Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Acting Related Job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acting Related Job?

For the monthly budget: I asked in other thread in gaijinpot.

Now:
    1-My preparation in both Japanese language (able to read and write in Hiragana & Katakana) and acting skills are in ready mode.
    2-I already graduated as a degree level candidates.
    3-I have an international passport & tourist visa.
    4-My model pictures are ready for the purpose.

I need your guide about:
    a-How can I get a working visa or holiday working visa?
    b-Where should I start? Apply online as a model or actor, which company? If interview directly at Japan, which company?
    c-Should I go directly for acting firms or I need a standy of more reliable job. (**With the fact: I have a very good look.)
    d-When will the wage be out (monthly or 2 months)?
    e-Is there any Japan website or social network where I can post or they want for model pictures as a display?

Thank You
    Last edited by reon; 2011-11-29, 04:27 AM.

Originally posted by reon View Post
    I need your guide about:
    a-How can I get a working visa or holiday working visa?
    if you are from New Zealand Australia, Canada Ireland, France UK you can get a working holiday visa from the Japanese embassy in your country. Americans are ineligible for Working Holiday visas.

There is no work visa for actors except an entertainer visa. you would need to be hired full time and have a sponsor. Usually this means you need to have had acting experience, a portfolio of work.

Foreign actors usually work on TV commercials, bit parts in movies, voice acting and are handled by one or two talent agencies in Tokyo. Not sure of name but i think ABC is one. do a Google search. Most actors here have regular jobs and do bit parts on the side.
    Most likely you will have to audition for parts. I know Tokyo Foreign players who put on theatrical productions but they are strictly amateur. All actors are volunteers.

Comment

Thanks.

In fact, the entertainment career in my country is very small (several acting firms for primary native in my region and no acting firm for our race).
      I have potential (A top model look, fair skin), but situation at my region is not favour toward me (when I say this, it also means the talent agencies in my country cannot give me opportunity to grow because of the industry size and acceptance; race issue).
      ). So, I have to leave my country for the sake of my career.

Wondering, how can I find a sponsor (talent agency) before I go there? Or, I travel there with tourist visa and get them hire me?
      Or any other suggestion?

Please guide me as I don't want to waste the gift that god gave me. Thanks ^.^

Comment

I'm no expert but I have read some articles about getting acting work. For TV work its based on client needs, if they need a four foot female pygmy they will look for one. some tV programs hire foreigners to talk about their countries, eg cool Japan has people from Egypt, Australia. Malaysia, China and Brazil. Japan is in many ways a racist country. They prefer whites to teach English while they don't want Asian Americans so much. It wont be because of race they dont want you but because you are not what client is looking for. Looks is only one part of it. Do you fit their needs? They will want certain races and ethnic groups for one ad and not for another.

Be advised that its a shark pit here and people get ripped off. Not paid for months or not at all. Being made to do humiliating things. Being dic-ked around.

http://ugnayan.multiply.com/reviews/item/38
        Last edited by KansaiBen; 2011-11-29, 11:24 PM.

Comment

I mean my country is not accepting me (Most series are made of their own races, rarely even see 1 foreigner), not Japan. There are a few series made of foreigners (the production is not more than 5 per year).

I am certain that my potential will be awared by japanese which I do not have any doubt.

Just the matter of how hiring is made up and a visa is granted?

Hope people at here can help.

Thanks ^.^

Comment

I mean my country is not accepting me (Most series are made of their own races, rarely even see 1 foreigner), not Japan. There are a few series made of foreigners (the production is not more than 5 per year).

I am certain that my potential will be awared by japanese which I do not have any doubt.

Just the matter of how hiring is made up and a visa is granted?

Hope people at here can help.

Thanks ^.^
            Do what most people do, contact agencies, show them your portfolio and knock on doors. No one is going to hand you a job on a plate, you have to go out and prospect. Just on google alone I found half a dozen names of agencies.

They can only sponsor a visa if they want you full time and no one on this forum can answer that for you. As I mentioned most actors are part time and very few make a full time career out of it.

Comment

You're either a troll or a tool lol!

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                Do what most people do, contact agencies, show them your portfolio and knock on doors. No one is going to hand you a job on a plate, you have to go out and prospect. Just on google alone I found half a dozen names of agencies.

