Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Are Gaijin Teaching English in Japan Slackers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hehe. Good one. I actually got a job as a kimono model with mine (yes, poli sci), but that was a long time ago and an economic galaxy away. Mind you, if you get a job at McDonald's and work hard, you get to go to Hamburger University, which is, let's face it, Way Kool. I wonder if that counts as a graduate degree.

Anyways, glad to hear from somebody that is neither a slug nor hates their job. On a serious note, a political science degree is often a good foot in the door for better paid teaching jobs in certain areas like law and business, but up Akita way there probably aren't that many of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylarr View Post
      I see where you might get that opinion, but no, not everyone is a slacker. I wake up at 5:30, go for a run, work 12 hours, get home late, have sex with my husband and then do it all again the next day.
      You make your life seem stark and unpoetic but I truly admire a woman who includes sex as part of her daily routine.

Incidentally, if you begin sexual intercourse within three minutes of returning home your marriage will go the mortal distance, I guarantee it. Genkan sex seven days a week is the secret to my happy union.

Comment

Up in Akita there isn't much of anything. *sigh*
        Kimono model job sounds amazing! Was it as cool as it sounds or more of a trial?
        Hamburger U: What...no wait...you're just kidding me, right? I've never been good with sarcasm.

Comment

Hmm, stark and unpoetic.... Could be true, but watching the sun come up over the mountains while jogging along a peaceful river is pretty nice. As for genkan sex, I'll give it a try, but I think I'd rather tackle him into the neighbouring ˜aŽº instead because our genkan smells like shoes.
          Last edited by Kaylarr; 2013-09-10, 04:33 PM. Reason: word fix

Comment

Up in Akita there isn't much of anything. *sigh*
            Kimono model job sounds amazing! Was it as cool as it sounds or more of a trial?
            Hamburger U: What...no wait...you're just kidding me, right? I've never been good with sarcasm.
            The kimono model job was somewhere beyond silly, but it paid well, and I was 24 and had been in Japan for only a few months, so yeah, it was cool. Did I mention how silly it was?

As for Hamburger University: http://www.aboutmcdonalds.com/mcd/co...niversity.html

I would never joke about hamburgers

I thought Akita quite a lovely city, but as for opportunities in business or law teaching, yeah.....................

BTW, anyone teaching at a university apart from most Westgaters (the university dispatch ALT company) is already beyond the Slacker label, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane View Post
              Hehe. Good one. I actually got a job as a kimono model with mine (yes, poli sci), but that was a long time ago and an economic galaxy away.
              My GP image of you in a kimono certainly doesn't sound far-fetched to me. The inclusion of the word "model" had me guessing, ...naturally.

Given your age, I am guessing only long sleeved kimonos for you.

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                The kimono model job was somewhere beyond silly, but it paid well, and I was 24 and had been in Japan for only a few months, so yeah, it was cool. Did I mention how silly it was?

As for Hamburger University: http://www.aboutmcdonalds.com/mcd/co...niversity.html

I would never joke about hamburgers

I thought Akita quite a lovely city, but as for opportunities in business or law teaching, yeah.....................

BTW, anyone teaching at a university apart from most Westgaters (the university dispatch ALT company) is already beyond the Slacker label, IMO.
                I love kimono. They don't love me back since I look rediculous in them being rather chesty, but I think they are incomparably lovely. I have a small collection of them at home, so I am very envious of your modelling job!

I'm just going to pretend that I never heard about hamburger university. *Mind wipe* Being so fond of burgers, I'm guessing you are a fan of MOS? I ‘åD‚« MOS!!!

As for being a slacker, well, I do love video games and I have been known to watch a movie or two at work on slow summer-vacation days. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by iancarvalho87 View Post
                  This is going to be printed and placed on my fridge. I couldn't agree more. Although I have no experience in teaching in Japan, this is valid for everybody in any profession. Hell... you only live once and there will come a time when the company you work for will say what a great guy you were, what a great employee you were, yada yada and kick you out the door. Enrich your life and work only to live, not vice-versa.
                  It could be I'm just a slacker! I don't think most of what we do matters in the big picture, in all honesty. So whether you work overtime or you work your set hours, realistically there is probably very little difference other than quality of life. Because company employees are disposable, I really have no loyalty to any company I work for. I work to the standards that will make me look good without driving me insane in the process, and usually it is mutually beneficial for the company.

