Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Bitter, jaded, jealous Japanese Teachers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitter, jaded, jealous Japanese Teachers

Anyone out there in teaching notice how depressingly jaded Japanese teachers, staff appear to be? Aside from a few personalities it seems most have miserable, work-centric lives, where they never take an extended holiday, get to know their kids or have any quality time. Then in comes the 'work/life balance gaijin' who DOES have a life outside of school, and does take their holiday entitlements...
    Last edited by federer; 2010-03-08, 07:31 AM.

Is "howing" a word?

It's not just teachers, but, yeah, welcome to Japan. Work is life.

Comment

Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
      Is "howing" a word?

It's not just teachers, but, yeah, welcome to Japan. Work is life.
      hah hah. Not for me. I have cracked the code of the matrix! But I am still surrounded by all these agent smiths. And I would argue that work is life if you let it become so by caving in to masochistic work practices and setting bad precidents.

The challenge isn't so much the work but the fact that you are surrounded by masochistic people. Managing to preserve your sanity and time/ freedom is an artform young grasshopper...

Comment

Brighten up!

C'mon, Sun is rising on a weekend,
        past week was so bad?

Comment

Originally posted by davai.davai View Post
          C'mon, Sun is rising on a weekend,
          past week was so bad?
          Hah hah. We ain't got no sun down here in kyoto. It's all rain till april!
          Last edited by federer; 2010-03-08, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by federer View Post
            Anyone out there in teaching notice how depressingly jaded Japanese teachers, staff appear to be? Aside from a few personalities it seems most have miserable, work-centric lives, where they never take an extended holiday, get to know their kids or have any quality time. Then in comes the 'work/life balance gaijin' who DOES have a life outside of school, and does take their holiday entitlements...

Any stories of jealous/frustrated chumps, I mean J teachers in Japan? I don't remember it being so bad in the past but it could be linked to the general economy and the malaise that J is in at the moment...
            I had a part-timer blow their stack the other day when I suggested that they actually had a choice whether to put in the extra hours or go home. Coming from me, slack adder that probably was too much. I did offer to teach them about time management skills but that only exacerbated the situation. Their point of view is that teachers are either lucky or unlucky as to whether they have to put in the extra time. My point of view is that probably has something to do with their abilities as teachers to create interest and manage their classroom and time management skills for both class and outside class time. Huffing and puffing the teacher delivered the final coup de grace "teaching my subject isn't important". This teacher then did the only thing they could, fall silent, turn to another teacher and ignore me.

Comment

I once suggested to a fellow teacher (J) at my Uni who was complaining about the workload to use some of his vacation days and take a, yep, vacation. His response, "No, I could never do that." Huh? Why not? After the term is over, why not? Nope.

I have noticed that in my years there, not one of my fellow instructors have openly announced they are taking a vacation. I know they do, but unless it's a national holiday, you will never hear it from them. It's always, "business trip" or they are all of a sudden not around for a few days. When I announce that I'm taking a vacation, it's always met with, "Ii na." I'm like, Huh? We have the exact same situation.

But it's really come down to the fact that employers have managed to brow beat their employees into believing it's bad form to take vacations. Modern day serfdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiki View Post
                I had a part-timer blow their stack the other day when I suggested that they actually had a choice whether to put in the extra hours or go home. Coming from me, slack adder that probably was too much. I did offer to teach them about time management skills but that only exacerbated the situation. Their point of view is that teachers are either lucky or unlucky as to whether they have to put in the extra time. My point of view is that probably has something to do with their abilities as teachers to create interest and manage their classroom and time management skills for both class and outside class time. Huffing and puffing the teacher delivered the final coup de grace "teaching my subject isn't important". This teacher then did the only thing they could, fall silent, turn to another teacher and ignore me.
                What is your subject and what is their subject? Why is a part-timer teaching an important subject?

Comment

Originally posted by bishbish View Post
                  What is your subject and what is their subject? Why is a part-timer teaching an important subject?
                  If its English then most Japanese English teachers consider conversation or communication classes taught by foreigners to be 'soft' classes, while those teachers who teach literature, poetry, composition are considered 'hard' classes. If they are about English content but taught in Japanese then it constitutes 'knowledge' while native speakers teaching their own language is considered work for those on the lower food chain. Many Japanese will often choose the 'best' classes for themselves and hand the scraps to the part timers and foreigners.

Comment

Yep, but in the end, there's nothing soft about the money I get--and that's all that matters They can think anything they want.

Comment

Yep, but in the end, there's nothing soft about the money I get--and that's all that matters They can think anything they want.
                      Yep, my thoughts exactly

Comment

Originally posted by Ken44 View Post
                        Yep, my thoughts exactly
                        yo hijinx, nothing hard about your 22-man per month.

Comment

I notice that a lot of them complain because they have no idea about what work can be like outside the school system. They don't know what it is like when you spend most of your time with adults- kids just laugh when you make a mistake, but in a regular job, you have to worry a little.
                          I also noticed that some of them bring the problems on themselves. I worked with a JHS teacher that always said she was busy making materials. She hand made large flashcards for all the vocab in the book. I was sympathetic to her until I was looking through the storage room and found- You guessed it- an entire unused set of flashcards for all the vocab in the book.
                          When I told her about them, she said, "I write the words bigger so the kids in the back can see". And the only thing I can think is, "Yes, your letters are 12cm high, not 11cm, like the publisher's."
                          She meant well, but I suspect that she just liked getting from high sniffing the fumes from the permanent markers.
                          Last edited by nynapaj; 2010-03-06, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by federer View Post
                            yo hijinx, nothing hard about your 22-man per month.
                            I wouldn't stay in Japan for that.

Comment

I wouldn't stay in Japan for that.
                              At least double that.

Comment

Working...
                              X