Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Dealing with Obnoxious foreign co-workers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mizutama View Post
    Now these types of co-workers I've had to deal with. I can't stand foreign teachers who know the secretary or office lady is working just as hard and only getting half the paycheck, but still ask them to do material prep and other inane requests like that. Don't want to laminate a bunch of flashcards? Instead of delegating it to the secretary, plan a lesson that doesn't include laminating a crapton of flashcards. Or if you just can't help it sometimes, at least have the decency to take them out to lunch or bring them a coffee/snack to show you appreciate their help.
    A-holes! I guess I have been lucky to never meet that sort. My co-workers have, luckily, always been kind and thoughtful to the staff.
    Last edited by Kaylarr; 2013-09-13, 08:08 AM. Reason: missing comma

Comment

Originally posted by mizutama View Post
      Now these types of co-workers I've had to deal with. I can't stand foreign teachers who know the secretary or office lady is working just as hard and only getting half the paycheck, but still ask them to do material prep and other inane requests like that. Don't want to laminate a bunch of flashcards? Instead of delegating it to the secretary, plan a lesson that doesn't include laminating a crapton of flashcards. Or if you just can't help it sometimes, at least have the decency to take them out to lunch or bring them a coffee/snack to show you appreciate their help.
      I was at a reasearch institute, so the requests and favours varied in type, but yeah to all that. Plus, as with the OP's problem boy, more than a few too many were disgustingly strident and demanding, and often downright discourteous given my age and position. I found the Japanese faculty and staff's Shou ga nai attitude to be both self-destructive and horribly patronising (I am talking specifically about Third Worlders here). Most of us non-Japanese were perfectly capable of figuring things out and doing it ourselves, First World or otherwise. The dependency junkies were usually lower ranked grad students and researchers on charity development funding who simply couldn't get over the leech habit, and often used that help to punch above their weight professionally speaking.

A personal favourite were the ones that would ask to have a CV proofed and edited to help them find another job, often a full time one, even though they were all well funded, explicitly barred from seeking outside employment or income, and supposed to be using that generous funding to focus entirely on their research. I got so good at refusing and evading that the one group of them used to call me the Mean American Guy.

I never bothered correcting them

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylarr View Post
        So then Gentleman Harry, what kind of fine and upstanding posts on this forum do you not troll? Pray tell? Is there some content that measures up to your high, and rigorous standards?

I'll leave you to decide, junior. I've got better things to do. It's my turn to wash the dishes..

Comment

Originally posted by HarryHurry View Post
          I'll leave you to decide, junior. I've got better things to do. It's my turn to wash the dishes..
          and with that = Good Game
          Kaylarr=1, harryhurry=0
          round 2 people!

Comment

Originally posted by NonStopReaper View Post
            Kaylarr=1, harryhurry=0
            round 2 people!
            Yes. HH, shut out from the scoreboard, stormed off the field with the ball under his arm, mumbling 'this is *my* ball and I'm taking it home'.

Comment

I agree KG. I can't figure out who is who anymore, so I just kind of ignore everyone the same now.

Comment

I bet you are a total pussy cat in real life. Can I rub your belly?
                many posters see you for who you are. no need to get descriptive. it's my turn to wipe.

Comment

Originally posted by itabashiku View Post
                  They are pretty good, huh?
                  BTW, did you ever figure out what flavor the dark green 1 was? All my friends said "broccoli" but I think it was definitely spinach.
                  Either cucumber or mold.

Comment

Originally posted by NonStopReaper View Post
                    Kaylarr=1, harryhurry=0
                    round 2 people!
                    You have a wonderful imagination coupled with an inaccurate grasp of the reality....

Comment

I bet you are a total pussy cat in real life. Can I rub your belly?
                      Expect to get bitten and clawed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ludd View Post
                        Either cucumber or mold.
                        Dammit. I never even considered those two.

Comment

Update
                          The problem kind of resolved itself. Dude was supposed to make syllabi for his classes quickly as this was a last minute deal, but he refused and said he was incapable of making so many (i.e. seven) on such short notice so he only made two. The rest of us picked up the slack and made the others.

He was given two blank templates with the class titles, just missing weekly content, as well as a reference syllabus template from last semester for formatting/style. The two syllabi dude produced were a) in English only, b) not in the correct format and...this is priceless...c) one of them was for a class he completely made up. As in, he was supposed to make syllabi for Class A and B. He made syllabi for Class A and C. What is even more odd, is that this Class C of his is a class that doesn't exist at our school, so I have no idea where he pulled that one out of.

I found this out when the head of the department called me into his office, showed me the syllabi, and said...this is an un-embellished translation of his Japanese..."Do you think a person who cannot even follow directions and make a syllabus properly would be a good teacher?" At which point, I concurred demurely that it was very odd that he couldn't do this simple task properly. It appears that dude will probably not be hired after all. I feel sorry for him, but I must say I am relieved.

Comment

Originally posted by edin日本 View Post

Expect to get bitten and clawed.
                            Oh, I do. It's funny because I have an image in my mind of HH and Ozz. HH is a fun guy to hang out with. He takes the ____ out of his buddies and makes sarcastic comments at the TV. Picture an older-looking Robin Williams, but less manic and more cutting. Whereas, Ozz is an angry, scowling face behind a computer who is unhappy with his life. Picture Severus Snape using a desktop.

Comment

Oh, I do. It's funny because I have an image in my mind of HH and Ozz.
                              I think that most readers accept that they are reading the literary remnants of a limited mind.

Ozz is an angry, scowling face behind a computer who is unhappy with his life. Picture Severus Snape using a desktop.
                              If only you really knew...

Comment

Oh, I do. It's funny because I have an image in my mind of HH and Ozz. HH is a fun guy to hang out with. He takes the ____ out of his buddies and makes sarcastic comments at the TV. Picture an older-looking Robin Williams, but less manic and more cutting.
                                I've always considered HH as being a real life version of Mr Bean. Funny at a distance but a nuisance and a pest when viewed from up close.

Whereas, Ozz is an angry, scowling face behind a computer who is unhappy with his life. Picture Severus Snape using a desktop.
                                Nope nope,just can't picture that.

Severus strikes me as the type who'd do something dastardly like sending a remotely controlled Corroding Crud spell at every troll that raised his ire. The downside to that would be 3/4 of the active GP membership would be smoking heaps of tattered rags and mouldering bones parked in front of their computers.

GP as we know it would be out of business within a week.

Comment

Working...
                                X