Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Applying for a university job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for a university job

Saw an add for university job and would like to apply. They would like university experience and a masters. I have a fake masters degree and fake CELTA certificate from Thailand. I am not sure how to play this I think I stupidly put that I got both in June 1998. And the towns are too far aprt for it to be feasible that I did both together. Do you think if i put 1999 for CELTA on my resume, no one will notice the resume date and the certificate date are different? The certifiacte says 1998.

The fake masters from thailand looks ok, but the fools botched that thing which comes with the certificate, they put the dates not perfectly in the right position so it doesnt look quite right. Would just showing the certificate be sufficient? And if they found that the MA was a fake would they tell my eikaiwa?

If they did I guess I could say it was a miunderstanding. I do have a BA in sociology, but not MA. The main thing is if the this job attempt fails I wont lose my current job.
    Last edited by internetcafe; 2008-12-24, 08:12 PM.

Originally posted by internetcafe View Post
    S my eikaiwa?

If they did I guess I could say it was a miunderstanding. I do have a BA in sociology, but not MA. The main thing is if the this job attempt fails I wont lose my current job.
    any university worth its name that accepts a fake masters degree (and its my honest opinion that they wont and it willl go straight in the trash where it belongs) then you and the university deserve each other.

I hope they give you a class with 80 students and no more than pen and pencil to work with.

Comment

If my fake masters is found out would they contact my eikaiwa and make more problems? Maybe I could just put the Master son my resume and not bother wih the BA. That way i could put it down to a misunderstanding.
      Last edited by internetcafe; 2008-12-24, 08:24 PM.

Comment

How about this in the resume-

Education- 1997 M.A. in Sociology of pig swell
        University of KansaiBen

instead of-

1998 M.A in sociology of pig Swell
        Uni of piggy
        1997 B.A. in Sociology of pigs
        University of Kansaiben

If I only list the highest qualificiation. if i come under fire I can get out of it by saying I made a mistakje and that I only really had a BA not a MA, I typed in the wrong letter. If I put both in it is obvious I am lying and I wont be able to talk myself out of it.

Lastly, if the uni finds out I dont have a masters, will they contact my eikaiwa and try to fire me there?

Comment

Originally posted by internetcafe View Post
          Lastly, if the uni finds out I dont have a masters, will they contact my eikaiwa and try to fire me there?
          If you are a dispatch teacher they can get rid of you at any time and ask the school to send another teacher instead of you. You are not a university employee and having a fake degree simply shows you are dishonest.

Usually the employer will ask why you are being dismissed however.

Lying on a resume is a fireable offense at any rate.
          Last edited by KansaiBen; 2008-12-17, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
            If you are a dispatch teacher they can get rid of you at any time and ask the school to send another teacher instead of you. You are not a university employee and having a fake degree simply shows you are dishonest.

Usually the employer will ask why you are being dismissed however.

Lying on a resume is a fireable offense at any rate.
            Dude, it's a troll.

Don't bite.

Comment

Originally posted by Thebunnyhauntsme View Post
              Dude, it's a troll.

Don't bite.

No he is serious. So if he did get rumbled for not having a Masters would he lose his eikaiwa job? Just curious.

Comment

Faking one's credentials to get a visa could be serious business to immigration. Losing the job is just one thing to worry about. Problems with immigration is another.

Comment

Originally posted by shipment View Post
                  No he is serious. So if he did get rumbled for not having a Masters would he lose his eikaiwa job? Just curious.
                  a university cant fire someone who is not directly employed by them- that decision rests with the company who pays the employees salary i.e the conversation school.

They can ask the eikaiwa to replace him with another (qualified) teacher but can't (and probably wont) ask the school to can the teacher.

All of these problems would be solved if the employee was qualified in the first place rather than mitigating and justifying his own lack of qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenski View Post
                    Faking one's credentials to get a visa could be serious business to immigration. Losing the job is just one thing to worry about. Problems with immigration is another.
                    Yeah, but, if the OP is not a troll (which I still doubt), then they have a BA, so there is no hassle with the visa.

I doubt they'd lose their job at all. If this situation were genuine, then, as a dispatch worker, they'd be unpopular and may not get a contract renewal, but probably wouldn't be fired on the spot.

Of course, working directly at a university, they may get caught. What is more likely, of course, is that the university either won't check or won't care too much until the day they need to thin out the herd due to falling student numbers or something, and then it will be the excuse used to get rid of the teacher. In a way, having a fake degree might even make it a little easier to get employed, as the institution would know that they can get rid of them at any time with no hassles or argument if they need to. For example, they could fire them in January after completing courses and save the Feb/March salary.

Sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by Thebunnyhauntsme View Post
                      Yeah, but, if the OP is not a troll (which I still doubt), then they have a BA, so there is no hassle with the visa.
                      Lie about any part of your credentials, bunny, and it's grounds. Doesn't matter if he has minimal qualifications for the visa.

I doubt they'd lose their job at all.
                      Does the OP want to take that risk? It's not YOUR job on the line.

Comment

I doubt any school would attempt to inform the immigration but by the same token I doubt the OP will fool many universities.

In my experience committees doing the hiring often looks closely at the paperwork submitted and a copy of a dodgy diploma with a noticeable error won't pass.

Comment

I applied for a job in a translation company. They accepted me and put me on file. When they need my language, they will call me.

So far, I discovered they have called my university to check.

The faked degrees worked fine 10-15 years ago. Israeli sold them for Y30,000 down in Osaka.

Good luck with those now.

Besides that, they will interview you. Make sure you don't sound as a fake yourself. They might ask you what you have learned at CELTA, etc. What if they want a transcript? You'll order that from Bangkok?

I mean. It sounds as a very bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken44 View Post
                            I doubt any school would attempt to inform the immigration but by the same token I doubt the OP will fool many universities.

In my experience committees doing the hiring often looks closely at the paperwork submitted and a copy of a dodgy diploma with a noticeable error won't pass.
                            Well, quite a few universities now have gaijings in their hiring committee.
                            Just get one with a stick up his/her ___, and you're royally screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by shuinsen View Post
                              So far, I discovered they have called my university to check.
                              Almost fifteen years in the J-university game and to my knowledge I`ve never had anyone contact where I graduated. In fact I`m not sure if such information can be given in the States without my consent.

However, I have been asked a number of times to bring in my original diplomas during the interviewing process. I also have sealed copies of my transcripts but I`ve never been asked to submit them.

Comment

Working...
                              X