Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Salaries of Tenured Professors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salaries of Tenured Professors

Hello tenured professors out there,

I'm currently trying to get an idea of what salaries are like for those of you lucky enough to be in a tenured post.

Does salary depend on whether you are married or have children?

Of course I know it depends on the university, but I'm trying to find a range for a 30 year old assistant professor or associate professor.

Cheers!

Originally posted by markwell View Post
    ..... I'm trying to find a range for a 30 year old assistant professor or associate professor.

Cheers!

Come on down to Range City!! Where we have all kinds of ranges for all kinds of folks....!

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&s...w=1659&bih=849

Comment

I'm currently trying to get an idea of what salaries are like for those of you lucky enough to be in a tenured post.

Of course I know it depends on the university, but I'm trying to find a range for a 30 year old assistant professor or associate professor.

Cheers!
      Salaries are based on a number of factors

Private or public universities (pay scales are different for each school)
      academic qualifications- do you have a PhD? are you a "trophy" teacher?
      age/ years since graduation (salary is based on experience and seniority)
      Married teachers may get a housing allowance
      Tenure I will add is usually a 3 year renewable contract until retirement or death, which ever comes first.
      Rank or level of university (public universities tend to be very stingy with salaries)

There used to be a chart listing the top three and bottom three universities in Kansai in each pay scale, maybe Glenski has a link.

Comment

Take these figures for what they are worth. A couple of years old, and limited to Kansai area private universities.

These salaries are total yearly salaries (including bonus). They do not include extra income, such as research and travel funds, entrance exam and other committee fees, allowances for housing and dependents, etc.

30 year old Assistant Professor (sennin), with 1 child.
        rank institution yearly salary
        top 1 Osaka Geijutsu University 8,155,735
        top 2 Kansai University 8,025,190
        top 3 Momoyama Gakuen University 7,983,849
        bottom 1 Kobe Yamate University, JC 5,434,300
        bottom 2 Koysan University 5,287,339
        bottom 3 Hagorama University 5,022,000
        average 6,896,585

35 year old Associate Professor (jokyoju), 1 child.
        top 1 Osaka Geijutsu University 10,300,115
        top 2 Kansai University 9,781,120
        top 3 Osaka Tech, Setsunan University 9,708,245
        bottom 1 Koysan University 6,606,121
        bottom 2 Kobe Yamate University, JC 6,429,288
        bottom 3 Hagorama University 5,989,500
        average 8,395,591

40 year old Associate Professor (jokyoju), 2 children.
        top 1 Osaka Geijutsu University 12,166,245
        top 2 Momoyama Gakuen University 11,131,959
        top 3 Kinki University 11,046,775
        bottom 1 Koysan University 7,312,032
        bottom 2 Kobe Yamate University, JC 7,100,894
        bottom 3 Hagorama University 6,837,000
        average 9,556,035

45 year old Professor (kyoju), 2 children.
        top 1 Osaka Geijutsu University 13,266,260
        top 2 Osaka Tech, Setsunan University 12,543,275
        top 3 Momoyama Gakuen University 12,422,759
        bottom 1 Koysan University 8,339,884
        bottom 2 Hagorama University 7,923,000
        bottom 3 Kobe Yamate University, JC 7,551,182
        average 10,821,292

50 year old Professor (kyoju), 2 children.
        top 1 Osaka Geijutsu University 14,531,370
        top 2 Kinki University 13,641,166
        top 3 Momoyama Gakuen University 13,571,284
        bottom 1 Koysan University 9,155,078
        bottom 2 Hagorama University 8,935,500
        bottom 3 Kobe Yamate University, JC 8,344,348
        average 11,808,221

Comment

Cheers!
          I don`t teach full-time but I`ve spoken with those who do (Tokyo area) and these days anything in the 7-8 million yen range (3-5 year non-renewable contract ) is consider good. Maybe teach 8-10 classes a week.

Contracts which are renewable once are considered gold but unfortunately the renewal option is almost never guaranteed and up to the department.

I should mention the gaijins I`ve spoken with are in their mid-40`s or older.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenski View Post
            Take these figures for what they are worth. A couple of years old, and limited to Kansai area private universities.

These salaries are total yearly salaries (including bonus). They do not include extra income, such as research and travel funds, entrance exam and other committee fees, allowances for housing and dependents, etc.

average 6,896,585

average 8,395,591

average 9,556,035

average 10,821,292

average 11,808,221

Hate Osaka, but, damn, I gotta get over to Osaka Geijutsu University. For 14,531,370, I could learn to tolerate Osaka Ben and no culture to speak of!

OP, I think these are fairly representative of high and low, though I think that now the lows might be a bit high. These days, however, tenure is not offered readily. Many Japanese are also "tokumei" or employed by a contract. So called rural universities tend to pay less. Some nat'l universities still offer housing for next to nothing. Most other universities offer a hosing subsidy. Fwiw, a salary of just over 9,000,000 is worse than a salary close to it becuase that pushes a person into a higher income bracket, ultimately resulting in lower take-home pay.

Comment

Clearly I need to move to Kansai...

The furtiveness about advertising salaries for jobs is one institutional custom in Japan I have never appreciated. As a single, late 30s associate prof at a national uni I get between 8 and 9 million, although I can also get subsidised housing. I realise that the big private unis are the real cash cows.

