Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

How hard would it be for me to get a teaching job?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard would it be for me to get a teaching job?

I am half Japanese, half Chinese, born in America, and I have Japanese Citizenship.
    I am fine with renouncing my American Citizenship.

I'm fluent speaking wise in Japanese (I have been going to Saturday Japanese school since I could walk), but my writing and reading is not "professional" level.

I was interested in seeing the possibility of becoming a English teacher in Japan, but I heard from some friends that schools tend to hire gaijins, because they feel it's more "authentic" english because they are gaijin. Seeing that I am Asian, I want to ask you guys if this is true?

After High school, I am planning to go to Tokyo and study abroad to improve my Japanese. Will my Japanese be sufficient after several years of studying writing/reading?

Comment

Being a Japanese citizen, why do you want to teach English for? Brush up your Japanese language skills and doors are opened for you, throw in Chinese and the world is your oyster !

Comment

Originally posted by TheHotCondom View Post
        why do you want to teach English for?!
        To teach dopes like you to write a sentence

Comment

Kiss my ass ! You ptomaine selling wan-ker! There a perfect sentence for you, you loser pig !

Comment

Originally posted by TheHotCondom View Post
            Kiss my ass ! You ptomaine selling wan-ker! There a perfect sentence for you, you loser pig !
            give yourself another illuminated tile

Comment

You could teach, but because you speak Japanese there are other opportunities you could do as well- even if you aren't "professional level." The being said, if you are really serious about living here, you should try to improve your skills in the language.

Is teaching what you really want to do with your life?

Comment

Where dfo you want to teach ? In language schools (eikaiwa) ? In Japanese schools ? In international schools ? Is this your long-term carreer path till retirement or do you just want to do this for a couple of years and then move on ?

Comment

I'm not sure to be honest. I was just looking at teaching as one of my possible career opportunities, I'm totally fine with working as a teacher and retiring as one.

Comment

You are aware that Eikaiwa's virtually take everybody who has a valid visa, which in turn means that your long-term career options (including pay) are rather limited, unless your long-term goal is to open your own school. If you really think about this a 'career' till retirement, you should get a proper licencse (US or Japanese) to teach students at regular schools, not just English conversation or as an "assistant" teacher.

Comment

You are aware that Eikaiwa's virtually take everybody who has a valid visa, which in turn means that your long-term career options (including pay) are rather limited, unless your long-term goal is to open your own school. If you really think about this a 'career' till retirement, you should get a proper licencse (US or Japanese) to teach students at regular schools, not just English conversation or as an "assistant" teacher.

Comment

Working...
                      X