Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Age Limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age Limits

Can anyone please tell me the age limit for going to teach in the East, in the various countries. My parents, both 54, with 30 years of teaching experience each are looking to teach somewhere in the East for 5 years (hopefully Japan). Can anyone help?
    Last edited by cathygillmer; 2009-04-04, 10:23 PM. Reason: extra info

Originally posted by cathygillmer View Post
    Can anyone please tell me the age limit for going to teach in the East, in the various countries. My parents, both 54, with 30 years of teaching experience each are looking to teach somewhere in the East for 5 years (hopefully Japan). Can anyone help?
    I know a (university) teacher who is nearly 70 and my old boss is past retirement age. Ageism does occur in Japan though.

Quite a few 'senior' teachers around but at entry level salaries will be the same as some one just out of university. Ability, not agility is what counts for a lot here.

Comment

Depends a lot on what kind of teaching experience/qualifications they have.

If they just want the 'Japan experience' and would be happy to teach eikaiwa for a basic wage, then I'd see no problem at all - there are many many very good little eikaiwa places scattered around, despite the sector's slightly dodgy reputation...

If they'd be after more 'senior' stuff (i.e. uni work) then they'll need the necessary qualifications and, even better, contacts in country.

Comment

If they both are real teachers and have 30 years experience then they should look into some of the private international schools. Some pay well, others pay not so well; but this would be a good option for them if they want to come to any countries in the East. These jobs are not "on tap" but (among all the international schools in Japan) they do have a few openings every year. If they both want to get jobs in the SAME place, it might be hard to find a school that is looking for 2 teachers (in your parents' respective fields) at the same time. There are several international schools in the grater Tokyo/metro area and it would not be unimaginable for them to live together and commute to 2 different schools, though.

Comment

Thanks so much.

Yes they are both real teachers and have post grad degrees. How would they go about contacting the international schools? Just send them CV's? Or is there somewhere specific where they post positions?

Comment

Thats very nice of you to check for your parents. I think Malaysia is a good option too. Warm country :]

Comment

Back at Nova, I can remember seeing a few teachers who were in their 50s. They didn't always fit in with the twentysomething majority crowd, but the older students seemed to like them.

Buddy of mine was teaching in Seoul was teaching at a place that specifically avoided people under 30. They had too many problems with drunk frat boys skipping work and such.

Just two examples here. They can send out their resumes and see what hits they get. Best of luck to them. I, for one, think it is cool that people in that age bracket would be up for a bit of adventure.

Comment

From the ESL Cafe discussion group FAQ sticky:
                http://www.tokyowithkids.com/fyi/int...l_schools.html
                http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/%7Etc9w-b...ul/schools.htm
                These are just lists of links to international schools. Individual sites may or may not have ads and may or may not be in English.
                The following link will take you to a recruiter, which may not be a bad idea for getting introduced to some of the international schools.
                http://www.iss.edu/
                A listing of international schools (real ones, not just schools that put the word international in their name) can be found at http://www.tokyowithkids.com/fyi/int...l_schools.html as mentioned above. Just that little extra tip there about the names.

Comment

Thanks so much guys!! This is all a great help

Comment

Working...
                  X