Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Top

Collapse

Thinking of doing hotdogs in Japan. What are the set up costs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thinking of doing hotdogs in Japan. What are the set up costs?

    Hey guys,

    I read another hot dog thread but it wasn't really helpful in what I want to know.

    Just a little background on me. I have been in Japan for nearly 4 years being an eikaiwa teaching. I am getting married and my visa is nearly up, so I decided to get a marriage visa. If things go to plan I am thinking of doing 1 of 2 things.

    1. Do my own Eikaiwa business. I only have about 10k in savings so I was thinking of getting into community centers (free rent) and working in my fiance's hoikuen for at least the first year. It may be rough to get students but this is one option.

    2.Go for a hot dog business. The reason why I am thinking of this is because I reckon there is a market for good American hot dogs and there is not many people doing this. I am also quite sick of teaching English and would love to do something different.

    So getting to the point. How much am I looking to set up a hot dog business? I'm thinking of buying a small van and getting permission somewhere busy to set up. Or would it better to establish in a small shop? Either way, would anyone have an idea of the funds I would need? Also, any other things I need to know, such as needed licences etc. I see a lot of kebab business these days so I don't see why this isn't possible. Any help is appreciated.

  • #2
    Maybe this will help you on your way to starting a hotdog empire: http://tokyo.craigslist.jp/cto/3533181228.html
    Last edited by Sentryofjustice; 2013-01-10, 03:30 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      In my hometown these hotdogs were extremely popular with all the Japanese students who were studying English.

      http://www.japadog.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by GaijinPot View Post
        In my hometown these hotdogs were extremely popular with all the Japanese students who were studying English.

        http://www.japadog.com/
        Looks pretty good, perfect for the op if he can get a franchise going in Japan.

        Japadog could be construed as being a bit culturally insensitive by some though.

        Maybe they should have called it Nipadog?

        Comment


        • #5
          If the prices at Doggy's Diner are any indicator, startup costs are high. IKEA and Costco sell them for like 100 yen though, so who knows, if you get them in bulk.

          When drunk in Roppongi I'd be 10x more likely to buy a hotdog than I would hamburger or kebab.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tokyogoomba View Post
            I see a lot of kebab business these days so I don't see why this isn't possible.
            I see a lot of coffee shops these days and still 80% of them don't make money and the chances to succeed with a coffee shop as a SOHO are less than 5%.
            To conclude that a business could be succesful because there already are a lot of similar businesses is crazy.

            Just take a minute, stop the dreaming and calculate ALL of your costs. Then think about the number of hot dogs you have to sell each day to break even.
            Any idea how many thousand hotdogs you have to sell each month just to pay your salary ?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by zmcnulty View Post
              If the prices at Doggy's Diner are any indicator, startup costs are high. IKEA and Costco sell them for like 100 yen though, so who knows, if you get them in bulk.
              God, those are some unattractive looking hot dogs.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by tokyogoomba View Post
                Hey guys,

                I read another hot dog thread but it wasn't really helpful in what I want to know.

                Just a little background on me. I have been in Japan for nearly 4 years being an eikaiwa teaching. I am getting married and my visa is nearly up, so I decided to get a marriage visa. If things go to plan I am thinking of doing 1 of 2 things.

                1. Do my own Eikaiwa business. I only have about 10k in savings so I was thinking of getting into community centers (free rent) and working in my fiance's hoikuen for at least the first year. It may be rough to get students but this is one option.

                2.Go for a hot dog business. The reason why I am thinking of this is because I reckon there is a market for good American hot dogs and there is not many people doing this. I am also quite sick of teaching English and would love to do something different.

                So getting to the point. How much am I looking to set up a hot dog business? I'm thinking of buying a small van and getting permission somewhere busy to set up. Or would it better to establish in a small shop? Either way, would anyone have an idea of the funds I would need? Also, any other things I need to know, such as needed licences etc. I see a lot of kebab business these days so I don't see why this isn't possible. Any help is appreciated.



                Nathan's failed here. ... And Ikea and Costco already have you beat! You do the math.....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
                  Nathan's failed here. ... And Ikea and Costco already have you beat! You do the math.....
                  Ikea and Costco aren't open at 3 o'clock in the morning when drunks need dogs and they are nowhere near the better watering holes.

                  The op could set up his Japadog stand in front of Club Flower in Roppongi and make a killing, selling his dogs all night.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Let's come up with a name for the place.

                    Buns of Fun?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      パンズリ

                      In English? No idea.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        He could serve kraut dogs and call his place Japakraut.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The van idea could work out depending on location. There's a van that sells Thai lunch sets everyday out in front of a rehabilitation center. Seems to do okay as there is nothing nearby other than a convenient store.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by rubirosa View Post
                            Ikea and Costco aren't open at 3 o'clock in the morning when drunks need dogs and they are nowhere near the better watering holes.

                            The op could set up his Japadog stand in front of Club Flower in Roppongi and make a killing, selling his dogs all night.
                            The real question is "Would he be able to compete with the rotisserie chicken, kebabs, pizza and the other assorted food vendors in the area?"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Rappongi ?????? call the place Dog and Blow! Or Wiener Spew!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X