Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Looking for some information about teaching certification and the future of an ALT.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some information about teaching certification and the future of an ALT.

Hello,

Please allow me to introduce myself very briefly: I am 27 years old, have been living in rural Japan for 2 years and have been teaching English to ES and JHS through a dispatch company. I have a Japanese girlfriend who I've been with for a year and a half, but am currently living alone in my own place and surviving with around 20–œ in the bank at most times (just coughed up 16–œ for residential tax). I realize this is not a healthy lifestyle for me and need to make a change and progress my life so that I am at least able to support myself decently to start.

I am interested in becoming a direct hire eventually and will do my best to survive the next year or two before I plan to make my move. This is of course the plan I've deduced up to this point; it can change drastically with a bit more research and thinking, but I can't just sit around making little progress forever. I'm in need of some assistance.

I'm first and foremost interested in obtaining teaching certification. What is my best course of action here?

Also, please offer any other tips and advice you may have. I will be updating the thread with additional information if I'm to receive any replies.

Originally posted by Start View Post

I'm first and foremost interested in obtaining teaching certification. What is my best course of action here?....
    by "here", do you mean on this planet?? the internet?? Japan?? this time line??? this forum???
    by "teaching certification" do you mean for ESL?? do mean as issued by an accredited school in an English speaking country??? by an institution accredited by the Japanese Ministry of Education???

As I type, I am beginning to feel really sorry for the students in your classes...

Comment

Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post

by "here", do you mean on this planet?? the internet?? Japan?? this time line??? this forum???
      by "teaching certification" do you mean for ESL?? do mean as issued by an accredited school in an English speaking country??? by an institution accredited by the Japanese Ministry of Education???

As I type, I am beginning to feel really sorry for the students in your classes...
      I'm sorry. I was under the impression that this was a forum based on Japan. Considering I was misinformed, I am talking about Japan. The meaning of the word "here" was attributed to the current situation I presented.

By teaching certification, I meant a certificate in teaching ESL. As I currently live in Japan as I've mentioned and out in a rural area, I'm wondering what the best course of action for me is. An online course? That is, of course, why I've come to ask for advice here. As for "by an institution accredit by the Japanese Ministry of Education", I am not sure which is why, again, I've come here for advice.

I'll provide any additional information you may need, thanks!

Comment

Living out in the Inaka, your best bet is by doing an online course but make sure it is accepted by the powers to be, before shelling out for it!

Comment

Originally posted by TheHotCondom View Post
          Living out in the Inaka, your best bet is by doing an online course but make sure it is accepted by the powers to be, before shelling out for it!
          Thanks for your response. Would you happen to know any trustworthy companies or a good source to find one at the top of your head? Just using Google, I only get thousands of results and it gets to the point where I'm not sure just who to trust.

Comment

I wanted to post a link, but the continued technical problems of this forum don't let me. Search for the post "Another way to get a Japanese teacher's license' by ninexblue on this forum.

Comment

if you wish to be certified as an instructor to hold a full-time tenured position in a Japanese high school, then you need to attend a University in Japan with a special curriculum in education. Each degree is geared for the topic and year of students you wish to teach. Teachers of English in a high school have to have a certification different from those who wish to teach math to elementary students. I know of no school in Japan that provides Education Major courses and a full curriculum in any language other than Japanese.

if you wish to be certified as an instructor to hold a full-time tenured position in an American high school, then you need to attend a University with a special curriculum in education. Some states will allow you to begin work, as a teacher, after only completing a four-year degree, but they will give you a time limit in which to complete your Master's degree in Education. If you fail to meet that deadline, you are given the boot.

If you can earn a PhD in Linguistics and / or English Language Education... anywhere that is accredited by an accepted educational accrediting organization; then you have a big advantage over most any in securing teaching jobs at Universities in Japan.

other than a four year, six year or eight year program at a University -- THERE IS NO OTHER CERTIFICATION that is worth the paper it is written upon! -- anything ending with -ELTA is a complete and utter waste of time for anyone who has been in the position for two years already, like you..... unless you are a complete tool and have been just jerking off all that time....

those certificate course offer training to those who have not been employed as a teacher. You already have that.

Comment

Originally posted by Start View Post
                Thanks for your response. Would you happen to know any trustworthy companies or a good source to find one at the top of your head? Just using Google, I only get thousands of results and it gets to the point where I'm not sure just who to trust.
                The accredited ones are run by Cambridge and Oxford I think so google something like "CELTA online" or "Oxford Trinity TESOL online" They are the ones you need to work in the UK and are a requirement in Europe in some places. Would be interesting to hear if the Japanese government accredits any ESL course but I don't think it does.

Comment

Thanks for the responses thus far. In case anyone stumbles upon this thread due to interest, I recently heard of someone who experienced Sunderland's TEFL program so that is a trusted source. Another source recommended to me was Open Universities Australia.

I'm still welcoming any advice and otherwise what have you. Anything helps at this point.

Comment

Working...
                  X