Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Asia University - Mitaka

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asia University - Mitaka

Curious if anyone can offer any further info I received on a teaching job at Asia University in Tokyo (Mitaka / Musashino City)? All I know about this position right now is that teachers there work about 20 hours per week and make about Y320,000 a month. There's also a term limit on contract renewals but I'm not sure how many contracts can be renewed before they send you out the door.

Is this considered a readsonable job as far as university positions go? how is morale and attitude of staff and teachers, supervisors?

The school is definitely in a good location.

Thanks for any info.

Originally posted by Shimokitazawa
    Curious if anyone can offer any further info I received on a teaching job at Asia University in Tokyo (Mitaka / Musashino City)? All I know about this position right now is that teachers there work about 20 hours per week and make about Y320,000 a month. There's also a term limit on contract renewals but I'm not sure how many contracts can be renewed before they send you out the door.

Is this considered a readsonable job as far as university positions go? how is morale and attitude of staff and teachers, supervisors?

Thanks for any info.

If its a term limited position then you will be turfed out on your arse, when its up, no questions asked. Thats what you agree to when you get hired.

a 'koushi' position is a salaried position, you get the same salry each month, plus bonuses and research grants so worrying about how many classes you teach is missing the point. the average full time gaijin full timer will teach 8-10 90-minute classes a week. More than that and you are being exploited. The average contracted teacher will get three years and if you are lucky will get an extra year.

How many classes a week are you teaching?
    what is the annual salary?
    what are they offering you in fringe benefits?

Stop thinking like an employee and more like a self contracted, self employed educator. You go further that way.

PS wages are usually based on your age and qualifications and work experience for full time positions so 320,000 a month is not likely set in stone. In my experience its on the low side unless you are adding in yearly bonuses (usually another 3 months salary)
    Last edited by KansaiBen; 2008-08-16, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimokitazawa

Thanks for any info.
      I went for an interview there maybe six or seven years ago. The gaijin who interviewed me explained it was a limited contract (I think 5 years) but when he left the room the Japanese that was also interviewing me say not to worry. Everything was case by case. I was only looking to work one day so the gig didn't work but overall I wasn't impressed. Maybe if I didn't have anything else I would have considered it.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. Doesn't sound like this is much of a university teaching position. The salary is not all that competitive but the housing is free. Has anyone seen the teacher housing at Asia University? I'm wondering how clean and new it is.

I have a buddy who teaches only 10 hours a week at a university but makes not quite double the above salary ( he has a PhD).

Seems like this kind of job is something that might be described as being a bit better than a typical eikaiwa job but yet not a bona fide university faculty position in terms of pay or benefits or academic rank progression - you're there no more than a few years and then that's it.

thanks again for the info.
        Last edited by Shimokitazawa; 2008-08-16, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X