Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Becoming a sushi chef.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a sushi chef.

Hey guys. Ive never really come around to creating a profile the few years ive been looking at gaijinpot.
    But now I have a question I cant get the answer for myself or find in the forum.

I have been thinking about becoming a sushi chef - I know there is alot a hate on the whole 'im a foreigner who want to do japanese stuff' - please spare me this. (Unless its useful information.)

So my question is. How do I as a foreigner who dont speak Japanese too well (JLPT4) become a sushi chef.

Here in Denmark we have alot of chinese self educated sushi chefs(Danish people seldom know the difference of any asians) and thats not what I have in mind. I would very like to make real sushi or as real as it gets for a foreinger.

Do I have to go through apprenticeship or is there some kind of school?
    Do I have to be a certified chef before I can become a sushi chef?
    If I do find an apprenticeship somewhere, does it have to be in Japan or would a japanese sushi chef in England suffice?

Any information on the topic would help me grately.

Thanks alot, guys.

I doubt these links will do you any good as your Japanese is not up to par but here ya go:

http://www.satsumayahonten.com/kyo____su

http://www.sushiacademy.co.jp/

Comment

If there must be a Japanese restaurant with a chef who is actually Japanese in Denmark then a good starting point would be in talking to him, see if he's got contacts, could take you on as an apprentice to start or whatever?

Comment

Originally posted by sekke View Post
        I have been thinking about becoming a sushi chef -

So my question is. How do I as a foreigner who dont speak Japanese too well (JLPT4) become a sushi chef.

Here in Denmark I would very like to make real sushi or as real as it gets for a foreinger.

Do I have to go through apprenticeship or is there some kind of school?
        Do I have to be a certified chef before I can become a sushi chef?
        If I do find an apprenticeship somewhere, does it have to be in Japan or would a japanese sushi chef in England suffice?
        I can say with my hand on my heart, there is no need to go to a school or be certified as a Sushi chef in Denmark. Is this what you want to do ?
        Attached Files

Comment

I remember reading in one of the papers few years ago about 'express' courses for foreigners. Where a Japanese apprentice has to spend 2 years just washing rice before he's even allowed to touch any half-dead fish, gaijins get to go from apprentice to 'certified' in just one year. But all those people were already experienced chefs working overseas and they weren't allowed to use the certification in Japan. I guess it's like one of those 'Trained by 3-star Michelin chef' things you can often find in the fake-posh restaurants.

Comment

Working...
          X