Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Ideas for Short-term work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for Short-term work

My sister is coming to visit me for a couple weeks next month (on a tourist visa). She's been on this kick lately where she travels to random countries, works for a bit, then moves on. She said that if she could find a way to support herself, or at least cover a little bit of her expenses she would stay longer, so I'm wondering, is there any kind of work she could do while she is here? She's 25, very friendly, and would do pretty much anything. Unfortunately she doesn't speak any Japanese..

note: I understand that anything done on a tourist visa is technically a no-no but... I feel like there must be a way for her to make a few bucks while she's here.

Thanks

Originally posted by erikirby View Post
    note: I understand that anything done on a tourist visa is technically a no-no but... I feel like there must be a way for her to make a few bucks while she's here.

Thanks
    No its not a no-no, its illegal, and I cant see anyone hiring anyone without a valid visa and who cant speak Japanese. How does she expect to get paid by the way?

Comment

This is the reason they invented the working holiday visa. Get one of those

Comment

Originally posted by ericson View Post
        This is the reason they invented the working holiday visa. Get one of those
        we'll just send all the unemployed and NEETs in Japan to go on tourist visas and work under the table in her country.

Comment

My sister is coming to visit me for a couple weeks next month (on a tourist visa). She's been on this kick lately where she travels to random countries, works for a bit, then moves on.
          With the law on her tail? JK
          As KB tried to emphasize, don't do it.

She's 25, very friendly, and would do pretty much anything.
          Even more dangerous a thought... nawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Comment

My sister is coming to visit me for a couple weeks next month (on a tourist visa). She's been on this kick lately where she travels to random countries, works for a bit, then moves on. ....
            ... like some kind of international call girl???

Comment

Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
              ... like some kind of international call girl???
              Hey meester... you wanna meet my seester?

Comment

the worlds greatest scam

Thanks
                Why doesn't she do what most women do for money?.... get married.

Comment

Ideas for Short-term work

Get visa stamped by KB . Buy a dozen eggs , go to Wakayama hot spring , boil eggs , soy to season , sell onsen tamago to tourists .

Comment

Originally posted by Glenski View Post
                    With the law on her tail? JK
                    As KB tried to emphasize, don't do it.

Even more dangerous a thought... nawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
                    Haha, okay after rereading my post I see how it sounds really sketch... What I meant was I know some people who do private English teaching on a tourist visa, and someone who does bar tending on a humanities visa... So something to that nature. I'm all about following the rules, but she was just saying that in Australia it's the norm for employers to offer travelers technically "illegal" work as a waiter/waitress during the busy seasons. She was just wondering there was a similar atmosphere here or if everyone was actually really strict about hiring.

Comment

A quick search on the Internets reveals that engrish conversation lounges or cafes pay anywhere between Y1,000 to Y2,500 per hour and are generally pretty lax about visas. http://snoflek.blogspot.jp/2009/09/h...t-leafcup.html

Comment

Haha, okay after rereading my post I see how it sounds really sketch... What I meant was I know some people who do private English teaching on a tourist visa, and someone who does bar tending on a humanities visa... So something to that nature. I'm all about following the rules, but she was just saying that in Australia it's the norm for employers to offer travelers technically "illegal" work as a waiter/waitress during the busy seasons. She was just wondering there was a similar atmosphere here or if everyone was actually really strict about hiring.
                        Bar tending on a Humanities visa is possible if you have permission to do activities outside your visa status.

Private teaching on a tourist visa is technically possible as the students pay you directly but most companies that introduce you to students to teach at coffee shops may ask for a copy of your visa as part of the hiring process. Sites like Findateacher--net she may be able to find students on her own.

Not to state the obvious, but this is not Australia and employers here may not look so kindly to hiring illegals under the table. Not only that, you can work for 90-days have the employer lay you off and then pretend they dont know you when it comes to getting your pay. The police or unions will not help you if you have a complaint against an employer who refuses to pay wages.

I would imagine if she can not speak any Japanese, nor communicate with customers then she may have a hard time finding work outside language teaching. "Travelers" in Australia are usually at least able to speak English as a minimum hiring requirement. How about your sister?

Comment

Working...
                        X