They can only sponsor a visa if they want you full time and no one on this forum can answer that for you. As I mentioned most actors are part time and very few make a full time career out of it.
                Thanks. I get the meaning now. Your information might seems to be simple, but it is a sufficient and good one.

^.^

Comment

Thanks. I get the meaning now. Your information might seems to be simple, but it is a sufficient and good one.

^.^
                  It is simple you shouldnt expect people to do all the legwork for you, especially now you have the Internet, google and email.
                  I'm only going on hearsay and what I read and people operate in a different universe here. By definition foreigners are different and though some companies may play the race card they can do that because they are 98% in the majority and there are no laws against discrimination. If someone says they dont want you because you have dark skin or look Mexican there is not a hell of a lot you can do about it. They can not create jobs for you out of thin air and there are 20 other guys they are willing to interview. There isnt as much PC here as there is in the US.

People have to like your "look" or photos etc, but only you can put it out there and market yourself. No one is going to hold your hand here or babysit you.

Comment

Acting Related Job?

All the world 's a stage, babe.

Comment

One of my standard answers is that it is usually MORE DIFFICULT for a foreigner to find a job in Japan as compared to one's home country, with the exception of english conversation teachers.

Some things have been said already, but
                      + 99 % of all 'acting' jobs require native Japanese. Jobs for foreigners come only up rarely. Also you did not mention your past experience
                      + you have better chances with modeling, but chances are not guaranteed. You would need to be extremely good/lucky to make a living that way.

+ if you're a girl you might consider hostess bars (check metropolis.co.jp)

+ sometimes, related jobs come up. Disneyland Tokyo is regularly hiring foreigners, especially if they can do some kind of performance (juggling, dancing, singing), production companies for musicals, etc.

Comment

You're either a troll or a tool lol!

No, just pure self-love and supreme confidence!

Comment

[QUOTE]
                          QUOTE]

I have exactly the same problem. I'm just too afraid to unwrap the gift.

Comment

... Please guide me as I don't want to waste the gift that god gave me. Thanks ^.^
                            Ah - you mean you didn't come from horny parents like the rest of us?

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                              I'm no expert but I have read some articles about getting acting work. For TV work its based on client needs, if they need a four foot female pygmy they will look for one. some tV programs hire foreigners to talk about their countries, eg cool Japan has people from Egypt, Australia. Malaysia, China and Brazil. Japan is in many ways a racist country. They prefer whites to teach English while they don't want Asian Americans so much. It wont be because of race they dont want you but because you are not what client is looking for. Looks is only one part of it. Do you fit their needs? They will want certain races and ethnic groups for one ad and not for another.

Be advised that its a shark pit here and people get ripped off. Not paid for months or not at all. Being made to do humiliating things. Being dic-ked around.

http://ugnayan.multiply.com/reviews/item/38
                              Your link included an interview with Motoko INAGAWA - a woman who apparently has a notorious reputation for ripping-off foreign talent; her firm exploits the semi-transient nature of foreigners by screwing them on their pay. And the one name sticks out like a sore thumb in this regard is Inagawa Motoko Office. Here is a Japan Times article that outlines the issues: http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0100629f2.html

And, here's another account of someone's experience with Inagawa:
                              http://www.japanatron.com/japan/show...-talent-agency

One agency that was supposedly founded by former Inagawa employees fed up with unethical practices is called Avocado http://www.avocado.co.jp/ and located in Harajuku.

A list of similar 'more reputable' agencies here: http://goo.gl/HBNyK and here: http://www.mondaiji.com/en/blog/japa...gners-in-tokyo

Also, worth reading:

Extra For a Day: http://www.mondaiji.com/en/blog/japa...iz/1005-extras
                              Getting Started in Japan's Show Biz: http://www.mondaiji.com/en/blog/japa...apans-show-biz
                              Q & A About the Japanese Entertainment Industry: http://www.mondaiji.com/en/blog/japa...nment-industry
                              Why Japanese TV Sucks: http://www.mondaiji.com/en/blog/japa...anese-tv-sucks
                              Last edited by NorthByNorthwest; 2011-12-02, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X