Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Any analyst jobs hiring from outside of Japan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any analyst jobs hiring from outside of Japan?

I'm finishing up my masters degree in intelligence analysis at an institution in my hometown in the US, but I want nothing more than to return to working in Japan. The vast majority of job listings I've found for analysts, though, are only open to people who already have a working visa and/or are already in Japan.

I am JLPT2-certified and will take the level N1 test this December, but since I'm in the US now most applications are kicking me out in the prescreening phase.

Do you guys know of any companies or groups hiring from outside Japan for research-based and/or analytic positions at the entry level (with graduate school and internship experience)? I could apply my skills anywhere from financial institutions to insurance to the government, but I would need help with my visa.

Originally posted by vsokolova View Post
    I'm finishing up my masters degree in intelligence analysis at an institution in my hometown in the US, but I want nothing more than to return to working in Japan. The vast majority of job listings I've found for analysts, though, are only open to people who already have a working visa and/or are already in Japan.

I am JLPT2-certified and will take the level N1 test this December, but since I'm in the US now most applications are kicking me out in the prescreening phase.

Do you guys know of any companies or groups hiring from outside Japan for research-based and/or analytic positions at the entry level (with graduate school and internship experience)? I could apply my skills anywhere from financial institutions to insurance to the government, but I would need help with my visa.
    a) These conditions are often just there to sort out the riff-raff. If you have worked in Japan before, you could still apply. If you're sure that's the only hurdle, base yourself temporarily in Japan, doing a trip or internship
    b) N1 is much better than N2, but you can only apply with what you have
    c) Many companies have fixed schedules for gradutate hires, e.g at the Boston Career Forum.
    d) No idea what 'intelligence analysis' is and also checking wiki did not make me wiser. So your job is basically to spy on Japan ?

Comment

Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
      a) These conditions are often just there to sort out the riff-raff. If you have worked in Japan before, you could still apply. If you're sure that's the only hurdle, base yourself temporarily in Japan, doing a trip or internship
      b) N1 is much better than N2, but you can only apply with what you have
      c) Many companies have fixed schedules for gradutate hires, e.g at the Boston Career Forum.
      d) No idea what 'intelligence analysis' is and also checking wiki did not make me wiser. So your job is basically to spy on Japan ?
      Goodness gracious, no. Intel analysis is just a process by which we help a decision-maker make a more informed decision. What I've been trained to do has nothing to do with spying, and just involves a lot of research and some probability-style predictions (for example, "it's likely that crooks are going to hit this location next" or "it's likely the competitor will try this feature next"). But since it's mostly research, analytic skills, and project management, it's pretty applicable in various fields.

Thanks for the feedback. I understand that N1 is a requirement for many jobs, and I'm going to go for it. But I can't even get through these automated prescreeners because as soon as the system detects "not currently authorized to work in Japan" I get rejected. I don't suppose a short-term or travel visa would suffice, would it?
      Last edited by vsokolova; 2013-03-15, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Please don't post the same questions in separate forums. It makes it hard to keep up with things. I just replied to your other thread and then noticed this one, where I suddenly noticed you are using a different description of your major (intelligence analysis vs. analysis).

BTW, N1 may NOT be a requirement for "most jobs" in your field. Look at the 2 sites I recommended on the other thread to confirm. You might find that N2 is sufficient for starters.

I can't even get through these automated prescreeners because as soon as the system detects "not currently authorized to work in Japan" I get rejected. I don't suppose a short-term or travel visa would suffice, would it?
        Any idea WHY you are not authorized?

Comment

Originally posted by Glenski View Post
          Please don't post the same questions in separate forums. It makes it hard to keep up with things. I just replied to your other thread and then noticed this one, where I suddenly noticed you are using a different description of your major (intelligence analysis vs. analysis).

BTW, N1 may NOT be a requirement for "most jobs" in your field. Look at the 2 sites I recommended on the other thread to confirm. You might find that N2 is sufficient for starters.

Any idea WHY you are not authorized?
          Sorry. The other post should probably be deleted. I think that my initial description of my area of study might have given the wrong impression (many people associate intelligence with spying, which is incorrect--it involves general skills such as research, pattern-finding, project management, analysis, presenting, and leadership).

I'm not currently authorized because I do not presently hold a working visa for Japan. I would require sponsorship and many companies are not willing to offer that. It's a lot of paperwork, so I can understand their reticence, but that doesn't make it any easier.
          Last edited by vsokolova; 2013-03-24, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vsokolova View Post
            I'm not currently authorized because I do not presently hold a working visa for Japan. I would require sponsorship and many companies are not willing to offer that. It's a lot of paperwork, so I can understand their reticence, but that doesn't make it any easier.
            That is strange. Virtually all foreign companies also employ foreign staff and only a small percentage of those bring their own visas (such as spouse or PR). So companies do know the process and do go through the paperwork.

If this is a dealstopper for you, it means that either
            + you are applying at the wrong companies in the first plance
            + those companies don't want to hire from overseas
            + it is a convenient way for them to tell you off

Comment

Working...
            X