Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

applying for teaching jobs from South East Asia, little difficult so far

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• applying for teaching jobs from South East Asia, little difficult so far

I'm currently living in SEA, and applying for teaching jobs in Japan. The process so far has been more difficult than I imagined and I wondered if anyone with experience can offer any words of advice.

The main problem seems to be that I'm not residing in my country of origin (UK), this appears to have eliminated all of the big ESL companies (AEON, ECC) who only recruit from a few countries. I e-maillled but they don't recruit with just a phone/skype interview.

Many of the other jobs I've seen advertised, including many on this website, state that only those currently residing in Japan can apply. My funds are limited, so unfortunately I'm unable to hop on a plane and scout for work whilst in Japan itself. Korea has been suggested to me, but Japan is still my first choice.

Any help on schools within Tokyo looking who recruit outside? Or is it worth applying for some of these 'visa only' jobs on the off chance anyway?

Originally posted by lhasa67 View Post
    I'm currently living in SEA, and applying for teaching jobs in Japan. The process so far has been more difficult than I imagined and I wondered if anyone with experience can offer any words of advice.

The main problem seems to be that I'm not residing in my country of origin (UK), this appears to have eliminated all of the big ESL companies (AEON, ECC) who only recruit from a few countries. I e-maillled but they don't recruit with just a phone/skype interview.

Many of the other jobs I've seen advertised, including many on this website, state that only those currently residing in Japan can apply. My funds are limited, so unfortunately I'm unable to hop on a plane and scout for work whilst in Japan itself. Korea has been suggested to me, but Japan is still my first choice.

Any help on schools within Tokyo looking who recruit outside? Or is it worth applying for some of these 'visa only' jobs on the off chance anyway?
    I think applying for not SOME of "these visa only jobs" but for AS MANY AS YOU CAN is definitely worth it as it seems to be your only chance right now considering your financial situation and not being able to come here to Japan on 3 months turist visa. Give it a try and see what comes out. Cheers and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by lhasa67 View Post

Many want you to have a valid work visa and they dont necessarily want to sponsor you. Full time jobs attract sponsorship but if you are already here with a visa in your back pocket you make a more attractive candidate. Being in SEA with no more than a tourist visa and firing off CVs you are pretty much behind the 8 ball and at the mercy of whoever responds to you.

Virtually no employer will hire sight unseen and no guarantee you will get on a plane and turn up. Most want a warm body that they can talk to face-to -face.

Comment

OP, if you stick to this GP Forum long enough you will understand KansaiBen's bitterness and negativity. Please, try to apply anyway. It will cost you nothing more than firing off your resumes. Welcome to Japan!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderfool View Post
          OP, if you stick to this GP Forum long enough you will understand KansaiBen's bitterness and negativity. Please, try to apply anyway. It will cost you nothing more than firing off your resumes. Welcome to Japan!!!
          Have you ever heard of someone being hired sight unseen without an interview? I haven't. Have you heard of anyone being hired on a tourist visa and not even in the country? I haven't.

Comment

Advice #1.
            Search like crazy for those few employers who will do a Skype interview. Few and far between, but they exist.

Advice #2.
            Depending on your schedule and funds, come here at a good time of year and spend 2-3 months looking around. Contact potential employers before you arrive to minimize down time.

Advice #3.
            Go back to the UK. Look from there. Perhaps more places (like AEON, ECC) will be willing to talk to you.

Advice #4.
            Go back to the UK. Get a working holiday visa if you're eligible. Come here and look around. See #2. At least with a WHV you can stay longer.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
              Have you ever heard of someone being hired sight unseen without an interview? I haven't. Have you heard of anyone being hired on a tourist visa and not even in the country? I haven't.
              Yes Sir, I have. And it's quite recent thing. My friend did it, back in June 2010. Was hired from over seas. I know he was extremely lucky, so others may be as well, I think. Why not give it a try? The hope dies last.

Comment

Yeah, I've heard of people being hired from overseas, without work visas for Japan, through Skype interviews. They were hired for English teaching jobs in rural areas.

Comment

There are plenty of full time positions available if you are willing to live in northern Japan.

Comment

The friend of mine is making his/her carrier in a central part of Japan. How about that?

Comment

The friend of mine is making his/her carrier in a central part of Japan. How about that?
                      1. Where is he/she carrying it to?

2. How many central parts of Japan do you know of?
                      Last edited by KansaiBen; 2011-05-12, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                        1. Where is her carrying it to?

2. How many central parts of Japan do you know of?
                        Sorry, I"m a kidna slow ... Your velocity beats helloutame. Please, patience. I'm not the lucky native speaker as you are ...

Here are the shortest answers as I can get:

1. HIS ... (just for a correction) are not to be reliesed on the open forum.

2. many

Comment

we need English Teacher in Vietnam

Dear All Friends,
                          We are a organization for tourism and english training in Vietnam.
                          If some of you have a certification of teaching, University graduated and English good (IELTS, TOEFLF), please send us your CV, we can sign contract. and apply for offical working permit in Vietnam.
                          Thank you for your interest
                          weekendviettrek@gmail.com
                          our link to weekend trips in Vietnam with reasonable prices (from 150-200USD/persons/02days trip)
                          http://weekendviettrek.blogspot.com/...ngay-3-em.html

Comment

Sorry, I"m a kidna slow ... Your velocity beats helloutame. Please, patience. I'm not the lucky native speaker as you are ...

Here are the shortest answers as I can get:

1. HIS ... (just for a correction) are not to be reliesed on the open forum.

2. many
                            Hello, we need english Teachers with TEFL certificate in Vietnam, we will apply for Working permit and visa long term (01 year for you), Price: 600USD (full)/time
                            also we offer tours to Vietnam during weekend, plse see http://weekendviettrek.blogspot.com/...ngay-3-em.html for further details
                            email: weekendviettrek@gmail.com
                            Best Regards,
                            Jas

Comment

I initially went to places like AEON ECC and al those from within JP, none of them responded, didn't even need them to sponsor a visa. For those companies best bet is to try and look closer towards mid august or from feb when there seems to be a little more movement in the industry. Keep trying and apply to as many as you can and do it again in a few months if they don't respond.

Comment

Working...
                              X