Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

If it is illegal in Japan to advertise jobs that specify a gender ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Ludd View Post
    Mrs. Ludd kept her status to herself for many years because 'married people always quit'.
    I heard that women quitting their job when they get married is the norm in Japan.

From that point of view I can understand companies, that they don't want to invest into someone who is just counting the days until they can quit to enjoy the easy life.

Comment

Originally posted by TheEngineer View Post
      I heard that women quitting their job when they get married is the norm in Japan.

From that point of view I can understand companies, that they don't want to invest into someone who is just counting the days until they can quit to enjoy the easy life.
      But in this day and age some people can't afford that lifestyle and need two incomes. It shouldn't be assumed that all women fall into the category of quitting work after marriage by potential employers.

Comment

Originally posted by ssj_jup81 View Post
        But in this day and age some people can't afford that lifestyle and need two incomes. It shouldn't be assumed that all women fall into the category of quitting work after marriage by potential employers.
        But the large majority of Japanese women do fall into this category. For employers to ignore it would be fiscal irresponsibility to their company.

Comment

Originally posted by TheEngineer View Post

I know! Companies totally have the right to hire only male workers, who never think work kinda sucks and they'd rather be doing something with more autonomy.

I mean, jeez, economics.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Troll View Post
            and I see an ad from a company doing exactly that, who do I report them to and what action can I expect to be taken against the offending company?
            Gender discrimination is illegal. So is age discrimination, discrimination by nationality, race discrimination and so on. Many, many job ads violate anti-discrimination laws in one way or the other.
            http://www.japaneselawtranslation.go...e=01&vm=&id=10
            http://www.japaneselawtranslation.go...e=01&vm=&id=60

Photos, not illegal, but certainly questionable, since so much can be determined from a picture.
            What to do? Contact the advertiser if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Esoteric View Post

But the large majority of Japanese women do fall into this category. For employers to ignore it would be fiscal irresponsibility to their company.
              Out of curiosity, I wonder what can be done so that the mindset would change even slightly from both sides. Employers can stop making assumptions while women can keep their jobs after marriage.

Comment

Working...
              X