Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Teacher black list?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teacher black list?

I was fired from a conservation school. By all means laugh. It was my fault but not reflective of my usual behaviour. Afterwards I stayed on in new accommodation and had new offers that I ultimately declined and I then left. I did some work that I didn't collect the pay for such was the extent of my depression, not that I am looking for sympathy. Said depression and the reason for the sacking lay with something serious that happened shortly before I had to leave for Japan in another country. I wonder if there is a black list that I've heard mentioned that might prevent me from returning to work in Japan should I choose to? I am sure I'll be attacked for this post and some may even know my identify but any idea would be appreciated.

A conservation school? What did you do? Turn all the thermostats up/down?

Anyway, I don't believe there is a really a blacklist. Companies may maintain records and may quietly share information with other companies but that's about it. What did you do? Obviously not serious enough to get you deported or prevent other offers.

Comment

Miss work. Incredibly shameful and something I've never done before.

Comment

You threw a sickie? Well it's happened before and it will happen again no doubt. Don't worry about it.

Comment

You could say that. Anyway fired.

Comment

You missed work in another country, and your Japanese employer somehow learned of it and fired you? It sounds like some relevant detail is missing.

Comment

Happened a few times

Comment

There's no such black list. You are being unreasonably hard on yourself - everyone makes mistakes. Don't worry, be happy and give a great impression at your next interview!

Comment

try greenpeace

Comment

I've been paranoid about a black list before but when I calmed down I realised I just made a spelling mistake in my cv or they didn't appreciate me rocking up to the interview 5 minutes late. I did see an article about an unofficial black list but it sounded more like a couple of manager guys who are probably friends. Also, it ended advising gaijin to be good because many end up "drinking themselves to death" or something like that. Ill post it if I can find it

Comment

There isn't a blacklist but what is generally known as 'asking for references', usually something along these lines:
                      1. Teacher gets fired from School A for whatever reason
                      2. Teacher applies to School B for a job
                      3. Teacher writes on CV/resume that they worked for School A or; in the interview School B asks what were you doing in Japan until now? Either way School B finds out about School A
                      4. School B calls School A for a reference, gets the low down on Teacher, makes a decision based on that information.

It will very much depend on how efficient/bothered/desperate School B is for a new teacher as to whether they will do #4. The more schools get burnt when hiring, the more they will do #4, so if you have been fired then applying to a big chain like Berlitz will be trickier than applying to a mom & pop school as Berlitz will have been burnt plenty in the past and so will check your background. Mom & pop school can be swayed with a winning smile...

Sometimes it's better to fess up in the interview that you worked for School A and left under something of a cloud, so getting your side of the story in first, but sometimes not.

Comment

Um, when you are worried about your chances of getting a new eikaiwa job, it's time for some reflection (unless you are in the boondocks c).

Comment

Everybody has been fired at one time or the other ! "Fired= you really facked up, Terminated = you and the school/comany facked up, It is all just semantics and terminology and just means = you have no job, so you have to improve your self and your performance in the next one !

Comment

Originally posted by Harp View Post
                            There isn't a blacklist but what is generally known as 'asking for references', usually something along these lines:
                            1. Teacher gets fired from School A for whatever reason
                            2. Teacher applies to School B for a job
                            3. Teacher writes on CV/resume that they worked for School A or; in the interview School B asks what were you doing in Japan until now? Either way School B finds out about School A
                            4. School B calls School A for a reference, gets the low down on Teacher, makes a decision based on that information..
                            Often. people will no make that call, especially if some years have passed and nobody will remember you anyway. But it will also depend on 'how suspicious' the CV looks. Leaving after 2 years and 2 months is fine, but leaving after 2-3 months will raise some flags - either the person was fired or is someone who is not reliable.

Comment

I thought it's something more serious like falsification of documents or stealing. Or dating a student. Missing work is common so genki da____e..:-)

Comment

Working...
                              X