Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

I want to become a Japanese Police Officer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your chances are much higher in becoming a Police Officer in the USA with your background. NYPD isn't that bad, if you want something cosier, then as mentioned try neighboring areas, Nassau County, Port Authority or some other law enforcement job. NYC has the highest concentration of law enforcement agencies of any other city in the US, it is not just the NYPD there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enf..._New_York_City

If you want to be a police officer in Japan, you'd better go to a Japanese univeristy, I sometimes see advertisements on the train for senmon gakkou that help those who want to become Japanese police officers. But you mentioned your reading and writing skills are poor (which are more mportant skills for a police officer, not just holding a gun). Never actually living in Japan for a long period of time is another major draw back. You're more likely to find employment in other fields. If you really want to become a police officer, the US is your best chance.

When in doubt, pick up the phone and talk with a Japanese police recruiter, really none of us here can really tell you.
    Last edited by themoonrules; 2013-09-10, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by metalli-kurisu View Post
      I've heard they recruit primarily on one's level of incompetence.

Are you the kind of guy who pisses on the toilet seat?
      Can't find your wife's happy-hole despite being married ten years?
      Still answer the door to the NHK guy?

Then join the Japanese police force!
      hahahaha what the ____? hilarious

Comment

Originally posted by gbatemper View Post
        Yes, I have lived in Japan for 2 months, and I have gone their every other year for a month or so (For 7 years). I understand the work culture in Japan.
        Staying here with relatives for 2 months is NOT the same as living here, and since you have not actually worked here you definitely don't know the work culture from personal experience. For that matter if you're just starting college then you may not know US work culture either. I'm just saying there is so much culturally different if you have grown up entirely in the US you may or may not have a lot of adjusting to do -- especially if you are passing as 'real Japanese' and not an 'overseas returner'. Gaijin can get a lot of slack and not be expected to know and strictly follow all the very minute detailed customs but you would be expected to know exactly the right way to do everything and not given any slack if you do or say something 'rude'.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade but I think you are incredibly underestimating the difficulty. Even in jr high or high schools they really don't like Japanese 'returner' kids who lived abroad because they have picked up too many ideas about being an individual and thinking for themselves, asking lots of questions, etc.

Of course you had no problems fitting in with your grandparents and relatives when you visited, they're *family* and they know you are not really Japanese. The Japanese work environment would be brutal for you and probably much more so in the police department unless you really love to take orders and be told exactly how to do everything and shouted at when you're slightly off on anything. If you really want it enough you can do just about anything, but you are totally kidding yourself when you say 'yes I understand the Japanese work environment' when you haven't even gone to school here, let alone had a job here!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kabunushi View Post
          Staying here with relatives for 2 months is NOT the same as living here, and since you have not actually worked here you definitely don't know the work culture from personal experience.
          I remember hearing that in order to be a first responder in Japan, you need to be native Japanese. They want this because they're concerned that, in a super-high stress situation, a non-native speaker's Japanese ability might be rattled. I don't know how realistic that is, but it might weigh into the OP's situation.

Comment

Working...
          X