On a small scale, sometimes the most pointless things make the biggest impact. I didn't have any interest in Japan before I met a girl in school for a few weeks that was crazy about the place. At first I was didn't give it the time of day, but I remember coming across a program on TV and recalling the things she'd said, I got interested myself. Fast forward to visiting, finding a husband, and settling down. I don't even remember her name, and couldn't recognize her on the street now.

After I left my part-time summer job to make the permanent move here after university, I got a note from a former supervisor that said she was so amazed at me moving overseas to pursue my dreams that it motivated her to quit her position and go back to school to do what she really wanted to do. I can't even remember having more than three conversations with this supervisor.

Perhaps all this time teaching English in Japan is useless other than to make ends meet and personal vanity, but maybe the small time I spent with one kid might motivate them to better themselves, and if so, I'm good with that.

I love kimono. They don't love me back since I look rediculous in them being rather chesty, but I think they are incomparably lovely. I have a small collection of them at home, so I am very envious of your modelling job!

I'm just going to pretend that I never heard about hamburger university. *Mind wipe* Being so fond of burgers, I'm guessing you are a fan of MOS? I ‘åD‚« MOS!!!

As for being a slacker, well, I do love video games and I have been known to watch a movie or two at work on slow summer-vacation days. ;-)
                  MOS Burger is pretty blah. I don't know a lot of foreigners who enjoy eating there. Have you had Freshness Burger? I think it's the only chain worth a few yen here.
                  Last edited by mizutama; 2013-09-11, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Mmmmmmmm chesty freshness kimono burger

Comment

Originally posted by mizutama View Post
                      It could be I'm just a slacker! I don't think most of what we do matters in the big picture, in all honesty. So whether you work overtime or you work your set hours, realistically there is probably very little difference other than quality of life. Because company employees are disposable, I really have no loyalty to any company I work for. I work to the standards that will make me look good without driving me insane in the process, and usually it is mutually beneficial for the company.

On a small scale, sometimes the most pointless things make the biggest impact. I didn't have any interest in Japan before I met a girl in school for a few weeks that was crazy about the place. At first I was didn't give it the time of day, but I remember coming across a program on TV and recalling the things she'd said, I got interested myself. Fast forward to visiting, finding a husband, and settling down. I don't even remember her name, and couldn't recognize her on the street now.

After I left my part-time summer job to make the permanent move here after university, I got a note from a former supervisor that said she was so amazed at me moving overseas to pursue my dreams that it motivated her to quit her position and go back to school to do what she really wanted to do. I can't even remember having more than three conversations with this supervisor.

Perhaps all this time teaching English in Japan is useless other than to make ends meet and personal vanity, but maybe the small time I spent with one kid might motivate them to better themselves, and if so, I'm good with that.

MOS Burger is pretty blah. I don't know a lot of foreigners who enjoy eating there. Have you had Freshness Burger? I think it's the only chain worth a few yen here.
                      I've heard people raving about Freshness, but I've never had one. Never lived in a place that had a branch and whenever I'm in Tokyo the only burger I want is a whopper. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by mizutama View Post
                        MOS burger was my favorite for years, but they've dropped in quality in the past 5-6 years. Still good though.

Comment

I thought I looked ridiculous in them too, but it paid tons au moola, so I swallowed my pride. I just don't have the body type for it unless it's custom made. Even longer ones look like knee length bathrobes on me. I also avoid Yukata.

Most white people just aren't built for that style, even in one that fits properly.

I've heard people raving about Freshness, but I've never had one. Never lived in a place that had a branch and whenever I'm in Tokyo the only burger I want is a whopper. ;-)
                          I would have to vote for Freshness Burger over MOS. It is the closest thing to a good juicy/greasy diner burger I have ever found in Japan. I like MOS too, but I find a lot of their sauces and variations on the basic cheeseburger a bit cloying. I really like their fried chicken and hot dogs, though.

PS Hamburger University. I'm Lovin' It.

Comment

Working...
                          X