Comment

Here are some average stats from the US of A...

Comment

Originally posted by Glenski View Post

average 6,896,585

average 8,395,591

average 9,556,035

average 10,821,292

average 11,808,221
                  not bad pay for the old silver top-and goatee beard brigade. the 30-35 year olds is a bit low i think for that age group.

Is this only for pw?

Comment

I would say that overall, salaries are down because of the wonderous BONUS SYSTEM, and new tenured lecturers won't reach that 8-9 million mark from now on. Our uni just had a pay cut and we still are reaching our quota of students (and yes, it:s a biggish urban school). Friend of mine in a bigger school in Tokyo had his bonus slashed 20% and he's an assistant prof.

I would think that lecturers and assistant profs will see lower and lower salaries in years to come--making it a step above eikaiwa (e.g., 4-5 million a year, instead of the standard 6-7).

My only hope is that the "research day" wont become another working day with more classes, because that and weekends are when you can bring in the extra 1 million or so you need to boost your pay up.

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan's nuts View Post
                      I would say that overall, salaries are down because of the wonderous BONUS SYSTEM, and new tenured lecturers won't reach that 8-9 million mark from now on. Our uni just had a pay cut and we still are reaching our quota of students (and yes, it:s a biggish urban school). Friend of mine in a bigger school in Tokyo had his bonus slashed 20% and he's an assistant prof.

I would think that lecturers and assistant profs will see lower and lower salaries in years to come--making it a step above eikaiwa (e.g., 4-5 million a year, instead of the standard 6-7).

My only hope is that the "research day" wont become another working day with more classes, because that and weekends are when you can bring in the extra 1 million or so you need to boost your pay up.
                      I thought bonuses were UP. Last year was a golden year! Champagne on me! - If my missus doesn't spend it first.

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan's nuts View Post
                        I`m not sure how much full-time university salaries will fall in the coming years but I think it`s a given they will.

As one who teaches p/t at J-universities I haven`t noticed much drop in the pay scale but I`m not too choosy. Anything within the 27,000-30,000 range is fine by me. I`m more interested in job stability (if there`s such a thing anymore) and location than pay per koma.

However, I won`t be surprised if within the next ten years 20,000-25,000 per koma becomes the new bench mark or if p/t teachers began to be paid only for classes taught instead of per koma. (With a pay scale between 7000 and 11,000 yen per 90 min. class taught.)
                        Last edited by Ken44; 2011-01-24, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken44 View Post
                          However, I won`t be surprised if within the next ten years 20,000-25,000 per koma becomes the new bench mark or if p/t teachers began to be paid only for classes taught instead of per koma. (With a pay scale between 7000 and 11,000 yen per 90 min. class taught.)
                          Yep, the local public-uni I teach at on research day pays just over 10,000 per class now . You squeeze out all the classes you can obviously--16 and that gives me (with 3 classes their per semester) 480,000 per semester. Not complaining but that is indeed the trend these days it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken44 View Post
                            I`m not sure how much full-time university salaries will fall in the coming years but I think it`s a given they will.

As one who teaches p/t at J-universities I haven`t noticed much drop in the pay scale but I`m not too choosy. Anything within the 27,000-30,000 range is fine by me. I`m more interested in job stability (if there`s such a thing anymore) and location than pay per koma.

Yes, that seems likely. Over here in central Japan, 25,000 per koma is quite normal. We pay our p.t. staff a net of 10,000 per class and no pay for classes not taught (in Feb, Mar, Aug, Sep). We are paid slightly more than the Kanto avg., but our research budgets and offices are acceptable. We cannot teach elsewhere

Many nat'l univ. are semi-autonomous so can set their pay scales, but some still use the civil servants' pay scale. Once civil servants receive a pay cut, no doubt the univ. will follow. My friend at one nat'l univ had his bonus cut and his research budget is now miniscule. Otoh, he does get to have long vacations which I never get.

Here, the powers that be seek to hire lecturers or assistant profs. There is also an age requirement in place in order to become a full prof and I suspect that this is to limit the total amount of remuneration. As we are always fighting to keep our numbers, performance in the classroom is carefully measured, plus there is a peer review "tribunal."

Jake: the pay scale is for all teaching staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
                              Yes, that seems likely. Over here in central Japan, 25,000 per koma is quite normal. We pay our p.t. staff a net of 10,000 per class and no pay for classes not taught (in Feb, Mar, Aug, Sep). We are paid slightly more than the Kanto avg., but our research budgets and offices are acceptable. We cannot teach elsewhere

Many nat'l univ. are semi-autonomous so can set their pay scales, but some still use the civil servants' pay scale. Once civil servants receive a pay cut, no doubt the univ. will follow. My friend at one nat'l univ had his bonus cut and his research budget is now miniscule. Otoh, he does get to have long vacations which I never get.

Here, the powers that be seek to hire lecturers or assistant profs. There is also an age requirement in place in order to become a full prof and I suspect that this is to limit the total amount of remuneration. As we are always fighting to keep our numbers, performance in the classroom is carefully measured, plus there is a peer review "tribunal."

Jake: the pay scale is for all teaching staff.
                              Grover,

From your description, that sounds like you're at Kwansei Gakuin University. I've heard similar accounts of the situation there from teachers.

Comment

Working...
                              X