeth when they see a Western name on the application form.

OP - have you lived in Japan for any extended period of time? Do you understand the work culture here and how it will be a little more extreme within the Police force?
          Yes, I have lived in Japan for 2 months, and I have gone their every other year for a month or so (For 7 years). I understand the work culture in Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by gbatemper View Post
            How difficult will it for me to get a job as a police officer?
            ...Is their anything I should study for, or be prepared for (Other then physicals)?
            Don't you find it unusual to ask these questions in a gaijin forum rather than checking out the application/selection procedures at the official homepage(s) ?

Personally, I would think they would love to have officers who can speak English/Chinese (e.g. to deal with the Chinese Mafia).

Comment

Depends on your age. If you are over 25 its already too late.

Also I think you need to be a Japanese national. And yes you need to go to a police academy.

[youtube="1m3xpvLa84U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m3xpvLa84U[/youtube]
              Last edited by wernst; 2013-09-09, 08:57 AM. Reason: fracking utube link

Comment

OP,
                To each his/her own

BUT

if our son wanted to become a run of the mill police officer here, there would be a serious argument.
                It is easy to pass the test. Three of my students have become cops over the years as a LAST RESORT because it provides steady work/salary. Actually, there was one more, a young woman, who wanted to become one. Her job was considerably more lax. I've seen her a few times.

In spite of TV dramas that suggest otherwise, cops are very low on the totem pole over here, whether they are honest in intent or not. Many people do not respect them much. The salary is quite low. It is a "military" job so this means that, as a general cop on the beat, you'd be beholden to everyone above you. If I were your dad, I'd recommend you consider getting a degree (if you don't already have one) and becoming a police officer in the States. If you are worried about policing in NYC, then how about a safer, bucolic setting such as Rhode Island, Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, rural Oregon, Wisconsin, etc.?

Comment

Half Chinese? They might not like that.
                  I think the cops here are alright. I used to teach one's daughter and he was a smart guy and enjoyed his job. Made a decent enough salary.
                  Practice holding a broomstick in front of you and scowling. They like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
                    In spite of TV dramas that suggest otherwise, cops are very low on the totem pole over here, whether they are honest in intent or not. Many people do not respect them much. The salary is quite low. It is a "military" job so this means that, as a general cop on the beat, you'd be beholden to everyone above you. If I were your dad, I'd recommend you consider getting a degree (if you don't already have one) and becoming a police officer in the States. If you are worried about policing in NYC, then how about a safer, bucolic setting such as Rhode Island, Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, rural Oregon, Wisconsin, etc.?
                    You are wrong in many things about this. Being a police officer in this country is designated as a civil servant job and the salary is not that low, and it is not a "military" job like you stated. Plus, the chances of being killed / injured on the job are a whole lot less than anywhere in America! You normally give good advice but this time you are way off the mark!

Comment

Originally posted by TheHotCondom View Post
                      You are wrong in many things about this. Being a police officer in this country is designated as a civil servant job and the salary is not that low, and it is not a "military" job like you stated. Plus, the chances of being killed / injured on the job are a whole lot less than anywhere in America! You normally give good advice but this time you are way off the mark!
                      Was about to say something similar. Instead I'll edit it down to one last point.

@Super Grover: Why is steady work something bad to aspire? Being a police might not be quite like it is on TV, nevertheless it is both a job like any other in that is has stretches of drudgery, repetition and boredem - but so too it is an interesting and engaging civil servant job with particular, well unique work conditions. A way to give back to your country, improve community safety and grow in some circumstances kick against the pri.cks.

But since this is a gaijin site, should I be screaming "ferk da police, yesterday they walked past me when I was illegally parking my bike in some mansion's (note, I don't live there, it's just random) bike lot and I gave them fekkers an evil eye, practically begged the weakling, non-gun-wearing douches to come at me, ta check mah eye-dee. Yeah, that's what I did... but they didn't do anything. Ha! Just like I thought. Ferk the puhlees! Ferk em and all their racist profiling..."

God, even I got sick of writing that after a sentence or two. How some y'all keep it up for years I'll never know.

Tilting drunk on top of windmills, hills to picnic on, mixed metaphors and m0ngrel half breeds. Whatevs.

Comment

All fair and balanced, but I'm with TTokyo. Why is he even thinking of asking on here??? There's a ton of Nikkei and Paper Only Japanese sites catering to just this sort of queer-y.

For a Paper Only Japanese with no In Japan residence history, no Japanese social skills or knowledge and without proper Japanese skills the chances of getting hired by the police agency recruiters are nil or less than.

Glad to hear you're still fightin' the powah, though dood.

Wepwazent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheHotCondom View Post

http://www.japan-now.com/article/353929027.html

NPA differs from prefectural police. Pay varies from prefecture to prefecture as well as according to the type of police work being done (i.e., riot police get paid more). Probationary police are not well paid. Police, if I'm not mistaken, took a 15% forced salary cut this year. 6,469,200 at 39.2 years of age in Tokyo does not seems all that good to me even with cheap housing.

OP, sorry. Rereading, I see that you'll enter college, so your salary shouldn't be so bad.

Comment

I think that we all tend to be prejudiced when it comes to the police in this country, we tend to think in the western sense of what we think a policeman is or should be! In my 20 odd years here every time I had to interact with any police, they have always been courteous, polite and helpful. I can honestly say that I and none of my friends have everbbeen hassled by them. Oh! I know there are some old timers on here that will disagree and have stories to tell but I sincerely believe 99% of those stories to be embellished and 100% BS. If people go looking for trouble they will find it and basically we only have the old timers sides of the stories!

Comment

If you have Japanese nationality, then you can be a police officer, even if you are only half Japanese. There are a few who are half Brazilian, born in Brazil.

The salary is rather poor, and has indeed just been cut - the exact percentage depends on what the salary was. But the pension is rather good. Working night shifts and overtime raises the base salary up quite a bit.

You will have to spend some time in the police academy - probably six months, although if you have skills they need quickly, this can be cut to three months. That is run like a military training establishment, with regular room and kit inspections, and morning runs.

Exactly how much discrimination there will be against you varies from police force to police force, and within each police force. Where I live, there are some quite high ranking ones who flat out dislike all foreigners. They are, however, the exception. When my wife told her bosses she was marrying a foreigner, there was some disbelief, and she was told that if her fiancee was Brazilian or Chinese, she would have to leave her job. That said, there are some male police officers married to women from those nationalities, and, as I said, some half Brazilian police here.

If your reading and writing of Japanese isn't very good, then you probably won't be accepted. If our bookshelves are anything to go by, there will be a lot of textbooks about the law and criminal procedures you need to study.

And if you have any links to the Communist Party, there is no point at all in applying.

Comment

Working...
                              X