Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Berlitz Bomb! Considering Other ALT Companies...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berlitz Bomb! Considering Other ALT Companies...

I recently applied for Berlitz in Tokyo, Japan and I just received the dreaded "positions with our company are limited, and very competitive. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you an interview." e-mail. I'd really like to work for Berlitz, and I was wondering if anybody has an idea on the time frame from which they usually start applying for jobs next year. I keep checking the website for information, but if anybody with experience working for Berlitz can give me a rough idea, I'd really appreciate it.

I'm also doing my research and applying for other prime candidates like Interac and Geos, but I've read on the forums that they can be a bit iffy, and Berlitz is clearly the better ALT company. From what I understand Interac and Geos are pretty decent companies from checking the websites and reading the forums. Is anybody out there who has worked, or is working for either of these companies now? What's the day to day experience like, major gripes, and any thing else? I have a good idea, but any additional information would be really helpful in deciding.

Thanks, everybody!

Originally posted by jcor416
    I've read on the forums that they can be a bit iffy, and Berlitz is clearly the better ALT company.
    Thanks, everybody!
    I didn't know Berlitz was an ALT company?

Comment

[QUOTE=jcor416]I have a good idea, but any additional information would be really helpful in deciding.QUOTE]

I have a good idea, too.

Why don't you "research" superNOVA?

Comment

I didn't know Berlitz supplied ALTs either.. but then again I guess they could considering Nova did, in a sense.

Do you want to work as an ALT or as an instructor in an eikaiwa (conversational English school)?

Other than JET, I don't know of any ALT companies that hire from outside of Japan. The JET Programme probably has the best reputation when it comes to ALT companies... have you looked in it?

Comment

Originally posted by g-raff
          I didn't know Berlitz supplied ALTs either.. but then again I guess they could considering Nova did, in a sense.

Do you want to work as an ALT or as an instructor in an eikaiwa (conversational English school)?

Other than JET, I don't know of any ALT companies that hire from outside of Japan. The JET Programme probably has the best reputation when it comes to ALT companies... have you looked in it?
          Yeah, Berlitz supplies ALT-type teachers. A lot of companies do.

No, JET isn't that good of a deal (unless you like working out in the sticks and not doing real teaching). You're more likely to make more money and be a real language teacher in an eikaiwa / language school in Tokyo.

It's sad to see one aspiring to be a Berlitz teacher. It's truly a crap company to work for.

Don't be so disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimokitazawa
            You're more likely to make more money and be a real language teacher in an eikaiwa / language school in Tokyo.
            I had to read that twice, I've never seen "real language teacher" and "eikaiwa" used in the same sentence.

Comment

Ber____z does anything for money.....ANYTHING.......Except hire new_daves....

Comment

I recently applied for Berlitz in Tokyo, Japan and I just received the dreaded "positions with our company are limited, and very competitive. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you an interview." e-mail. I'd really like to work for Berlitz, and I was wondering if anybody has an idea on the time frame from which they usually start applying for jobs next year. I keep checking the website for information, but if anybody with experience working for Berlitz can give me a rough idea, I'd really appreciate it.
                From what I've heard you'll need to wait until Berlitz recruiting has filtered through their current applicants. Try again in late January or early Febuary.

I'm also doing my research and applying for other prime candidates like Interac and Geos, but I've read on the forums that they can be a bit iffy, and Berlitz is clearly the better ALT company. From what I understand Interac and Geos are pretty decent companies from checking the websites and reading the forums. Is anybody out there who has worked, or is working for either of these companies now? What's the day to day experience like, major gripes, and any thing else? I have a good idea, but any additional information would be really helpful in deciding.

Thanks, everybody!
                Berlitz isn't an ALT company like Interac. You can work in a Public School sometimes...but not FULL TIME...maybe only once or twice per week. The rest of the time you'll probably be teachin' in the Language Center itself.

Good Luck with your job search

Comment

Thanks, everybody!

Whatever! I'm on the cover of one of their books, so I'm allowed to gloat?

Comment

Working...
                  X